Has anyone used a clampless curling iron?

I use one at times. I have SUPER thick hair so it takes me a little longer than if I use a regular curling iron. I do like that you can do 3 different looks with the iron though! I go between a clampless iron, chi 1/2", and wigo 1". I think these clampless ones work best with longer hair and you have to get use to doing it.

You can just ignore the clamp on your curling iron or completely take it off (I'm not sure how to do that though) and it should work the same. I love how curls turn out when you curl it without the clamp. It does make your arm tired and a bit more time consuming

I'm still trying to figure out how to use the clamped one!

LOL! I know what you mean.

When I cut my hair just above shoulder length I wrapped it around my 1inch curling iron (didn't use the clamp) and it turned out great! It did take forever but looks better than just curling it regularly. I always try to recreat it but it never looks the same haha. I think I need more practice ;)

Thanks for the suggestions and video! Why do the basic instructions say to clamp the ends and roll it up towards the root? It makes sense but doesn't work if you have layers because the clamp only grabs the longest hairs. My hair is shoulder length and I have a 1.5-inch curling iron because I'm not trying to make the hair curly, just give shape to the waves I already have. Don't you burn your fingers by the time you get to the bottom of the hair if you're rolling it from the top?

Because my hair is so long, I don't like applying direct heat to my ends so my fingers never really get burned when I roll from middle of my hair and down..I usually just hold the bottom inch or so of my hair away from the heat. It makes it a bit more imperfect. I definitely don't need any more damage to the ends than normal daily wear will give since it is essentially "old" hair.

Thanks for the suggestions and video! Why do the basic instructions say to clamp the ends and roll it up towards the root? It makes sense but doesn't work if you have layers because the clamp only grabs the longest hairs. My hair is shoulder length and I have a 1.5-inch curling iron because I'm not trying to make the hair curly, just give shape to the waves I already have. Don't you burn your fingers by the time you get to the bottom of the hair if you're rolling it from the top?

You should be using a glove with a clampless iron. The Enzo Milano for example comes with the glove that way you can wrap ALL of the hair around the iron so you don't get those straight ends. There's no way you can get a full strand of curls if you use your fingers. It will definitely burn your fingers

You can just ignore the clamp on your curling iron or completely take it off (I'm not sure how to do that though) and it should work the same. I love how curls turn out when you curl it without the clamp. It does make your arm tired and a bit more time consuming

I do this -- my hair is very long, and I curl it with the clamp closed. Since it is the same material as the body of the curling iron, heat transfers through it. I just wrap my hair around the entire thing, and then just hold the hair around it with my hand for a few seconds. It works so well! My sister has long, thick hair and I curled all of it for a dance a few years ago using this method:
ry%3D400

Wow, thanks for the video frostedcouture. I have never even heard of a clampless curling iron until now. I have long, stick-straight, fine, blonde hair. I have tried a traditional curling iron before but it never turns out right. I've also tried hot rollers and those just seem to give me frizzy ends, which I'm sure is due to my lack of technique. Sometimes I just wish that I could switch it up a bit and give my hair some loose curls/waves. Maybe I'll try the clampless curling iron.