Has a TPFer died while being a member? How would we know?

It does happen. I use to belong to a military wives community. There was this really sweet older lady who was a daily contributer. She was a wonderful person, she was like a 2nd a mom to a lot of the people there. Then one day she passed away of a heart attack. A lot of us were totally devastated. A few of the members even went to her funeral. The rest of the chipped in and sent some flowers.

I used to be a member of a gardening forum and one of the most active members died suddenly at her keyboard while posting on the site. Her son logged on a few days later and posted about the occurence and how much she had valued being a member and the friendships she had made. We were given details of the funeral and invited, I don't remember now if anyone went but it sure was sad.

OMG, that's beyond tragic. :cry: why did she die?

Obviously not this forum but a few months back 5 kids died when they drove a BMW at high speed off the end of a runway in Ocala, Florida. Turned out the driver was registered at a BMW forum and the members all figured out the hard way (type of car, name, city, etc) that it was this kid who had posted numerous times. Very tragic.

I have always wondered if anyone who is a TPF member ever passed away ... I mean someone who is an active member or something .. like has anyone suddenly been MIA and then someone else found out that they have passed away? ..
Don't know why this question popped into my head but I am curious ... do you know of anything like that happening here? How would we ever know?
You know that is weird, but I was just thinking the same thing the other day. Glad to know I'm not the only on who wondered about this.

this is interesting thread..! its indeed very sad..and there's no way we all would know of everyone who passes.

I'm currently on the road w. my dh. I told him if anythin ever to happen to me..to pls log on pf and let yall know!! hehe. I reminded him that my name is ''louis lady''..

omg, as I was just typing that up there..a bucket came flying at us out of no where!! we're on the 405 freeway and we freaked out & ran over it as it dragged on the freeway.

There's a form of philosophy that basically says you aren't living a full life unless you are thinking about death! ROFL...anyway...

when I was 15 I started chatting in this Yahoo Chat for College Sports. We're all buddies, many of us have met in person, etc....well the year after I started in there, one of the guys died in a carwreck. It was so weird to think of someone affecting you that much, that you had never met. But it hit a lot of us very hard. I think about it from time to time.

I don't feel like it's a morbid question at all. I think it's common to form attachments to members, and when they suddenly disappear after posting on a regular basis it is worrisome and human nature to wonder if they've passed. I would rather know than wonder what happened. There's one or two that I have missed seeing posts from lately, and I even PM'd some members in their regular forum to see if they knew whatever became of them. No one seemed to know. Kind of leaves you feeling empty. :sad:

Wow! That is a great question and should make us all wonder. I mean there is obviously someone behind the name and the posting so maybe there shall be a method or a way to know this...

I recently learned that one former moderator on a webmaster board I frequent died lonely at home and his body was found almost a month later. It was only due to the concern of a lady he used to talk to via IM frequently, she contacted his landlord and they opened up his apartment to find him passed out over his keyboard. Sadly, he had been a bit of a hermit at home, not much social contact, previous history of heart diseases. Very, very sad.

I recently learned that one former moderator on a webmaster board I frequent died lonely at home and his body was found almost a month later. It was only due to the concern of a lady he used to talk to via IM frequently, she contacted his landlord and they opened up his apartment to find him passed out over his keyboard. Sadly, he had been a bit of a hermit at home, not much social contact, previous history of heart diseases. Very, very sad.

Something similar happened. My brother lives in a town home, and his neighbor..which was 2 steps away from his front door..was an old lady. She died in her bed, peacefully and no one found her until about a month later.

She was lonely, and obviously had no family b/c another neighbor was the one that saw her through her glass sliding door dead on her bed.

:sad: