Has anyone successfully used Apple Leather Care (conditioner) on their MK bags?

Mrs. Mac

Purse Queen
Dec 11, 2008
This question has been on my mind as the very cold weather is here....I keep thinking our skin gets SO dry, wouldnt a leather bag get dry? Has anyone successfully used Apple Leather Care (the conditioner cream, NOT the cleaner or spray) on their Michael Kors leather bags? My DH just bought me a gorgeous oversized ID chain hobo and I want to make sure the bag will stay nice through the winter. I did spray it with the Michael Kors rain/stain guard, but I am not sure if I should put the conditioner on as well.....I am afraid that the color will come off!!!!!.....would love to hear from anyone on any conditioning/moisturizing you do!!!!! TIA!!!!

This question has been on my mind as the very cold weather is here....I keep thinking our skin gets SO dry, wouldnt a leather bag get dry? Has anyone successfully used Apple Leather Care (the conditioner cream, NOT the cleaner or spray) on their Michael Kors leather bags? My DH just bought me a gorgeous oversized ID chain hobo and I want to make sure the bag will stay nice through the winter. I did spray it with the Michael Kors rain/stain guard, but I am not sure if I should put the conditioner on as well.....I am afraid that the color will come off!!!!!.....would love to hear from anyone on any conditioning/moisturizing you do!!!!! TIA!!!!

Hi Mrs. Mac.....

My rain and stain guard from Michael Kors came today and I also received the conditoner. I have two leather quilted Hamiltons that will need to be sprayed. I was going to use the conditioner but I think I will wait to hear more from the ladies. Reveal your new bag....!:smile: I will be uploading pics of my new beauties sometime soon!:yahoo:

I have to take my own pics to do a reveal....maybe over the weekend! I did show it in our thread where we show our bags though! It is a stock photo. What conditioner did you buy? the Apple or the Michael Kors? I cant wait to hear what everyone says!!!

Hi Mrs. Mac.....

My rain and stain guard from Michael Kors came today and I also received the conditoner. I have two leather quilted Hamiltons that will need to be sprayed. I was going to use the conditioner but I think I will wait to hear more from the ladies. Reveal your new bag....!:smile: I will be uploading pics of my new beauties sometime soon!:yahoo:

PS: congrats on your new bags!!!! What colors did you choose???!!!!

I have an MK black leather pleated tote and I just used apple conditioner on it this past weekend and it came out beautifully. She had been stored for awhile and I thought she looked a little dry. So it worked for me. Good luck.

No real need to condition a new bag leather bag. Just the rain protectant spray should be good. Under normal use conditioning should only be done after a couple of years.

No real need to condition a new bag leather bag. Just the rain protectant spray should be good. Under normal use conditioning should only be done after a couple of years.

Thank you SO much! The SA at my boutique told me that I dont need to condition and to just use the rain/stain guard spray to protect from the elements.....I wasnt sure since I frequent a few other groups on this forum and everyone seems to use Apple conditioner! I will wait a couple of years like you said! Thanks again!!!

I usually only condition my MK bags after 1 or 2 years of using them. The only thing that I make sure I do right away is spray the bags with a waterproofing/dirt repelling spray. Personally I use Collonil since I seem to be able to use this product on all of my leather goods and I know it is available in North America.

Thank you!!!! I sprayed my bag with Michael Kors rain/stain guard when DH gave it to me....I did get caught in a HUGE downpour this week and there are NO spots on my bag!!!! I am wondering how often I should spray it now!!!! Anyone have any ideas? Do you spray the rain/stain spray after you are caught in a rainstorm, or just once a year? TIA everyone!!!

Thank you!!!! I sprayed my bag with Michael Kors rain/stain guard when DH gave it to me....I did get caught in a HUGE downpour this week and there are NO spots on my bag!!!! I am wondering how often I should spray it now!!!! Anyone have any ideas? Do you spray the rain/stain spray after you are caught in a rainstorm, or just once a year? TIA everyone!!!

I would follow the recommendations on the product. Generally, I would use the protectant every one or two years as well. If you over due products it might prevent the leather from breathing. You can test the protectant by splashing some water on the leather and see if it beads and or rolls off.

I can't remember the name, but I know it's a protectant that claims to protect everything from leather to canvas. I buy it at walgreens, it's near the shoe shines. But I spray every leather and canvas bag I own with this stuff. I even spray my shoes. So far it works wonderfully! I think as long as it is a good product it should work. I've been using the stuff on my bags and shoes for years. One thing I will say is if you have a leather that's supposed to "turn" over time, it makes the turning take a LOT longer

I would follow the recommendations on the product. Generally, I would use the protectant every one or two years as well. If you over due products it might prevent the leather from breathing. You can test the protectant by splashing some water on the leather and see if it beads and or rolls off.

The bottle doesnt give a recommendation. I was thinking exactly what you said about preventing the leather from breathing.....that's what I was questioning.....I want the leather to breathe!!!!! :smile:

I've never used anything on any of my 15+ bags and have never had a problem. But my bags don't get too exposed to the weather (just from whatever parking lot I am in to whatever building I am going to), and I'm pretty anal about where I place them - never on floors, dirty counters, etc.

I'm more scared of the actual products than I am of the bag getting dirty or whatever.

Personally I spray my MK bags every 3-4 months especially if I find myself caught in really bad weather conditions. To date I have never had any problems. All of the pursues still look great. However, I do condition the leathers about once a year. By doing this I am adding the moisture back into the leather which leather looses naturally over time. As I said I do use the Collonil products so if I were you I would check with the retailer of your leather care products just to make sure.
Thank you! I think as my bags get "older" and I use them more I will conditon with the Apple Leather Care.....I will only spray with the MK rain/stain guarde though!!!!!! Thanks for the tip on the product you use! I'll look for it!