Has St. Louis quality improved for 2017-2018?

Well, I think I can weigh in some on this. :smile:

So my first Goyard (I have only Hermes, Moynat, and a Faure le Page bags so far) was an Artois. This has become my preferred work bag as the canvas is so much thicker than the St. Louis and the zipper makes it a lot easier to throw underneath the plane seat (I travel a lot for work). I had hoped my zippered Faure Le Page would fit that bill since the canvas on it feels thicker but for me it narrowed too much in the base that I felt like my computer would sit awkwardly in it.

Anyhow - long story short and more to the point of your ask - I couldnt get out of my head how effortless and "soft" in a great way that the St Louis is. My Artois is thick and it is much more firm. I wanted that kind of soft bag that I could fold in on itself, that I could fold into my suitcase and would be super flexible and light. So while in NYC this week I felt like I HAD to get a St. Louis GM.

One thing that I noticed on my new bag is that the handles are finished much like my Artois handles and I don't think I will be seeing cracking. The new handles that I have on my Goyard don't appear to have been coated with a wax like puffy paint but are rather seem more burnished and reminds me similarly of edging paint folks like Hermes uses.. here is the pic of the traditional handles of the St. Louis and then my new one.

First pic is a close up of handles posted on this forum before

The second is the new handles

View attachment 3968585

View attachment 3968589
Thanks for sharing, lovetheduns! :smile:
Just thought I would add this for reference. This was just purchased in Paris last month. I think it’s the older version of the glazing? I’m trying to compare to the grey picture of above. Maybe it’s not quite as puffy? I don’t know :smile: lol.
It doesn't look quite as puffy, amstevens714. I'd like to have a St Louis GM black/tan but if the glazing cracks, I don't know... :wondering: I hope the glazing on the black/black is better.

Just FYI, The St Louis is a BEACH tote. I purchased over the phone thru the NM Chicago Boutique, site unseen. I Love the Goyard look in photos, but in person, the ST Louis quality reminded me of an oil cloth/table cloth. It's very thin and only lined with a thin linen. The pouchette snap is heavy and felt like it would eventually pull thru the fabric. The quality does NOT represent a $1400 bag. I'm certain there would be a hole in every corner within a month if I carried this as a handbag. Here's the Goyard catch, the receipt says if you purchase at NM Chicago, you have 14 days to return IN store only. No info regarding phone orders.... When I received the beach tote, I called for a return tag, and was denied. I had to argue with the SA for 20 minutes before Angela, the manger, got on the phone. After another 20 min of arguing, she agreed to take it back as long as I had not removed the plastic off the handles, at my expense. Lesson learned! Unless you want a BEACH bag, keep looking past the ST Louis. As me, I'll never cheat on LV again.

Reactions: crisbac
Just FYI, The St Louis is a BEACH tote. I purchased over the phone thru the NM Chicago Boutique, site unseen. I Love the Goyard look in photos, but in person, the ST Louis quality reminded me of an oil cloth/table cloth. It's very thin and only lined with a thin linen. The pouchette snap is heavy and felt like it would eventually pull thru the fabric. The quality does NOT represent a $1400 bag. I'm certain there would be a hole in every corner within a month if I carried this as a handbag. Here's the Goyard catch, the receipt says if you purchase at NM Chicago, you have 14 days to return IN store only. No info regarding phone orders.... When I received the beach tote, I called for a return tag, and was denied. I had to argue with the SA for 20 minutes before Angela, the manger, got on the phone. After another 20 min of arguing, she agreed to take it back as long as I had not removed the plastic off the handles, at my expense. Lesson learned! Unless you want a BEACH bag, keep looking past the ST Louis. As me, I'll never cheat on LV again.

It's been mentioned over and over again that STL is a beach tote. Even Goyard says it's a beach tote. I think people are led astray due to the constant question asking to the compare LV NF vs STL when the former is a regular tote bag, and the latter is a beach tote. So, this is comparing apples to oranges.

Once a cheater, always a cheater. j/k of course. :P:giggle:

It's been mentioned over and over again that STL is a beach tote. Even Goyard says it's a beach tote. I think people are led astray due to the constant question asking to the compare LV NF vs STL when the former is a regular tote bag, and the latter is a beach tote. So, this is comparing apples to oranges.

Once a cheater, always a cheater. j/k of course. :P:giggle:
Yes, no comparison on quality. I'll keep using my free Ikea bag as a BEACH tote. I'll try not to cheat again. LV has forgiven me.

Well, I think I can weigh in some on this. :smile:

So my first Goyard (I have only Hermes, Moynat, and a Faure le Page bags so far) was an Artois. This has become my preferred work bag as the canvas is so much thicker than the St. Louis and the zipper makes it a lot easier to throw underneath the plane seat (I travel a lot for work). I had hoped my zippered Faure Le Page would fit that bill since the canvas on it feels thicker but for me it narrowed too much in the base that I felt like my computer would sit awkwardly in it.

Anyhow - long story short and more to the point of your ask - I couldnt get out of my head how effortless and "soft" in a great way that the St Louis is. My Artois is thick and it is much more firm. I wanted that kind of soft bag that I could fold in on itself, that I could fold into my suitcase and would be super flexible and light. So while in NYC this week I felt like I HAD to get a St. Louis GM.

One thing that I noticed on my new bag is that the handles are finished much like my Artois handles and I don't think I will be seeing cracking. The new handles that I have on my Goyard don't appear to have been coated with a wax like puffy paint but are rather seem more burnished and reminds me similarly of edging paint folks like Hermes uses.. here is the pic of the traditional handles of the St. Louis and then my new one.

First pic is a close up of handles posted on this forum before

The second is the new handles

View attachment 3968585

View attachment 3968589
Thanks for the photos and your feedback on the St. Louis vs Artois! How are the bags holding up a year later?

Reactions: asant217