has anyone seen a thin white film on the legacy handbags

MeanKat

Jun 20, 2012
I’m hoping someone can tell me if they have seen this issue on the Legacy handbags.

A friend of mine just picked up the Legacy Leather Duffle in Cognac and showed it to me today; she wanted to know what I thought of the finish. As soon as I saw it I knew there was something wrong with the leather, it’s almost like there is a white film over the whole bag almost like someone has used some kind of heavy leather moisturizer on it. When you feel the leather it doesn’t have that stiff or firm feel that the legacy duffle have when first purchased, it feels soft and buttery already.

She hasn’t taken the price tag off yet, so I told her to exchange the bag for another and that she should ask to see the new bag before they exchange it so you can compare. I know it’s not going to be an issue I’m just surprised that they didn’t catch it themselves; since I spotted it in like two seconds…... But then again I’ve been staring at this lovely bag on this forum for months.;)

If she still has the tags on it and she's not 100% sure she likes the finish, I'd tell her to take it back to the store and exchange it for another! The ladies at my Coach store are very nice and will bring out different ones for me to chose from so I'm sure they will do that at her store too. I've had the same service at stores like Nordstrom too.

I have the same duffle and I noticed that my leather was very soft/buttery right when I got it but it did not look as if it had a white film on it.

If she still has the tags on it and she's not 100% sure she likes the finish, I'd tell her to take it back to the store and exchange it for another! The ladies at my Coach store are very nice and will bring out different ones for me to chose from so I'm sure they will do that at her store too. I've had the same service at stores like Nordstrom too.

I have the same duffle and I noticed that my leather was very soft/buttery right when I got it but it did not look as if it had a white film on it.

Thanks, its very strange Iv never seen this thin film on these bags before.

I wonder if someone used some type of conditioner on it, either at the store or maybe it was a return. I've had SAs offer to condition the bags I'm carrying so they might have tried to condition one in stock.

I wonder if someone used some type of conditioner on it, either at the store or maybe it was a return. I've had SAs offer to condition the bags I'm carrying so they might have tried to condition one in stock.

I don't know...there was a thread recently of a purple legacy bag that someone ordered. When it arrived the dye in one small area didn't look right. There was another mark on it too.

I purchased a wallet in the store once and the one they brought me from the back ad a dent in the leather. I had them send it right back and ended up buying the one on the shelf because it looked better and was the last in stock.

I don't know...there was a thread recently of a purple legacy bag that someone ordered. When it arrived the dye in one small area didn't look right. There was another mark on it too.

I purchased a wallet in the store once and the one they brought me from the back ad a dent in the leather. I had them send it right back and ended up buying the one on the shelf because it looked better and was the last in stock.

The really weird thing was this film was all over the bag, like there was not one spot except for the shoulder strap and tassel that didn’t look like this.

So ya I think someone must have gotten to it and tried to moisturize it with the incorrect product.

I've never seen this, just normal variations in the leather. I'd say definitely take it back and exchange it for a new one. The Cognac Duffle is so lovely, I've been wearing mine ever since I got it (right when they first came out) and I've conditioned it several times but it still looks great.

I've never seen this, just normal variations in the leather. I'd say definitely take it back and exchange it for a new one. The Cognac Duffle is so lovely, I've been wearing mine ever since I got it (right when they first came out) and I've conditioned it several times but it still looks great.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering if maybe this bag shouldn’t be moisturized at all after seeing this issue. Are you using Apple or Coach Moisturizer?

I just recently purchased a black Molly. It looked great at first but once I held it up in a different light at home I noticed the same thing - a very faint white film. I think it can be buffed off with a soft cloth. Definitely looked like some sort of leather treatment. I also got a cognac duffle for Christmas and I haven't noticed the white film on it at all. They were purchased at different stores. I conditioned the duffle with coach conditioner before I used it, but haven't used or conditioned the Molly yet.

If you aren't happy with it, take it back and I'm sure they will exchange it.

I just recently purchased a black Molly. It looked great at first but once I held it up in a different light at home I noticed the same thing - a very faint white film. I think it can be buffed off with a soft cloth. Definitely looked like some sort of leather treatment. I also got a cognac duffle for Christmas and I haven't noticed the white film on it at all. They were purchased at different stores. I conditioned the duffle with coach conditioner before I used it, but haven't used or conditioned the Molly yet.

If you aren't happy with it, take it back and I'm sure they will exchange it.

Thanks for replying, I thought I might have been seeing things. Yup, it’s going back next week for an exchange.