Has Anyone Else Noticed the High Prices Coach Fobs are fetching on Ebay?

melissatrv

O.G.
Feb 8, 2009
I know when cleaning out our closets to sell many of us have had to sell for much less than the bag is worth. Yet some fobs are selling for more than the bags. Ones that are not even all that rare. The most expensive one up for sale now is the Year of the Dragon (which was super rare) is listed for $278!!! To put into perspective a new relatively rare, Aubergine Gathered Sophia sold for $219 (which is an amazing deal).

Do you think the fobs are selling for higher prices now since Coach essentially all but stopped making Leather fobs? And the metal ones they have had lately have been eh. I remember we not only got excited about the upcoming bags for the season but there would be a thread on upcoming fobs. I kinda miss that.

This is making me re-think which fobs I have that I could part with. Or maybe I shouldn't because they will end up being so rare I could sell for $500 one day, LOL.

A calla lily fob from the Penelope collection sold for about $328 a few weeks ago. I was watching it to add to my collection.
wow! A used Pegasus went for over $150. There are some older fobs I'd love to have but I can't bring myself to spend more than $50. When I think of how much money I have tied up in fobs, it makes me queasy.

wow! A used Pegasus went for over $150. There are some older fobs I'd love to have but I can't bring myself to spend more than $50. When I think of how much money I have tied up in fobs, it makes me queasy.

I hear ya, I think the most I paid for a FOB was on ebay for $80. Think it is called the Poppy loop pave fob and it sold for a higher price when it was in stores. I have both the Year and of Dragon and the Pegasus. Can't bring myself to sell them though. Wish I bought the Poppy Rainbow one which was released with the Pegasus when the line launched.

I know when cleaning out our closets to sell many of us have had to sell for much less than the bag is worth. Yet some fobs are selling for more than the bags. Ones that are not even all that rare. The most expensive one up for sale now is the Year of the Dragon (which was super rare) is listed for $278!!! To put into perspective a new relatively rare, Aubergine Gathered Sophia sold for $219 (which is an amazing deal).

Do you think the fobs are selling for higher prices now since Coach essentially all but stopped making Leather fobs? And the metal ones they have had lately have been eh. I remember we not only got excited about the upcoming bags for the season but there would be a thread on upcoming fobs. I kinda miss that.

This is making me re-think which fobs I have that I could part with. Or maybe I shouldn't because they will end up being so rare I could sell for $500 one day, LOL.

I agree completely, with very few exceptions the new fobs are boring. I only bought 1 or 2 in the last 2 years and I used to buy half a dozen every time I went to the outlet or had a PCE invitation, including a lot of the rare ones like the Dragon and the set of four that included the Calla Lily, I probably have at least 120. Wish I knew of an easier way to sell them than selling my soul to Ebay! :biggrin:

Last edited:
I agree completely, with very few exceptions the new fobs are boring. I only bought 1 or 2 in the last 2 years and I used to buy half a dozen every time I went to the outlet or had a PCE invitation, including a lot of the rare ones like the Dragon and the set of four that included the Calla Lily, I probably have at least 120. Wish I knew of an easier way to sell them than selling my soul to Ebay! :biggrin:

Super jealous of your Penelope collection of fobs. I have two of them and have been trying to complete my set for a while.

ITA that the fobs lately have been quite a yawn fest. I haven't bought nearly as many as I have in the past

Agreed I have a full collection too.

I surely noticed this w fobs, too. I don't care at all for the newly released fobs. Nothing that is "adorning looking" to me, to enhance a handbag's appearance.

But I've been a tad bummed out with most of the new releases, in general. Feeling like I've lost an old, dear friend, not so much in the way of "forever gone" but more like "moved far away"---feeling like keeping up the relationship is gonna take a lot of work and change on my part, to make it work....If that makes any sense....

You could always give them to a friend! :graucho:
I surely noticed this w fobs, too. I don't care at all for the newly released fobs. Nothing that is "adorning looking" to me, to enhance a handbag's appearance.

But I've been a tad bummed out with most of the new releases, in general. Feeling like I've lost an old, dear friend, not so much in the way of "forever gone" but more like "moved far away"---feeling like keeping up the relationship is gonna take a lot of work and change, on my part. If that makes any sense....
I know exactly what you mean. I feel like they aren't put as much effort into them. Most everything lately is very simplistic. In the past when they did a leather animal, there were tons of details and lots of parts, like a tail on the back and 3-D ears in a different color. The current animals are just oval blobs with eyes.

On the other hand, I'm a little relieved that I'm not excited about the current bags. I don't want to be tempted.

if you think fobs are going for big bucks ( and they are), look at hang tags......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COACH-POPPY...pt=US_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item43cd7c8a0a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-R...pt=US_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item3ce3c67cb9

And this is just a couple of examples...... :amazed: They were not my auctions, but at those prices, I wish they hadda been. :graucho:

if you think fobs are going for big bucks ( and they are), look at hang tags......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COACH-POPPY...pt=US_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item43cd7c8a0a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-R...pt=US_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item3ce3c67cb9

And this is just a couple of examples...... :amazed: They were not my auctions, but at those prices, I wish they hadda been. :graucho:

Those Poppy tags all had sequins that dissolved into big blobs inside the plastic. I guess that one isn't so bad, I've seen much worse where the blobs are blobbier. :biggrin:

The prices are all supply and demand, and there's just not much supply. The rarer fobs are listed so infrequently that there are usually several potential buyers to either drive the price up, or at least one buyer is ready to grab it even at a sky high cost. Another reason is that some higher end designers have been selling fobs and bag charms for way way more money than Coach, so the Coach ones seem like a relative bargain. I think most of Coach's are a lot cuter, too.

I don't buy on eBay anymore because the few I'm looking for always sell for a lot more than I'm willing to pay. Maybe I should organize my collection, I keep terrible track and I know I've bought a few duplicates of less popular fobs when at the outlet because I didn't remember if I already had them or not, lol!

Yea, the supply and demand for fobs I get.....but the hang tags? They show up a lot, usually around or under $25 for the poppy ones. I got a ton of the glitter, sequin, snow, etc ones for a few bucks each. Sometimes they even had the acrylic daisy and / or the Coach script with it too.

Yea, the supply and demand for fobs I get.....but the hang tags? They show up a lot, usually around or under $25 for the poppy ones. I got a ton of the glitter, sequin, snow, etc ones for a few bucks each. Sometimes they even had the acrylic daisy and / or the Coach script with it too.
You can get more for the fobs if you sell them separately from the bags, even though it is against ebay rules.

You can get more for the fobs if you sell them separately from the bags, even though it is against ebay rules.

Yea, I've noticed that they can go for a good price, but I'm just amazed at the prices they are recently commanding. Like key fobs, they seem to be selling for way beyond the high prices they were selling for just a few weeks ago. They've gone beyond high right into astronomical.

I wonder if that many people have recently started collecting fobs? Or maybe it's folks with vacation time and money on their hands doing the bidding? All I know is that I'm glad I only have a few left on my wishlist because I couldn't or wouldn't pay the astronomical prices for them.

I'm thinking that the fobs cost alot to produce that's why they aren't making as many as before. Or maybe that they are making more simple ones because it's more cost effective as there's not as many moving parts, so to speak.??

I wish I would have been into Coach back then as I am now, the fobs are just downright beautiful!