Has anyone ever bought a Birkin and realized you really didn't like it? (w/ pics)

Lawmomof5

May 14, 2016
So, I waited three years for a Birkin and this weekend I finally got one in an AMAZING color at the NYC Madison store. I didn't have a prior relationship with the SA (or really Hermes at all) and I wasn't expecting her to give it to me so I was shocked! I then drove a 10 hour round trip to pick it up.

I adore the color and craftsmanship, but I tried using it for one day and HATED it! I am going to cry just admitting that because I want to love it so badly. I have 4 kids and 1 on the way and I just felt like it was totally impractical. I have always used bags with straps that can be carried on my shoulder or cross body, so I wasn't used to carrying it on my forearm or in my hand. I have a 4 year old and 2 year old that kept trying to hold my hands, but the dang bag was always taking up one of my hands! I actually even accidentally smacked my two year old in the face with it at one point because she was trying to hold my hand and the birkin was in it! Then by the end of the day my shoulders and forearms were killing me and I had to keep switching it from arm to arm.

With 4 kids and 1 on the way this was definitely a splurge for us, and I don't even want to admit to my husband that I don't love it, but I really can't justify keeping a bag that I can't carry. I can't bring it back to the store because they will only give me store credit, so where do I go from here? Resale? Are there threads on the best sites to resell on? Should I try and stick it out and love it? Display it prominently in my house (kidding)?

And last but not least pictures (Birkin 35 Feu Orange in Epsom leather)

IMG_6538_zpsgwl2wi44.jpg

IMG_6536_zpskpg64jwo.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsnexigz6h.jpg

I am very sorry to hear it didn't work out for you... Sometimes reality just doesn't match up to our fantasies... I am sure you will be able to resell it quickly and without much loss as it is practically brand new. There are many reputable reselling sites that do take a commission, but it's the easiest hassle free way to do it. I particularly like AFF (Ann's Fabulous Finds). Best of luck to you!!

You could also return to store and consider an exchange for a Kelly? Sounds more practical for you with the young children, the shoulder strap gives you the hands free option. I am sure if you explain to your SA s/he would understand!

It's a beautiful bag, I would keep it. I know now it seems like you will never leave the house without a child, but it will happen. It goes quickly too. I would consider it a "me" bag, and carry it as a reward or a treat when you do get some time to yourself. The best thing about Hermes is that it will never go out of style, so it will be fresh and new down the road. Who knows maybe you won't find it in the budget in a few years when you are free to carry it. Consider it a great mommy gift, for what sounds like a very deserving mom! :hugs:

So sorry to hear this!! But I totally can sympathasize! I bought my first birkin..a size 40 when my youngest was 6 months old and I felt crazy trying to juggle the ginormous bag with a stroller and baby stuff. So I stopped using it for a loooong time and then ended up selling it. I did add back in many birkins later in 35s and 30s which I found much much more to my liking but I still dont find it the easiest with my youngest in tow. I usually reach for my lindy or garden party when im with my kids.
Having said that your bag is stunning and in epsom probably so light!! You mau find use for it when you are not with your kids?? Out with friends or DH?? If not, you will have no problems reselling it. It is gorgeous!!!

I'm sorry to hear you aren't happy with your bag but sometimes we love a design that isn't compatible with our lifestyle. Your children will grow up quickly, and this bag could be for times when you go out without them, and once they have grown a bit, you can wear it more frequently. H is forever, but childhood isn't.

If you love the bag, keep it and wear it when you can, if you don't love it, sell it online, and then contemplate which bag would work for your lifestyle. GL!

i too have a 2 & 4 yr old so i feel for you. the first day (all day) i used my B35 my arms hurt too and i too doubted..then i realized that i wasn't used to carrying bags on the forearm and a B 35 isn't really for an all-day toting ( all day shopping or school activities esp with kids).. so I started over, baby steps :giggles: used it on shorter trips, practiced carrying my other bags on my forearm...i know it's hard esp the bag is brand new and we are protective also adds to the awkwardness of carrying it i think..if after a wee bit more tries you still think No, then maybe a 30 would be better? i have a kelly and while there is a strap, the closure is something to get used to..kids grow up, B stays beautiful :biggrin:

My dear, I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment but I completely understand and this is not the end of the world, or the end of your Hermes love. NOW is simply not the time for a Birkin. In my mind, you have a few options. I too think Ann's is a great resale option. You can financially recover. Or, if you really LOVE Ms. Orange, keep her until the babies are a little older. If you can take her back for a credit and you know you will one day use it, that is a good option of course.

I think the most important thing is to let the mental anguish go--set it free. Your children and family are the only things that matter. You lost a day--okay---no biggie. Right now, this feels HUGE, but it is not. I am in no way trying to diminish the reality of your dismay, rather, trying to help you with perspective.

Like many of us on this forum, I have lived several Hermes Traumas--but at the end of the day, or week, or month, once I recover, I shake my head with a chuckle and incredulity at the steps I continue to take that will make me a better decision maker the next time around.

Be kind to yourself my dear.

Many really good points already brought up for your consideration. I need to add that when I got my first Birkin, it sat in its box for over a year because DS was then just 1, but I knew there would come a day when I would be able to carry it without any hassle. It is a heroic task managing 5 kids and you have my outmost respect and understanding. Take your time to decide whether to keep and use this bag occasionally for now or swap it for a Kelly / Lindy etc and use that first. In the end only you can tell if the Birkin is the right style for you in the long run. Hugs!

Sorry you don't like it, though in your posts last night you still seemed very keen on it. As others have said there are resellers who will take it (you will probably have to consider a commission of 30-40%, so you might want to factor that in). As you noted, a Birkin isn't the greatest bag when you have young kids but you might come to love it as your kids get older (it isn't like the bag will go out of style) and keeping it could be a better option than selling at a loss a few days after buying it. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Orangefanatic
I have two boys so I can relate. If you can, keep the Birkin. You can always use it if you are ever able to go out without the kids. For example, lunch date with friends or dinner with husband, or shopping in your own. The kids will eventually get older and you will get more chances to use and appreciate the bag. If you see yourself in the future with a Birkin on your hand, then keep it!

Do you like the Kelly? if you like the Kelly design too, you can try exchange it for a Kelly. The Kelly is a shoulder bag and that seems like it fits your lifestyle more now.

Another thing to consider is if you sell it, would you regret it? perhaps if you are not in a rush, why not just think about it for a few days. Try carrying it for half day trips or something. when carrying on half day trip, how does it make you feel? Do you like the look on you? if you don't like the birkin on you, then do sell it. There are some items that I loved online (in magazines or on other people) but when I try on myself, I don't love. So I don't buy it...even though I still love the design of the item.

Good luck dear! 😊

When I got my first B back in 2007, my boys were 3 years old. Not practical at all. So, I would only use it if I was going somewhere without them. It was my "special event" bag. As they got older and more independent, I was able to use the bag more often. Now, my Gold B is my workhorse and I adore it. So, maybe you can still use the bag here and there until kids are bigger and then you can use it more regularly. Good luck!