Tech Has anyone updated their iPads?

Aug 14, 2009
I just saw that apple came out with an update for the ipad today. So has anyone updated?? I want to but am hesitant after how it went with the iphone. But I guess it will include folders, multitasking and a bunch of other perks that I dont want to list :P

So care to share your thoughts or experiences?? Is it worth it?

My DH is a developer so I've actually had 4.2 on my iPad since last week. I LOVE the folders and email is now usable on my iPad with the integrated inbox. Took me 2 hours today to download 4.2.1. I'm very happy with the update

It's not official? What's the difference from the one you can download today? I was going to update tomorrow when I get back from my trip but if it's better to wait until Wednesday, then I will.

Generally the difference between the official vs. non official is that the beta versions (unofficial) aren't supportable (you wont be able to get support for it) in case there is an issue with the download.

My wife (a super woman in every way) made me a surprise 40th B-day party and all my friends got me an ipad for the event. I know I am missing something but what is the main gap that its supposed to fill? Seriously, (its a cute toy and convenient, granted) but as I am mainly a laptop user (my work machine is a mac book pro) which goes everywhere with me what should I be using the iPad for? Serious question here. How do you all use your iPads?

Generally the difference between the official vs. non official is that the beta versions (unofficial) aren't supportable (you wont be able to get support for it) in case there is an issue with the download.

Thanks, but the 22nd release wasn't a beta version. I was referring to the poster above who said it's official on the 24th and not to update until then. I thought they were the same version so I was wondering why it's better to wait. Although, it sounds like it is the same by the responses.

Thanks, but the 22nd release wasn't a beta version. I was referring to the poster above who said it's official on the 24th and not to update until then. I thought they were the same version so I was wondering why it's better to wait. Although, it sounds like it is the same by the responses.

Good morning. I don't mean beta in the literal sense of original test version. I mean similar to when android recently launched flash software (programming language used on many web sites) which was available on many " rogue" sites weeks before the actual release. Yeah you could get it but if anything happened to the phone you were on your own until the official version waz released as an android update.

In this case if it was available on apples site then clearly it was legit and waiting was unnecessary.

Oh ok thanks. That cleared it up. I know some people who were getting their hands on it early and it messed their iPad up when they couldn't establish that they were an authorized developer. I was anxious but not that desperate.

I did update but cant figure out why it cant connect to my printer..LOL

Does this answer your question?

What Apple did not highlight is that AirPrint works on only a very small subset of available wireless printers, 11, according to Apple's AirPrint information page, all of which are made by Hewlett Packard & Co. Anyone with one of the many wireless printers available from Lexmark, Epson, Canon, Brother or Samsung won’t be able to use the service. Nor does AirPrint yet work with most of HP's other wireless printers, including any of its lower-cost Officejet models.

A post from PC Magazine notes that six more HP models, including Officejets, will be available after Dec. 27, and that Apple will support other manufacturers "down the road." Apple did not immediately respond to questions about which manufacturers would be supported, or when.

^Thanks!yes,I just googled that info too!
They better add more printers or its kinda worthless!
I travel with mine so if i could print out airline tickets while away,that would be AWESOME