Has anyone distressed their own jeans?

shoeangel

Aug 12, 2006
I'm thinking of taking an old pair of bootleg 7FAM jeans that are at least one size too big on me and making them into boyfriend jeans. I want my boyfriend jeans to fit a bit snugger than what I see offered this season.

I'm going to crop them to the ankle and have them hemmed. I will wear the cuffs rolled up, but I like them cropped length. Then I want to distress the heck out of them.

Has anyone been successful with distressing their jeans? What's the trick?

I use one of those microplane citrus zester things. It's super sharp and does the job fast (although it's easy to get a little zest happy on the jeans to the point you get a full on hole.... oopsie). I also like to use sandpaper for more subtle effects.

There is loads of information and stories about this. If you google search for raw denim or dry denim, you'll see what I'm talking about! There are forums dedicated to the art of dry denim.

A few things I recommend:
- Start with a pair of dry denim with absolute no distressing/washing
- Do NOT wash your jeans for at least 6 months
- Wear them everyday if you can, as long as you won't get sweaty in them

It's a long process, and it makes it a lot better if you are able to wear denim everyday (like to work). All I did was wear mine day in and day out, no fancy methods, but I love mine now. Unfortunately I have to wear business formal attire to work now so I don't think I'll be able to do it again any time soon.

Last edited:
CHEESE GRATERS! SAND PAPER! RAZOR BLADES! The ideas are endless. Paint! Extra thread! :smile: I've been meaning to distress my own jeans too, but just haven't gotten around to it. Here are some tips I found:

One
Two