Has anyone done an undereye concealer experiment?

e_nmn_m

O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
So, as we know, Lisa Eldridge concealers her undereye circles with a sweep of Clinique's (relatively sheer) airbrush concealer. Bobbi Brown, however, insists that you need corrector and concealer, and applied all the way up to the lash line.

Has anyone done an experiment with one of these methods on each eye? Does anyone have a preference? I can't determine what kind of concealer I need...or rather, how little I can get away with to look my definition-of-nice best.

I think it really depends on the extent of your dark circles. I have pale Irish skin with the typical DARK circles & I wear Bobbi brown corrector & concealer. I've gone to other brand make up artists (I.e., Chanel) and they always steer me back to Bobbi Brown as it is considered professional coverage. I usually go shopping with my SIL and she only needs concealer, not corrector.

It's different for everyone depending on the under eye area. I only need a very light concealer and can get away w/ just foundation.
Corrector cancels out certain shades of your dark circles.

I think it really depends on the extent of your dark circles. I have pale Irish skin with the typical DARK circles & I wear Bobbi brown corrector & concealer. I've gone to other brand make up artists (I.e., Chanel) and they always steer me back to Bobbi Brown as it is considered professional coverage. I usually go shopping with my SIL and she only needs concealer, not corrector.

Completely agree, I am quite fair skinned with thin skin so I have a lot of darkness under my eyes. I definitely need a good coverage concealer. My personal fav is Lancome's it has excellent coverage and brightens as well. On days when I use a concealer with less coverage I always use something like benefit eye bright or YSL touche eclat to brighten the area up.

I have a kit called 'Wake Up Makeup', which comes with useful instructions, but basically just going round the dark circle with an eye brightening concealer in an upside down semi circle or U shape is the best way to minimise the dark circles, going up to the lash line doesn't work as there are different shades of darkness and your eyes lose depth. The kit has a lighter cream which you use on your brow bone which puts the dark circles into perspective, then there is an eyebrow kit which is just essential to maintain good depth of eyes.

I also swear by The Body Shop's camomile eye serum, every morning and night to alleviate puffiness, it's much better than the £30 serums I've tried.

I don't use undereye concealer anymore :wtf: Whenever I tried a concealer under the eyes it would look like I had wrinkles under the eyes and there are actually no circles under my eyes which is kind of weird. The skin is much whiter under my eyes than on the rest of my face and since concealer added wrinkles that are otherwise not visable then I stopped using it.

I have pretty dark circles under my eyes, BUT I wear glasses. Too heavy use of concealer shows badly! I use a tinted moisturizer on my face and then lightly cover undereye circles and any blemishes, dark or red spots with a cream foundation and a damp sponge. Then powder lightly and set with MAC Fix+ or MUFE Setting Spray.
Only thing I have found that works for me.

I'm really pale also, and I recently started using MUFE Full Cover Concealer for my dark circles and for concealing blemishes. Shockingly, the sephora girl matched me to shade 3 rather than shade 1 (literally never happened to me in my life!!) and to my pleasant surprise I think she was right--she said that they were pretty similar in color (but different in undertone, if I phrased that correctly) but shade no. 1 would probably be ashy-er on my skin, whereas no. 3 subtly gave me some color and definitely brightened up my dark circles.

After she applied it, I looked in the mirror and we both literally laughed out loud (I guess out of pleasant surprise?) because it did such a fantastic job of concealing my undereye circles! she used the sephora pro airbrush concealer brush (which I also bought... I don't have many brushes and I haven't invested in nice ones yet, but I have not regretted getting this one for a second). I seriously considered the bobbi brown corrector/concealer combo for quite a while before getting the MUFE stuff because my dark circles are really bad--I basically look like I'm getting over 2 black eyes even when I've had plenty of sleep--but I went with the MUFE stuff because I definitely thought it did a great job and because it was only one step vs. 2 (and also MUFE is more accessibly than bobbi brown for me, so I don't have to worry as much about running out)

Also, notably, this stuff has not broken my skin out at all, even though I have super sensitive skin--even the bare minerals stuff has worsened my skin (though not as badly as other brands)

I don't use undereye concealer anymore :wtf: Whenever I tried a concealer under the eyes it would look like I had wrinkles under the eyes and there are actually no circles under my eyes which is kind of weird. The skin is much whiter under my eyes than on the rest of my face and since concealer added wrinkles that are otherwise not visable then I stopped using it.

Me too! same exact case! :smile:

gossmakeupartist on youtube has afew really good videos on applying concealer, particularly on more mature skin and also asian eyes. His videos are really great.

I find corrector (Smashbox, GA) with the YSL Touche Eclat is enough for me. I like the texture of the BB concealers & correctors, but they were way too creamy to layer over - at least, on me.

Bobbi Brown concealer and corrector is pretty intense, but it really does work. I used to represent Bobbi as a SA at work and I've used that duo on tons of people. I once had a woman that had a big black eye from a car accident (other than that she was fine) amount other things, and I was able to completely cover it without it looking cakey. But like I said, pretty intense and it is not for everyone.

I find most people think they are worse off than they actually are though to be honest. I always like to do foundation first and cover up just a bit into my under eye area, and apply concealer after. I let it sit while I finish the rest of my face makeup and then go back over my concealer with a beauty blender. Doing it that way gives my concealer time to "crease-out", I clean up the extra product with the blender and maybe a dash of powder and I'm good to go, no creasing at all.