Has anyone's SO surprised them w/ an e-ring w/o their input?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I was wondering how many of your boyfriends bought your engagement rings and surprised you without any of your input?
    And if so, how did you feel about it?
    Did any of you really dislike the ring and how did you handle that situation?

2. My husband knows me well enough to know that I DO NOT tolerate surprises in regards to me. I hate them. So there was no way he was going to not involve me in the ring. However, I know a lot of women DO want to be surprised, and I still think there needs to be a fair amount of prep work for that. I think a guy should know what she wants, and should find out from her if he doesn't know. A proposal itself can still be a surprise if they ring itself isn't entirely a surprise.

3. My husband surprised me!
    He has great taste...I love my ring.
    That said, he had a pretty good idea what I liked ahead of time.

4. i chose my diamond and my setting.

5. I am in the process of choosing both my diamond and my setting. My boyfriend really wanted it to be a surprise, but ultimately he just wants me to love my ring so he gave me free reign.

6. My husband picked my ring without any input from me.

It was ugly and I hated it, but he didn't know that. The diamond was overpriced and not that great of a cut. The setting was a dainty white gold setting, and I hate anything dainty or white gold. How did I handle it? I reset it (many times) but was always too chickensh*t to tell him I hated the diamond. Lots of resentment built up over the years. Needless to say, it was not a healthy situation for anyone. Finally I just got rid of the ring entirely, and bought myself one I loved.

7. You may get more response w/ an adequate title.

I can change it to "Has anyone's SO surprised them w/ an e-ring?'

8. No, mine knew better :-s
    We talked about it long before he proposed, he knew I wanted a princess {back then ;)} he had it set on a plain band then we chose a setting together.

9. No, he didn't want to spend a lot of money on a ring I didn't absolutely love :smile:

10. Sure whatever you think is best!

11. I'm sorry but I had to laugh at your first words, sorry it ended so badly.

12. My husband picked up my e-ring by himself. He says that the setting was the most difficult part because he knew I didn't want plain and like bling/intricacy but not ostentatious.

I asked him to get a "ring squad" of my friends when the time came but he refused. I'm. I wasn't sure about the ring when he first proposed and he was ok with my resetting as long as it was the same center stone. I thought I wanted something more blingy and was thinking of a micro pave setting (raised and rounded if that makes sense). I actually posted it here at the time and everyone told me to stay with his first, from both sentimentality and also for looks.

Now I love it and really happy I stayed with my original e-ring. It is a more vintage style and he is so pleased when I tell him ppl compliment it all the time. Even a very senior woman in my company who's one of the most highest paid women in the US. It's not a huge stone but it helps I have a small finger size ha.

Not so great pics but you get the idea :smile:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391816246.734535.jpg

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1391816483.517222.jpg

13. My fiancé surprised me on our trip to the Dominican! I'd always thought I wanted a traditional halo (not floating) and my fiancé has a thing for 3 stones which I wasn't very fond of. So he compromised with a 3 stone halo ring from Neil Lane :smile: I was surprised by how much I love it and wouldn't change it for anything in the world!

14. My husband new that I wanted a brilliant cut solitaire diamond with a pave band. He chose a 3 stone ring and I wasn't sure at first but quickly came around and I do love it.

At least I told him that I only wanted a diamond. He had originally planned to buy a huge emerald. And that is not my thing.

15. My fiancé asked me to show him what I prefer. Although I love bands that have intricate designs on other women, I know what I prefer on myself. I showed him the kind of style I wanted and he custom made my e-ring. It's bold yet simple at the same time - 2 carat round brilliant solitaire with a micro pave band. I love the setting he chose and the prong design.

He said that he needed my input especially since I'll be wearing it every day.