Has anyone ever put a Bal in the washing machine?

bellenuit

O.G.
Feb 11, 2007
Hi! I'm waiting on a very used bag to reach me that looks totally filthy in the pics but has some amazing looking wrinkly chèvre leather. I'm tempted to throw it in the washer on hand wash with some woolite. I'd handwash it myself but it looks THAT dirty that I'd probably just have to do it twice. I've searched but can't find any reference to anyone having done it? Thnx!

Hi! I'm waiting on a very used bag to reach me that looks totally filthy in the pics but has some amazing looking wrinkly chèvre leather. I'm tempted to throw it in the washer on hand wash with some woolite. I'd handwash it myself but it looks THAT dirty that I'd probably just have to do it twice. I've searched but can't find any reference to anyone having done it? Thnx!

While I don't know if I'd have the nerve to do this, here's an old thread from someone who's been there...

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...-beloved-bbag-in-woolite-advice.240166/page-3

Thank you, muchstuff! This is one of my favorite threads on cleaning a Bal -- I washed a Bordeaux work in the sink with woolite after reading this! It turned out great. But it wasn't quite as dirty as this bag. It arrived today and I'm assessing it, and I think I will be able to get away with doing a handwash myself.....would have been interesting, though, if it had been worse I'd have thrown it in there![emoji38]

Reactions: muchstuff
Did your Bordeaux bag also lose some color?
That would be my biggest fear with hand washing, losing some color like betnyp did in that thread.
I wouldn't use a washer as I'd be afraid the whipstitching on the handles would fray.

Did your Bordeaux bag also lose some color?
That would be my biggest fear with hand washing, losing some color like betnyp did in that thread.
I wouldn't use a washer as I'd be afraid the whipstitching on the handles would fray.

Put in old pillow case or lingerie bag.
Best of luck.

Not a Bal, but I have washing a lambs leather jacket in the wash... similar store, purchased used, amazing prize €5! I washed it in the washing machine (twice) smothered in oil and hung in the sun to dry... looks fabulous!!!!!

So if the hand wash wasn't sufficient, definitely throw it in the wash!!!