Has anyone had their Cartier pieces change colors?

Destiny757

Apr 17, 2020
Hi All!

So I have a few yellow gold pieces from Cartier but I just noticed my small juc ring is changing colors on the nail head part that is closest to my skin. Is that normal? If so, any way to fix it?

I no longer live close to a boutique otherwise I would just take it in.

So I called Customer Service and they said it is rare but can happen so I should be able to bring it to the boutique for them to evaluate. She said they should be able to fix it with just a deep clean so fingers crossed.

Weird because I wear 2 older Cartier rings on my other hand and they are fine.

Please provide an update later on! I have this problem but with VCA yellow gold... it seems that showering made the yellow gold more yellowy (my hypothesis), whereas my other VCA piece I don't shower with (because it's mother of pearl) stayed the same as day one - which is yellow gold but with a slight pink tone. Wonder if this is for all yellow gold or only certain brands or just defective pieces.

Please provide an update later on! I have this problem but with VCA yellow gold... it seems that showering made the yellow gold more yellowy (my hypothesis), whereas my other VCA piece I don't shower with (because it's mother of pearl) stayed the same as day one - which is yellow gold but with a slight pink tone. Wonder if this is for all yellow gold or only certain brands or just defective pieces.
Definitely! It will be another month or two before I can get to a boutique but I will keep you updated. I noticed the same thing happening on a small portion of my VCA bracelet clamp (also yellow gold). I take both pieces off to shower so no idea why it is happening and to only these 2 pieces.

I purchased the rose gold cross bracelet and wore it for about a year. I feel like the ph of my skin made the rose gold look somewhat tarnished really fast. Def a yellow gold girl instead.sucks bc it wasn’t cheap but I’ll have it polished and I’ll save it for my daughter. Maybe it will work better for her skin tone.

I purchased the rose gold cross bracelet and wore it for about a year. I feel like the ph of my skin made the rose gold look somewhat tarnished really fast. Def a yellow gold girl instead.sucks bc it wasn’t cheap but I’ll have it polished and I’ll save it for my daughter. Maybe it will work better for her skin tone.
Interesting because I did find out I was pregnant the same day I bought the ring and have been breastfeeding so I know my ph has been off. Wonder if that could be contributing to it??? I plan on taking it to Cartier in June to figure out what they say but I will keep that in mind.

Interesting because I did find out I was pregnant the same day I bought the ring and have been breastfeeding so I know my ph has been off. Wonder if that could be contributing to it??? I plan on taking it to Cartier in June to figure out what they say but I will keep that in mind.
I got mine when I was about to have my second baby and wore it the entire year after she was born so maybe that has something to do with my skin? I dunno.

Hi All!

So I have a few yellow gold pieces from Cartier but I just noticed my small juc ring is changing colors on the nail head part that is closest to my skin. Is that normal? If so, any way to fix it?

I no longer live close to a boutique otherwise I would just take it in.
What is it changing to? I posted here a photo of my 3 year old yg love and my brand new yg love. My older piece got more yellow over time which is normal.

So I called Customer Service and they said it is rare but can happen so I should be able to bring it to the boutique for them to evaluate. She said they should be able to fix it with just a deep clean so fingers crossed.

Weird because I wear 2 older Cartier rings on my other hand and they are fine.
Gold can oxidize, doesn't matter what brand it is. Most jewelry grade gold is 18Kt gold. 18Kt gold is 75% gold, and 25% alloy (other metals). Depending on the composition of the gold and it's alloys, plus other things the jewelry comes in contact with an cause the outer surface to discolor (oxidize). More commonly people complain that rose gold loses it's rose color and starts to look like yellow gold with exposure to showers and swimming pools (and the chemicals in water that comes into our homes). I've experienced color changes with yellow gold on jewelry (although not from Cartier) and on a yellow gold Rolex. Sometimes a good cleaning will work or a very light polishing with a cape cod cloth (applying no pressure, just light rubbing across the surface) can remove some oxidation and restore the color. It's really just the very top outer surface that has oxidized. Personally, I'd never recommend any heavy polishing for jewelry or watches.

Update: Finally made it to the boutique and while I was having my cord changed he also checked the ring and came back to say it was not changing colors but some type
of stain. He didn’t remove it all but most of it. He wasn’t the friendliest but I was in a rush and had my daughter with me so left it alone for now. I may try a light polishing cloth at home but happy to know it can be removed.

Reactions: fashionelite