Hate my Fryes!

Amina

Apr 13, 2006
I've put them up on Craigslist and if they don't sell there, I'm selling them on ebay. They are Fryes Engineer 15R in black and the darn things won't break in. Each time I think they've gotten comfortable, they find a new way to torture my feet. I think they are perverse. :nuts:

And yes, have tried shoe stretcher spray, the cobbler, wet socks, walking in them and wearing them all day and they just come up with new pain! As an Arabic saying goes, they've fallen out of my heart.

Totally regret not buying Clarks even though Clarks never last more than 18 months.

Sigh. Had to rant!

I recently sold my Frye boots because they were so heavy that by the end of the day, my feet were in horrible pain! I do not regret it, and will find something a bit more comfy for an everyday black boot.

I would keep wearing them with heavy DRY socks and bring a pair of shoes to change in to when they start to bother you. Might just be a gradual process with your feet.

Is there a particular spot that keeps bothering you? Can you loosen the buckles???

@Annemerrick Where did you sell yours, Craigslist or Ebay or somewhere else?
@Bebepurse, the spot keeps changing. Yesterday, I thought, finally! They are comfortable if heavy - that's a good thing for me - and I can wear these. But no, while for once I didn't get blisters - I'm spending lots on moleskin - they pressed down on the top of my feet so much that I spent the second half of the day in mild torture. and I kept shifting my feet to relieve the pressure and didn't dare take them off in case I couldn't get them back on again.

Not impressed with this brand and would not risk it again.

I feel you on the Fryes...they're definitely either a hit or a really big miss. I have a pair of Paige Tall Riding Boots that I've only worn once because they're uncomfortable. It's hard to explain but I just don't like them. I also have the Campus boots (only worn a couple times) and I can't get into them because they're too heavy and boxy. I wish I would have come to these conclusions BEFORE wearing them. :hrmm: I'll probably unload them on eBay soon while it's cold and people are in the market for boots.

Just a quick note... be careful about mentioning selling. It's against the rules to discuss selling here! :idea:

Not all Fryes are this miserable! I personally don't care for the Campus, Engineer, or Harness boots because they ARE so heavy. I ditched my Campus late 2008 because they were so miserable. Wore them three times and couldn't do any more than that. They ran oddly narrow and I felt like the only way they'd ever be comfy was if I chopped off my pinky toes. :S And they were SO HEAVY! I have to walk uphill on my college campus, and these boots KILLED me, they were so heavy! I felt like I was hiking up a mountain! I also got blisters with them, so off they went!

I have three pairs right now and am always looking to add more. I LOVE my Fryes. I think it's all about finding styles that work for you. I hate to see you ditching the brand totally!

I have had one pair, my Villager lace boots, for over four years. During those four years, they've been worn a great deal. They are still in great shape. No tears, no rips, no cracking and they're more comfortable than ever. I can wear my Catherines for more than 5 hours at work (I'm a SA at J. Crew, so I'm on my feet all day) with minimal pain.

If you want some rec's for lighter weight, comfy pairs, I'd be glad to give you some! :flowers:

I've put them up on Craigslist and if they don't sell there, I'm selling them on ebay. They are Fryes Engineer 15R in black and the darn things won't break in. Each time I think they've gotten comfortable, they find a new way to torture my feet. I think they are perverse. :nuts:

And yes, have tried shoe stretcher spray, the cobbler, wet socks, walking in them and wearing them all day and they just come up with new pain! As an Arabic saying goes, they've fallen out of my heart.

Totally regret not buying Clarks even though Clarks never last more than 18 months.

Sigh. Had to rant!

Hi Amina!:flowers:
I'm so sorry that you are having such a terrible time with your Frye's!
If you don't mind what exactly are they doing you that is torturing you so bad?
If it is the width of the Foot bed that can be stretched very easily providing that you didn't buy the boots to way to small to begin with.
The one thing I know about stretching Frye's is 1 you need to use shoe stretching tools and spray to make this work.
Especially on the pairs with the thicker leather.
This usually takes soaking the inside of very heavily and leaving the stretcher
in place for at least 12 to 16 hours to allow it to dry throughly.
Also you may have to do this several times to get the right shape for your foot.
If it is the instep height or the shank width these can be stretched in the same manner as the width of the foot.
I just takes time and usually repeated times of stretching to get that perfect fit.
Also if you are trying to shrink them on your foot then wet socks would be the right thing to do.
Otherwise if your trying to make the larger then the only way is to use a stretcher as I have described above.
I hope this helps and you give it a second chance!;)
If you have any questions I would love to help you out with getting these to fit!

Don't give up on Fryes, some just aren't a good fit. Others will fit your feet great! Breaking them in takes a little work but if you have been trying forever then maybe they just are not the right ones for you.

Also, have you tried the ziploc baggie with water method? Fill two freezer type ziploc baggies with water then put them into the boot. Throw the boot with the baggies into the freezer and allow them to freeze. The frozen water will expand and stretch the boot. Then take them out once fully frozen and allow them to sit on your counter to completely defrost. The condensation will soften the leather and stretch the boot. It might work or it might not. Make sure the baggies fill the entire toe/boot before freezing.

Good Luck!

For what I'm looking for, Coach boots usually do the trick for me, and I've gotten them both at around 65% off. Frye's are cute, but I rarely find good deals on them to justify the purchase...esp. now that you're saying they aren't always comfy the way Coach boots are.

I'll give it one more try with the freezer ziplock method but to be honest, they've lost their appeal for me after all this. right now, I feel like I need to make a double purchase on boots to get a pair I can use now. I bought these fryes on sale back in August, thinking I'd break them in by now and they're just not comfortable (and yes, they're the right size). Like I said, when I thought they'd finally got comfortable, with moleskin and duct tape layersthey started crushing my foot from the top. I was in *&^%.

right now, they are sitting in the corner like naughty children!