Has anyone successfully worked from home?

Demosthenes

Oct 17, 2006
I was contemplating working from home because the cost of buying a new car, gas, additional insurance, daycare, etc. would eat away at the salary I'd make working part-time.

Are there any good careers that I could pursue? Any suggestions? I really don't even know where to start. :confused1: I have a varied background and excellent references, so I'd be able to get my foot in the door for most entry-level positions even if its not in my field.

I think it's entirely possible depending on the type of work you want to do and the company (or becoming self-employed).

For example there are many customer service jobs that can be done at home over the phone. Examples are AT&T home customer service and JetBlue reservations. If you're interested in this type of work, you might want to check out this site: http://www.littlewhiteebook.com/ I've never read it but supposedly it has useful information.

For people with experience in a particular field and an "entreprenuerial" spirit, launching a business like freelance marketing & communications, website design, resume writing/career counseling, training development, and independent financial investing etc. can be run from home.

I work at home in the US for a Fortune 500 company with a very liberal work from home policy for those in midlevel-to-senior positions in non-client facing roles. My responsibilities are 100% in the Asia Pacific region, so when I'm in the US, I work entirely from home. I still go into my offices, but only when I'm traveling through Asia. But I think this is still the exception rather than the rule, but I'd bet more US-based companies might consider this model, since commuting costs and commercial real estate costs continue to increase.

Hope this helps and good luck!! :flowers:

^^Like Redney, I work for a large health care company, from home. Many of the people in my company work from home and our meetings are on the phone or webex. I do travel at times, but otherwise I am in my home office all day. Working from home requires disipline. My position is considered "senior" level. Good luck.

I have tried alpineaccess, and would neve do it again..They expect you to do so much for so little...I tried it because I am in college, but rather be in the pharmacy.

Thanks for the tips! The scopist one looks the most similar to what I got most of my training in (advanced English, poly sci/law). Tammy, how were the scopist training classes? I did a quick google search and some said they run up to $10,000. Is that true?

Emotus, a stable income would be nice, but I'm used to working freelance so it's hit or miss. How did you set up your business? My biggest problem is locating stock that I could make profit on.

That's cool. So they let you do it over the computer? How does that work?

Yep, I have a sign in and password to sign into their network and do the work from there. A lot is also done in excel.They fed-ex the paper work that I need for the billing to my house. I have a friend that is high up in the company, so that is how I got the job.

I'm jealous. :P That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for- a part time job from home that is fairly easy to do with minimal start-up training.

I wonder if the whole stuffing envelopes thing is still around... :P