Has anyone ever had an eyelash transplant?

I have worked in hair restoration surgery for 20 years, and although we don't do eyelash transplants, I have seen some on a few people. Don't do this! Think about it this way: eyelashes are 'terminal hairs', meaning they grow to a certain length and stop. Also they have lovely tapered points on the tips of the hairs and the hairs generally curve upward. With hair transplants, the #1 place to harvest donor hair is from the scalp. The scalp hairs grow and grow and have to be cut to keep them short. The act of cutting them makes the tips blunt and squared off, never tapered and pointed. Just because you are moving the hairs from one area (the scalp) to an area where there are terminal hairs (eyelashes or eyebrows) dosent mean these new hairs will take on the characteristics of the eyelash hairs. The transplanted hairs will need to be trimmed and maintenance is a nightmare. They never 'act' like natural eyelashes. *See attached pic. The hairs do not look like naturally growing eyebrows and once you have this done it is a lifetime of trimming and maintenance. Your best bet is to use a growth stimulator, like Latisse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-25-21-31-12-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-25-21-31-12-1.png
    717.8 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Addicted to bags
I have worked in hair restoration surgery for 20 years, and although we don't do eyelash transplants, I have seen some on a few people. Don't do this! Think about it this way: eyelashes are 'terminal hairs', meaning they grow to a certain length and stop. Also they have lovely tapered points on the tips of the hairs and the hairs generally curve upward. With hair transplants, the #1 place to harvest donor hair is from the scalp. The scalp hairs grow and grow and have to be cut to keep them short. The act of cutting them makes the tips blunt and squared off, never tapered and pointed. Just because you are moving the hairs from one area (the scalp) to an area where there are terminal hairs (eyelashes or eyebrows) dosent mean these new hairs will take on the characteristics of the eyelash hairs. The transplanted hairs will need to be trimmed and maintenance is a nightmare. They never 'act' like natural eyelashes. *See attached pic. The hairs do not look like naturally growing eyebrows and once you have this done it is a lifetime of trimming and maintenance. Your best bet is to use a growth stimulator, like Latisse.

Thank you for your response. I found one Dr Jeffrey Epstein though that looks like he performs amazing eyelash transplant, eyebrow transplants too. What are your thoughts? I do agree with what you're saying but also couldn't the end result depend on the surgeon?

Regardless of the surgeon, it's lifetime maintenance (trimming, etc) and in my opinion, the hairs never look like eyelash hairs, but you are the only one who can say if it's worth it to you. As long as you are educated about the risks and maintenence, side effects, then only you can choose what's best for you.
I wish you the best of luck!
:smile:

Reactions: veronicalawrence2