Has anyone been to the GAP lately?

spLVurge

Oct 3, 2008
My friend texted me the other day with this:
"GAP is selling a version of your G-Bag for $59.95!"

So of course I had to go to gap.com to check it out and lo behold - guess what I saw http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=34747&vid=1&pid=776512

So what do you guys think :confused1:?

On the one hand - I like the fact that it kindof means that I own something that is trendy and current (I don't generall do trendy). On the other hand - I'm a little disappointed that this means that maybe my G-bag isn't so 'special' and 'rare' anymore :shucks:.

No offense to anyone who likes this GAP bag, but it's a sad little knock-off.

It'd be one thing if it was an original design, but it's clearly a g-bag rip-off...

As far as the g-bag not being special because it's been knocked-off, I disagree. Tod's bags are quality and it shows! And, these are knock-offs...and it SHOWS! ;)

Last edited:
I just saw it at the mall and thought the same thing. I think it's just the latest trend. I don't consider them knock-offs. It's the highest form of flattery. IMO

I havent seen it, but it certainly doesnt look as good as my G!
And I KNOW mine is real!
I have noticed lately looking 24/7 at bags, that almost ALL designers at some point copy each other..I mean lool at all the zipper bags - Botkier, RM, MJ......so many bags look alike.......
But I dont buy to impress others, I buy for ME!

The #1 reason I have been buying TODS since 1991 is because they are handmade in Italy.

That sad little knock off (thanks Luvs2shop1 ;)) is Made in China and it shows.
Color me Bag Snob! :broom:

You know who is the rip off champion? Its Dooney and Burke. I swear, I could go in a store and find a "Hermes look-alike", a "Chanel look-alike", a Tod's Look-alike",etc.etc etc. I don't think they have had an original idea in many years!!

Yep, there's nothing quite like the original of anything. I have tried buying an almost as good to save money and I end up wasting money because I am not satisfied until I get what I really want. Go figure! Hooked on quality, I reckon.:woohoo::tup:

Things like this used to get me riled up. But now? Meh. There will always be copies and inspired bys. I know what is authentic and well made in a country that pays its artisans a living wage. That is what matters to me.

I actually stopped by the Gap today and saw these bags. There is NO way anyone would mistake the Gap bag for TOD's.

The bags are made of a really thin coated cotton material...and the longer strap is not very long at all.

I was in Gap today and I made a point to go and look at them...with the REAL thing on my shoulder!! I also made a point to set my on the counter as I was paying for my purchase...It was one of those red breasted robin chest beating moments! I loved it!