Has anyone successfully worked from home?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I was contemplating working from home because the cost of buying a new car, gas, additional insurance, daycare, etc. would eat away at the salary I'd make working part-time.

Are there any good careers that I could pursue? Any suggestions? I really don't even know where to start. :confused1: I have a varied background and excellent references, so I'd be able to get my foot in the door for most entry-level positions even if its not in my field.

2. Heh... I guess this was just a pipe dream. Working from home isn't very feasible, huh?

3. How about medical transcribing? :smile:

4. I think it's entirely possible depending on the type of work you want to do and the company (or becoming self-employed).

For example there are many customer service jobs that can be done at home over the phone. Examples are AT&T home customer service and JetBlue reservations. If you're interested in this type of work, you might want to check out this site: http://www.littlewhiteebook.com/ I've never read it but supposedly it has useful information.

For people with experience in a particular field and an "entreprenuerial" spirit, launching a business like freelance marketing & communications, website design, resume writing/career counseling, training development, and independent financial investing etc. can be run from home.

I work at home in the US for a Fortune 500 company with a very liberal work from home policy for those in midlevel-to-senior positions in non-client facing roles. My responsibilities are 100% in the Asia Pacific region, so when I'm in the US, I work entirely from home. I still go into my offices, but only when I'm traveling through Asia. But I think this is still the exception rather than the rule, but I'd bet more US-based companies might consider this model, since commuting costs and commercial real estate costs continue to increase.

Hope this helps and good luck!! :flowers:

5. ^^Like Redney, I work for a large health care company, from home. Many of the people in my company work from home and our meetings are on the phone or webex. I do travel at times, but otherwise I am in my home office all day. Working from home requires disipline. My position is considered "senior" level. Good luck.

6. I've worked at home for ten years now as a scopist. I edit transcripts for court reporters.

7. I have an online business selling apparel. Not sure what kind of job would you prefer as in those with stable home based income or..?

8. I have tried alpineaccess, and would neve do it again..They expect you to do so much for so little...I tried it because I am in college, but rather be in the pharmacy.

9. Thanks for the tips! The scopist one looks the most similar to what I got most of my training in (advanced English, poly sci/law). Tammy, how were the scopist training classes? I did a quick google search and some said they run up to $10,000. Is that true?

Emotus, a stable income would be nice, but I'm used to working freelance so it's hit or miss. How did you set up your business? My biggest problem is locating stock that I could make profit on.

10. I work about 20hrs a week doing payroll and billing for a company. It's not exactly a career, but it pays my bills while I am in school.

11. That's cool. So they let you do it over the computer? How does that work?

12. Yep, I have a sign in and password to sign into their network and do the work from there. A lot is also done in excel.They fed-ex the paper work that I need for the billing to my house. I have a friend that is high up in the company, so that is how I got the job.

13. I'm jealous. :P That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for- a part time job from home that is fairly easy to do with minimal start-up training.

I wonder if the whole stuffing envelopes thing is still around... :P

14. I'm not but I would love to know more! This sounds interesting.

15. What about bookkeeping?