HATRED- CUSTOMER SERVICE IN HK ELEMENTS

K21

O.G.
Jul 16, 2008
Chanel lovers! OMG I am soooooooo angry with my experience at Chanel this week!

I made a visit at a Chanel store in HK Elements, was my first time there as I usually shop in Peninsula Store.

Anyways, so I went in and asked for two bags to see.

And the lady there started asking questions-

Lady: did you ever buy a Chanel before?

Me: yes, of course.

Lady: in HK?

Me: yes

Lady: Can I have your name and you phone number so I can check your record? It is our company policy.

Me: what? I am not giving you my personal information so that you can just check on me to see if I bought a bag.
Are you saying that I cant see a bag is I have not bought a chanel before?
Lady: No.. I am not saying that but it is our company policy…

Me: No..that is not true, all my previous visits in any Chanel store was not like this! I am not willing to give out my personal information just to see a bag!

Lady: ok then, I will bring the bag for you just this time.

Me: you know what, can I speak to your manager?

Few minutes after, they said their manager is not there, so spoke to someone else.

She still said its company policy to give personal information to see nags as chanel bags are RARE! OMG

Then she said just this time I will show you the bag, so I said, no thanks, I can live without buying a bag. And I can buy it in other store. She still insisted to get my personal information after saying that whey will have their manager to contact me, but I didn’t have a good vibe. I asked for her biz card and left.

Made purchases in my usual store!
And the SA and their boutique manager confirmed me that is is not their policy!

I was even wearing a chanel bag and my mom beside me also!

Chanel lovers! Please tell me what you think!!

Reactions: Saltvinegar
That's really odd! I've purchased Chanel bags from multiple stores in HK on various occasions, and they never ask for my personal information first. Although, I did have a bad experience at the store in Harbour City last summer. We were designated to an older sales woman, and she seemed annoyed to be assigned to us (based on the way we looked and dressed, I assume). My mom and I were wearing very casual clothes and contemporary designer backpacks, so I guess it seemed like we didn't have much to spend. She was extremely rude, never made any suggestions, and even sighed multiple times when we asked to see items. I ended up only purchasing a card holder, and her demeanor changed as soon as I pulled out my wad of cash to pay! She made an audible gasp, and then asked if we were sure we didn't want to purchase the two other wallets we were looking at. I curtly told her that I will be purchasing those at another location thanks to our terrible experience with her.

Wow some SA really have the nerves... but I'm glad you stood up for yourself. I've never been asked for my information prior to agreeing to buy anything. This is also why I always stick with my SA, she gives me the best customer service.

Reactions: K21
I am so sorry to hear that! In HK, I found that most of the higher end luxury brands they seem to have very bad customer service. Usually if I do buy something from HK I normally go to Pacific Place. The service there is a lot better and less busy. When I was at Chanel at Pacific Place the SA was so sweet as to pull out all the bags that I mentioned that I wanted to see (last minute Christmas gift shopping for the mother) and she even recommended to me what bags we could share (hahaha!). Meanwhile at Celine on the other hand I was literally almost FORCED to buy a jumper that I didn't like and the SA there was so pushy it literally made me uncomfortable - I had to fake that I didnt bring my credit card with me so I could put that jumper on hold and purchase it another time (never went back). I also hate it when they judge you on what you are wearing. Like usually I wear a plain casual look and they look at me as though I am a nobody but when they spot the two Love bracelets and the watch of the day, their eyes just seem to bulge out a bit and then their service changes drastically. I hate when that happens.

I also realize those sales people in luxury brand in HK are rude and not professional at all. What makes them judge others by wearing casual or not carrying a branded bag has no money to purchase. I will not even buy from that store if they are not happy to serve us . What a shame

i was just in hk few months ago and i really hated shopping at lux stores too!!! They're soooo rude!!! My brother in law was shopping for a present for his gf and those sales were just straight up rude...i went chanel in taipei and their service was excellent. it really depends on who you get sometimes... and yes stick with the same SA when you shop local :smile:

Chanel lovers! OMG I am soooooooo angry with my experience at Chanel this week!

I made a visit at a Chanel store in HK Elements, was my first time there as I usually shop in Peninsula Store.

Anyways, so I went in and asked for two bags to see.

And the lady there started asking questions-

Lady: did you ever buy a Chanel before?

Me: yes, of course.

Lady: in HK?

Me: yes

Lady: Can I have your name and you phone number so I can check your record? It is our company policy.

Me: what? I am not giving you my personal information so that you can just check on me to see if I bought a bag.
Are you saying that I cant see a bag is I have not bought a chanel before?
Lady: No.. I am not saying that but it is our company policy…

Me: No..that is not true, all my previous visits in any Chanel store was not like this! I am not willing to give out my personal information just to see a bag!

Lady: ok then, I will bring the bag for you just this time.

Me: you know what, can I speak to your manager?

Few minutes after, they said their manager is not there, so spoke to someone else.

She still said its company policy to give personal information to see nags as chanel bags are RARE! OMG

Then she said just this time I will show you the bag, so I said, no thanks, I can live without buying a bag. And I can buy it in other store. She still insisted to get my personal information after saying that whey will have their manager to contact me, but I didn’t have a good vibe. I asked for her biz card and left.

Made purchases in my usual store!
And the SA and their boutique manager confirmed me that is is not their policy!

I was even wearing a chanel bag and my mom beside me also!

Chanel lovers! Please tell me what you think!!
Wow, what a shame this happened to you, so very sorry to hear this. That is crazy. So glad you asked to speak w/ manager, etc. & happy that you have your usual store & SA to help you. Best luck w/ happy chanel experiences moving forward.:flowers:

Oh dear! What bad, bad service! The last time i shopped at the lux stores in HK, i realize one gets waaaay better service if one speaks in Mandarin than Cantonese. The SAs think you are from Manland China aka Richie rich rich if you were to speak in Mandarin! So locals, Singaporeans, Malaysians, etc have no money to splurge?! Wait till they see Indonesian Chinese! But oh wait, those probably shop in Singapore.

Reactions: contributor
That's bad service! And what happens if someone is there to make their first chanel purchase? Can't see a bag if u haven't bought before means those people will never be able to buy????
I've never been to the elements store and prob won't then after reading this. I've only been to and shopped at harbour city with excellent service. I bought my boy bag there a few years ago, I had no intention of buying just browsing and the SA brought out so many bags for me to browse, including the dream boy combo that I didn't know existed (which I took home with me!)

My understanding is they were not asking from the perspective that you needed to have bought a bag before to be allowed to see it. They are asking because some stores enforce a bag limit and will only let you buy a certain number of bags in a certain time period (in many places this used to be 2 bags every 2-3months and this has now gone down to 1 bag and 4 slgs per 60 days). I experienced this - I had been saving up for a couple of bags that I knew I wanted from the cruise release - I managed to purchase one and then a few weeks later the other one became available - I tried to purchase and I was quoted this policy and they wouldn't sell it to me... (despite not having bought any other bags for months). Some stores/SAs seem much more rigorous at enforcing it than others (as I know there are many people who buy multiple bags no problem). They don't seem to enforce this policy at all in the US but I have heard people experiencing it in both Europe and Asia.

I found the whole experience humiliating and really put me off buying from them for a while. I was a customer willing to spend £1000s and they treated me like that...I'm not going to beg them to take my money....

I don't believe this and hearing this, I will not attempt to get a bag in hong kong ever. I have to say that my experiences in Singapore, Perth and thailand were alot better and even if Hong kong has a bag limit, they should explain it so that the customer will not be offended.

Reactions: Bisoux78
That's really odd! I've purchased Chanel bags from multiple stores in HK on various occasions, and they never ask for my personal information first. Although, I did have a bad experience at the store in Harbour City last summer. We were designated to an older sales woman, and she seemed annoyed to be assigned to us (based on the way we looked and dressed, I assume). My mom and I were wearing very casual clothes and contemporary designer backpacks, so I guess it seemed like we didn't have much to spend. She was extremely rude, never made any suggestions, and even sighed multiple times when we asked to see items. I ended up only purchasing a card holder, and her demeanor changed as soon as I pulled out my wad of cash to pay! She made an audible gasp, and then asked if we were sure we didn't want to purchase the two other wallets we were looking at. I curtly told her that I will be purchasing those at another location thanks to our terrible experience with her.
I found it odd too! My experiences in Harbour city was alright.. its really case by case experience in that boutique I think.
The SAs tend to be really annoyed at times( I assume due to the number of customers they serve per day) so when I dont feel happy there, I would simply go to a different store! ;) Since you mentioned the looks of what you were wearing at the time, I think SAs in Asia tend to do that alot. BUt in my personal opinion, people who cant afford will not be there. What they wear should not be a matter!!!

Wow some SA really have the nerves... but I'm glad you stood up for yourself. I've never been asked for my information prior to agreeing to buy anything. This is also why I always stick with my SA, she gives me the best customer service.
Thank you! I almost felt that I was such annoying customer!! But then I was so unhappy to spend my money there, if you know what I mean!

Just now I had a call with Chanel customer care, they asked me for the name of the SA so they can follow up with their management.

I am so sorry to hear that! In HK, I found that most of the higher end luxury brands they seem to have very bad customer service. Usually if I do buy something from HK I normally go to Pacific Place. The service there is a lot better and less busy. When I was at Chanel at Pacific Place the SA was so sweet as to pull out all the bags that I mentioned that I wanted to see (last minute Christmas gift shopping for the mother) and she even recommended to me what bags we could share (hahaha!). Meanwhile at Celine on the other hand I was literally almost FORCED to buy a jumper that I didn't like and the SA there was so pushy it literally made me uncomfortable - I had to fake that I didnt bring my credit card with me so I could put that jumper on hold and purchase it another time (never went back). I also hate it when they judge you on what you are wearing. Like usually I wear a plain casual look and they look at me as though I am a nobody but when they spot the two Love bracelets and the watch of the day, their eyes just seem to bulge out a bit and then their service changes drastically. I hate when that happens.
Hahahah I hear you totally! Celine could be pushy, specially at IFC and harbour city, they are overally nice to you and make you have to buy thigs!! I am totally using your tactic next time!! :biggrin:
At times when I shop in luxury shops, I feel like how much people spend in these shops to have a decent service???
But I saw SAs being super rude to some mainland Chinese...and I don't know why- almost scared me away.
My usual shopping place is Penninsula hotel as I mentions, less crowded, but not many items :sad:
Your mom much be happy to have you!!! (christmas gift!!)

oh yes. When I tend to dress 'less nice' recently i tend not to enter luxury shops, so that the SAs will not make me feel bad :S

PS I am going to follow you in instagram! (not a stocker!)

Reactions: L.Vuitton.Freak
I also realize those sales people in luxury brand in HK are rude and not professional at all. What makes them judge others by wearing casual or not carrying a branded bag has no money to purchase. I will not even buy from that store if they are not happy to serve us . What a shame
so sad... but shockingly I didnt stop shopping that day....hahah :S