Has anyone gotten an ear infection from VCA earrings?

Hi guys, I'm very new to VCA and so far have only the Vintage Alhambra Earrings in PG and the Small Frivole Earrings in YG. I purchased the latter while we were on lockdown and had them delivered to me, so I couldn't get the setting adjusted at the store.

The strange thing is that I've been getting infections on my right ear while wearing my new yg frivole earrings. I would be fine the first day wearing them, but from the second day onwards, my earlobe swells and just feels downright uncomfortable. I wonder if the setting may be too snug, and hurting my ear? But that doesn't explain why my left ear feels totally fine.

Has anyone ever gotten an ear infection from wearing VCA earrings or have any advice on what I should do? Thanks so much!

P.S. I forgot to add that I have had no problems with my vintage Alhambra earrings and they are on the same setting as my yg frivoles.

Reactions: hhw
The composition of 18K gold can differ, and you might be having an allergic reaction to one of the metals. It happened to me (not with VCA). I would return them.

In addition to the possibility of allergy, also consider if it is the way it sits on your ear. I certainly find particular styles of studs tend to aggravate my right ear's hole during sleep, which may be due to the way I slept on right side. I do believe the right side piercing healed slower all those years I pierced it and needed longer with the saline solution.

Reactions: papertiger
Yes I have the same issue. I had the earrings adjusted to loose the back up, but still I can’t wearing them two days in a row, I only wear them for one day, then let the ear rest without any earrings for at least 2 days before wearing them again.

Reactions: chromemilou and hhw
Yes I have the same issue. I had the earrings adjusted to loose the back up, but still I can’t wearing them two days in a row, I only wear them for one day, then let the ear rest without any earrings for at least 2 days before wearing them again.

I finally had my right frivole earring loosened by 1mm; but now find it a little too loose. Didn't want to have to send it back again so soon for a readjustment, so I just inserted a little silicon pad behind the ear clip. It feels very comfortable and I haven't had any ear infections since!

While I find the omega ear clips very secure, they are really inconvenient when it comes to adjusting for the perfect fit. Also, I dropped one of my guilloche earrings once (it wasn't a bad drop) and the spring mechanism in the clasp snapped just like that! Had to get it repaired at VCA but my kind SA was able to waive the repair fee for me. These omega backings sure are fragile.

One of my pairs really hurts and so I never wear them more than a day. I think I need to have them adjusted. I’d let your ear heal, clean both with alcohol, and try one more time and if it happens again, return them.

Do you sleep in them?

One of my pairs really hurts and so I never wear them more than a day. I think I need to have them adjusted. I’d let your ear heal, clean both with alcohol, and try one more time and if it happens again, return them.

Do you sleep in them?

No I don't sleep in them. I think the tightness really causes the ear infections somehow. My right rg vintage alhambra earring sometimes looks a little droopy on my right earlobe, so I tried to use a silicon pad to prop it up a little. I ended up with an ear infection within two days!

No I don't sleep in them. I think the tightness really causes the ear infections somehow. My right rg vintage alhambra earring sometimes looks a little droopy on my right earlobe, so I tried to use a silicon pad to prop it up a little. I ended up with an ear infection within two days!

Ouch, that’s probably what it was. One of my pairs is too tight, and causes pain. I think @DS2006’s suggestion is great to switch it to the other ear, and see what happens. I’d alcohol in case something got on them, and then switch the side you wear them on. If it happens, return them. Good luck and sorry this is happening to your ear.

I finally had my right frivole earring loosened by 1mm; but now find it a little too loose. Didn't want to have to send it back again so soon for a readjustment, so I just inserted a little silicon pad behind the ear clip. It feels very comfortable and I haven't had any ear infections since!

While I find the omega ear clips very secure, they are really inconvenient when it comes to adjusting for the perfect fit. Also, I dropped one of my guilloche earrings once (it wasn't a bad drop) and the spring mechanism in the clasp snapped just like that! Had to get it repaired at VCA but my kind SA was able to waive the repair fee for me. These omega backings sure are fragile.

Oh that’s good, I think I will need have mine loosen further, coz they still feel tight. what silicon pad do you use? Are you able to show me a photo? I know vca can provide some silicon pad but not sure if it’s same and if it works the same, as I’m keep forgetting to ask my SA for some.

Oh that’s good, I think I will need have mine loosen further, coz they still feel tight. what silicon pad do you use? Are you able to show me a photo? I know vca can provide some silicon pad but not sure if it’s same and if it works the same, as I’m keep forgetting to ask my SA for some.
Yeah I think you do! We shouldn't be living in pain while wearing these expensive earrings. The silicon pads I am using are indeed from the boutique. Here's what it looks like when inserted on the back of my small frivole earring.

PXL_20201015_152759178.jpg

A friend of mine has the Onyx vintage alhambra earrings and she said they made her ears bleed the first few weeks of wearing them. Kinda turned me off from buying the earrings after hearing that. I'm considering the Sweet Alhambra ones in the future instead.

• Sad
Reactions: fdc and hhw
A friend of mine has the Onyx vintage alhambra earrings and she said they made her ears bleed the first few weeks of wearing them. Kinda turned me off from buying the earrings after hearing that. I'm considering the Sweet Alhambra ones in the future instead.
Yikes that sounds awful. She should definitely get them adjusted. Earrings that cost this much should not be such a pain to wear.