Has anyone permanently switched from big bags to small?

Frenchie D.

Dec 9, 2010
I've been wearing my smaller bags a bit more lately. My kids are a bit bigger now so I don't have to carry their stuff with me, except for a small package of wet wipes that always come in handy. A wallet, phone, a few makeup items and keys. That is all I actually need and I find a small bag a bit more ladylike.

My three small LV pieces are Mini Looping ( from ages ago if anyone remembers), Favorite MM and a pochette old model. I also have a Fendi bag that is small and perfect for everyday use.

But I used big bags for so long that I now feel a bit strange with just a small bag. Like something is missing. Like I should have more stuff with me, just in case. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing a real bag, if you know what I mean. Maybe this is just a question of getting used to it. I really want to (more or less) permanently switch to small bags for my everyday wear.

What has been your experience? Do you miss your bigger bags and what they can hold, or are you happy with your small arm candy?

I tried that a few years ago, but it didn't work for me. I felt like you said, like something was missing. My bag is like my safety net for the day and I usually always end up regretting leaving something at home. Also there's often additional stuff I need to carry like an umbrella, sunnies etc, or when I go into a store in the winter I need to put my gloves and hat somewhere, etc. So for me it didn't work out. But I carry smaller bags (Twice, Favourite MM) when I go out to do stuff with my kids or out in the evening.

I had to carry a bigger bag when I worked >30 minutes from home because I knew I would always need something during or after work (travel flat iron, socks, makeup bag, contact lens solution/case & glasses, etc). But hate to carry one daily because of the weight. Now that I work-from-home, a nice zipper tote is perfect for all those "extras" that might be needed if away from home for the day and a cross-body or small shoulder bag for essentials. Tote can stay in trunk until needed.

Right now I am torn between a size to fit a Surface tablet and the Favourite MM size. I need to take my own advice on bigger bags = heavy when filled with items not needed so the Speedy B 25 Empreinte has unfortunately been ruled out and leaning to Cluny BB (which I am still deciding if I "need" my tablet in my daily bag or keep it in tote because the MM size I think is getting too big again for "grab-n-go" which is what I really want).

To add: my Eva is for like a dress-up date night with hubby but just too small for a "daily" bag but I do like smaller bags. Btw, one kid is 12 and other is older than that and I am in my late 30s so no young kids at home.

Last edited:
I also am leaning towards smaller bags. My speedy 30 feels cavernous right now. I think my Alma pm is the perfect size. My kids are 12 and 9 and just don't need me to carry extra stuff for them anymore.
I am looking for another shoulder bag, and having a difficult time. I feel like most bags are big totes or small evening bags. Looking at the speedyb 25 or noe bb.

I have finally started buying smaller bags (Eva, Favorite MM) but cannot let go of the bigger bags. My kids are 3 and almost 6 so while I don't need 201 things for them, I still need to bring some extra clothes, snacks, etc when we go on outings. I also love having a bigger bag to take into work. I love my smaller bags for errands and solo day trips.

I have ... I was used to big bags carrying the kitchen sink with me ... I had back problems and had do downsize.... Now my biggest bag is my Montaigne MM (can't part with it) but it's empty.... All I carry is wallet, keys, phone, iPod and tissues ... I watch the weather channel and if they say it will rain, I take an umbrella ...

Bye make up I never used, umbrella when not needed, and everything else ...

I feel right now, the perfect size for me is the Pallas BB.

Last edited:
I also am leaning towards smaller bags. My speedy 30 feels cavernous right now. I think my Alma pm is the perfect size. My kids are 12 and 9 and just don't need me to carry extra stuff for them anymore.
I am looking for another shoulder bag, and having a difficult time. I feel like most bags are big totes or small evening bags. Looking at the speedyb 25 or noe bb.

I know what you mean, it is not easy to find an everyday bag that is not tiny, but not a tote either. I wonder if this gap will be filled soon. I also feel my Speedy 30 is huge. And ten years ago I used to fill it with stuff and wondered if I should go a size up.

Reactions: prepster
I know what you mean, it is not easy to find an everyday bag that is not tiny, but not a tote either. I wonder if this gap will be filled soon. I also feel my Speedy 30 is huge. And ten years ago I used to fill it with stuff and wondered if I should go a size up.
Not sure if you like the Delightful, but I recently got one in PM size and it's a great in-between size. Looks more like a purse than a tote, and still holds all of my essentials. My Speedy B25 is also a good small, but not too small, bag.

i've only ever used smaller bags and then figured i'd go down to minis, which would be even smaller. i now stick with small bags ; 4 items stuffed into a bag isn't practical for me (i need about 6-8), and carrying a tote or even MM size is way too much. i'm a BB sort of person, PM at most. i do like small bags now, and can have more bags since they take up less space!:P but not into minis at all, way too small.

I tried this a few times when my kids got older and it just did not work . I love having the extra room to throw in my gloves , sunnies , umbrella , etc . I felt a smaller bag gave me no extra room what so ever . I do carry my Alma bb and Pochette when I go out with my husband . Or even sometimes quick trips to the grocery store . But for every day use , I prefer my medium to large sized LV bags :smile:

I've been wearing my smaller bags a bit more lately. My kids are a bit bigger now so I don't have to carry their stuff with me, except for a small package of wet wipes that always come in handy. A wallet, phone, a few makeup items and keys. That is all I actually need and I find a small bag a bit more ladylike.

My three small LV pieces are Mini Looping ( from ages ago if anyone remembers), Favorite MM and a pochette old model. I also have a Fendi bag that is small and perfect for everyday use.

But I used big bags for so long that I now feel a bit strange with just a small bag. Like something is missing. Like I should have more stuff with me, just in case. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing a real bag, if you know what I mean. Maybe this is just a question of getting used to it. I really want to (more or less) permanently switch to small bags for my everyday wear.

What has been your experience? Do you miss your bigger bags and what they can hold, or are you happy with your small arm candy?

I do love the look of a large, structured bag and am always drawn to them. I also loved the bohemian vibe of my Montsouris backpack, and all of the stuff it could carry. I love feeling prepared for anything, but I don't love being weighed down, so lately I've been experimenting with alternatives. My current carry is a Zippy XL, (pics on another thread) and I'm finding that the freedom is nice. On the other hand...you never know when you're going to have to quickly build a satellite out of chewing gum and string, or rescue a team of trapped nuclear physicists, so I do have a tote in the car with a MacGyver-esque assortment of things "just in case." :lol: So maybe it's just that now my car has become my purse.