Has anyone gotten into trouble for buying too many LVs but not for their other bags?

rugratsfc

Bag and shoe addict
Dec 1, 2016
I could really never understand people's obsession with LV before - I've had a couple of chances over the years to buy LV bags but always passed them up and bought leather bags from Burberry and the likes.

Until September 2016 when my partner bought me a Keepall B 45 in damier cobalt - and I was hooked! She only got me the bag because I travel for work from the West coast of Australia to the East coast every week - 3 plane rides weekly, and vice versa. So in her mind, cost per wear justifies the price.

This was followed by a Speedy 30 in DE in October and an Alma BB vernis over Christmas.

So, 3 bags in 4 months - not bad I think for an LV newbie! And I finally understand what everyone is raving about!

I would have bought more if my partner wouldn't throw a fit or do an intervention. LV has this "too expensive" stigma attached to it for non-bag lovers.

I bought a Chloe Drew bag in November (in between my LV purchases) - which cost me the same as an Alma BB in epi would (A$2000), but my partner didn't even bat an eyelid with that purchase because most people wouldn't know what a Chloe bag would cost. Neither does she know that my Burberry leather bags cost more than my LV bags (mostly because the keepall and speedy are in canvas). My sister even encouraged me to keep the two Chloe Drew bags (I was choosing between two different designs), thinking they were $400 each. Yes, she actually said they're probably $400 each, keep them both. In the meantime, she gasped when I told her I bought the Alma BB.

But buy LV, and people suddenly think you spend too much on bags.

Does anyone else have this happen to them?

PS: To give context for expenses: My partner and I have no kids - just one adorable dog. I earn twice what she earns, so I do have disposable income. My sister earns very close to what I do - and she has no kids as well, so her reaction is not because of a you-can-feed-a-third-world-country-with-the-cost-of-bags kind of thing.

Last edited:
Yes I got into big trouble, I was actually just released from Designer Prison due to my LV purchases this year. Designer prison actually isn't all that bad, nothing like the ghastly conditions you see on those MSNBC Real Life prison shows. In designer prison the sheets are all 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton and the cots are memory foam, there is a Starbucks on premise, everyone gets a fresh baked macaroon on their pillow at night and there's loads of activities and games such as Hermes Bingo and Vuitton/Chanel Scavenger Hunts, also all uniforms are designed by Vera Wang.

Last edited:
remember that all of us on here are super into handbags and most people aren't. most people who aren't into bags won't know that a Burberry, Bal, Chloe, or whatever can cost just as much, if not more than LV stuff. it really just shows that LV/Chanel/Hermes have a name or style recognition other brands don't and even people who don't care for bags know those brands are costly and that you likely spent a lot

Yes I got into big trouble, I was actually just released from Designer Prison due to my LV purchases this year. Designer prison actually isn't all that bad, nothing like the ghastly conditions you see on those MSNBC Real Life prison shows. In designer prison the sheets are all 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton and the cots are memory foam, there is a Starbucks on premise, everyone gets a fresh baked macaroon on their pillow at night and there's loads of activities and games such as Hermes Bingo and Vuitton/Chanel Scavenger Hunts, also all uniforms are designed by Vera Wang.

Do we get our own Hermes scarves? For every hour of the day?

Reactions: Sami Handbags

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yes, For a long time I wouldn't wear them around my inlaws, for fear of their opinions, although insanely wonderful they don't believe in materialism of any kind, even now I still wouldn't dream of pulling out a Chanel.
It's so sad right? People can enjoy their cars or other expensive hobbies like fishing, travelling (which is one of mine as well), without being jusged too much.

How do I sign up?

Reactions: mimspot
remember that all of us on here are super into handbags and most people aren't. most people who aren't into bags won't know that a Burberry, Bal, Chloe, or whatever can cost just as much, if not more than LV stuff. it really just shows that LV/Chanel/Hermes have a name or style recognition other brands don't and even people who don't care for bags know those brands are costly and that you likely spent a lot
Yup! And if i stuck to those brands, no one would be the wiser about how much I actually spend on bags

Not really into trouble, but when (yes WHEN, not IF :biggrin:) I get too carried away, I start feeling guilty about it myself. Usually I then sell something, and every time I am amazed at the amazing resale value of my LV items as well as the liquidation speed. And then I don't feel bad anymore, because I remember that most of the money invested in my items can very quickly be recouped.

Reactions: rugratsfc
Not really, because I only need to justify buying too many bags to my own conscience :P.
And I only own bags that are popular and in high demand, so I can sell them anytime without losing a lot of money.

Reactions: rugratsfc
Not really, because I only need to justify buying too many bags to my own conscience :P.
And I only own bags that are popular and in high demand, so I can sell them anytime without losing a lot of money.

I know, that's how I feel too. It just sucks that you get guilted into thinking you spend too much on your bags. Again - I've only gotten in trouble with LV bags, but not with my other designer and more expensive bags.

Not really into trouble, but when (yes WHEN, not IF :biggrin:) I get too carried away, I start feeling guilty about it myself. Usually I then sell something, and every time I am amazed at the amazing resale value of my LV items as well as the liquidation speed. And then I don't feel bad anymore, because I remember that most of the money invested in my items can very quickly be recouped.

I guess that's the advantage of buying LV - other bags in terms of resale value are not too great.

Reactions: LuxMommy