Tech Has anyone switched from a PC to a Mac?

SuzyZ

Francophile
Nov 2, 2005
Would love some opinions on this as I am thinking of switching from Dell to Apple - but am a little nervous because I know my XP system so well and know nothing about the Mac's - TIA!!!

I did it recently but now Im back on PC but I do also use MAC on and off. Let me just say these are hard to use unless you know alot about them.

Also if you want microsoft word or anything then these are quite expensive, I now have Microsoft word on mine but its some what harder to use and doesnt have as many features as the XP one.

I find that MAC's are good for business and the internet (safari) is good to use, they do have many features but its hard to get used to. IMO XP is better to use and has all the features I want but the MAC doesnt get viruses and is better for college work and if you are into music garageband is good.

I found the transition to be really easy. Macs have really good help files, so if I didn't know how to do something I found an answer for how to do it within a few seconds, even though I had never used Microsoft help because it's useless and takes forever to get what you want. Having to get word separately is definitely annoying though.

I've been using a PC all my life, but about 2 months ago I purchased a Macbook. I have to say that I love it so far. I'm still learning stuff about it, but it seems pretty easy to navigate through programs and learn the little tricks. I know Apple also offers tutorials to help w/ new Apple users. They just came out with a new OS recently as well, and I was able to upgrade for only $10.

I purchased the MS Office bundle at my school for a discount ($64) which has word, excel, entourage (same as outlook) and powerpoint- so far they all seem pretty easy to use. The laptops/computers themselves look a lot nicer, and they are less susceptible to viruses. If you are looking into a laptop, I have to say that the Macbooks are really portable and fit perfectly in many of my purses :smile:

I have and I will never go back again. I LOVE my MAC and have never had one problem with it (knocks on wood!) It is kind of weird when you first switch but you get used to everything really quickly and it is totally worth it!

I say ABSOLUTLY it is worth your while to switch

I switched and I will never go back! :biggrin: There is a bit of a learing curve, but don't let that get you down, as soon as you've gotten used to it, you'll never want to go back to pc. It's so much easier to use and so straightforward, I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat :smile:

This is really great information, because I am also thinking about switching from a PC to a MAC.
I just can't take the constant virus that I'm getting with my PC!
It's great to hear the the learning curve is short.
My only issue would be that I would need to purchase the PC bundle to install on the MAC which can be quite pricey!

My husband uses a mac, he says the firewall is second to none so if you are after good security it is good. I use a pc and get viruses regularly:shrugs:

I love my PC...never had a virus. I don't understand how people always get viruses. Set up a virus blocker, set it for auto virus definition file updates, and you're done.

I'll more than likely never own a Mac.

I did the swap recently bc I wanted a macbook pro and liked the idea of being able to link & sync everything onto my ipod. Also being able to run windows as well as mac software was a bonus...and I made the switch and got a free printer, as well.... with a PC, you can only do pc stuff.

I loved my pc desktop and like someone said...virus protection software & regular upgrades... i never had a problem...though my desktop did just go kaput on me, so i have to take it in to see if it's fixable.

I'm still learning about all the things i can do with my mac, but it took me forever to learn my pc, too...

I did it the other way around, started with a MAC and went to a PC. DH uses a MAC and he's always buying things for it. Only money I have spent is buying a cheap laptop when I became laid up. MAC didn't have a cheapie one.

Seems to me DH had had to replace his motherboard and hard drive in the last few years, either that or he just HAD to have some new MAC doohickey.

Supposedly MAC's are easier to do graphics and yes, most viruses aren't written for MAC's, but in 10 years of owning a PC, and the last four with this little laptop, I've NEVER gotten a virus either.

Another draw-back I found with MACS is that since we live in a small town, DH has to go to a bigger city nearby to get his or his Mom's fixed, while I can get mine taken care of locally. I think MAC upplayed the virus angle so much, people think little gremlins live in their comps.

And, at LEAST once a week, DH's mom is calling him to come over to fix something on her computer. A MAC!

i just switched, and i'll never go back. i read an article on pcworld recently about how mac was now officially the maker of the most reliable computers on the market. i had a top-of-the-line HP special edition laptop with Vista and LOATHED it. i'm pretty computer literate and thought i'd never switch (i thought mac people were obsessive and elitist), but after having vista and the new version of microsoft office, i completely lost my patience with microsoft as a company and went out and bought a macbook pro. i have zero complaints ever since. it was very easy for me to learn and any questions i've had were easily answered with a quick search. Vista, on the other hand, was unfixable no matter how much work and time i put into it. i downloaded all the updates, i did everything that everyone recommended, and i still encountered tons of problems. i'm running leopard on my mbp, and i haven't had a single problem.