Travel Has anyone been to Croatia?

lawchick

O.G.
Aug 3, 2006
My parents are planning a trip to Italy in July. They will be there a month. I want to join them there and take a litte trip. I have heard wonderful things about Croatia and I want to go. Has anyone been that can give me some advice? I see Dubrovnik is popular. It looks gorgeous. How are prices? Which islands should we see? Where should we stay (we were looking at apartments)? How are prices and what is the attitude toward tourists?
If you have any other advice or input I would love to hear it. Thanks!

My husband is from croatia and we go fairly frequently (Every few years). Nothing is cheap, it's comparable to Italy, but it's all beautiful. See Dubrovnik and Hvar for sure. If you are going for a short trip, stay in a hotel. They give you breakfast and dinner and the food is good and fresh. Swimming is divine and he sea is gorgeous!

I've been there and loved it! Dubrovnik is very small and no cars are allowed in the old city -- we drove there from Sarajevo but just left the car parked the whole time. I would say two days is plenty. You will need a car if you plan to travel along the coast. I also went to Split and the island of Kos. The seafood is great -- enjoy!

I've been to Dubrovnik as well - it is gorgeous. The red roofs and the old buildings are a sight to behold. Be sure to try the black risotto!

I've also been to Majugorje (sp?). It's a lovely village, with great treks in the surrounds. If you go there, I suggest staying at a pension - so cheap and clean - and take your walking shoes for some lovely long walks and beautiful scenery. It's a pilgramage point (I think the Virgin Mary appeared there) so there are a lot of religious relics... and pilgrims, of course. It's just a lovely place to take 5 and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Wow, thank you for all of your input and suggestions. Black risotto? I have to try it. My friends and I love food! We just started a food blog. I'll have to remember to write about that.
I am interested to see everyone's input on Croatia and Dubrovnik in particular. I didn't realize so many of you had been. I did a search and found only a few posts about it. Great to know!

My parents are from Matulji and Opatija. Opatija is a beautiful city right on the water and there are beautiful gardens and churches to see right along the water.. I would definitely recommend visiting there. A few hours would probably be enough to see most of what there is there as they are both small towns. Opatija is the more resorty option though as it is on the water... Enjoy Croatia :smile:

My favourite place in Crotia is the little city of "Rovinji"..a really jem.
Croatia is a little bit economic than Italy..they have not Euro.

Rovinj is a great place and on the sea. Actually all of Istria (that region) is just wonderful for inland trips and it's easy and a good place to go if driving from italy.

I go to Croatia every year bcs I have relatives there (seaside). Coast is stunning, north part is called Istria, mid part is Kvarner, and south part of coast is called Dalmatia. In Dalmatia a-must-see is Dubrovnik, Split, Sibenik, Zadar, and you should see at least 1 island there. Island of Hvar is beautiful, it is a sort of creme de la creme of all islands, all world's jet set is visiting Hvar with their yachts in summertime. Hotel Riva is great place to stay, quite expensive though. Island Korcula is sooooo beautiful. You shouldn't miss islands Kornati. I've been there on a cruise & had great time there. As jajjay77 wrote the sea food is delicious. Also visit Plitvice Lakes National Park, nature there is amazing, so special!

Beautiful places in mid part of Croatian seaside are Rijeka (the old part of town), Opatija, island Krk which is connected to the mainland by a bridge. There are few interesting places like as Baska (my fav), Vrbnik (very old part of island Krk), Klimno (healing mud beach) ....

In Istria which is the northest part of Croatia and worth to visit are Rovinj, Umag, Pula with it's own Roman theatre and that's about it.

About the attitude toward foreign tourists don't worry, hospitality is on decent level. They don't have EURO, so it is a little bit cheaper than Italy, not much though. Especially in summer season! The best way to travel around / along the coast is by car. Old city centres are pedestrian zones. Buy homemade olive oil, it's the best in the world. Expensive, but quality & yummy.

Ofc visit also Zagreb, the capital of Croatia. I hope these infos helped & don't forget to have a great time! ;)

That was great info Chiarissima! Thank you. We are only going to be there for a few days so I think Dubrovnik and one of the islands will be about all we can see. I will definitely buy some homemade olive oil.