Harry Potter Blamed For School Shootings ??

Doesn't The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe represent the Bible, or something? Doesn't it have magic in it? (Sorry, it's been SO long since I've read it!)

Why aren't people all up in arms about that?

Yes, the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is hugely analogous to the story of Christ. The scene where Aslan sacrifices himself on the stone table makes me cry every time!

As for HP...I absolutely LOVE the books and the movies. To the point of obsession. LOL However, I would not want my own children reading the books until they were older. Just my preference. I wouldn't let my children read the Hobbit either...or the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe until they're older. I also plan to talk to them about things like make believe. I want a child who lives in reality but can enjoy entering fantasy through books.

I grew up in the church and also watched all the classic Disney movies (Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.) and I think I turned out okay. :roflmfao:

Oh my God, I remember when I worked at Barnes & Noble. I was covering the children's section, right around the time when they had tables set up for summer reading. A mother came in with her son who looked like he was in the fifth grade. They brought the list of books he was required to read. The books on the list were old and out of date, so I suggested maybe he could read some books off of another fifth grade class's list.

Both the mother and son were like, "Noooo." The mother then explained her son went to Catholic school.

I have read the entire series of books, and not once does Rowling advocate any kind of violence.

I am a fan of the Harry Potter books because they get students who normally do not like to read, deeply immersed in literature! Rowlings uses vocabulary that is quite sophisticated, and what I have found in my experience as an English teacher is that the students who profess to enjoy reading Harry Potter and other books write at a significantly higher level than those students who don't read for pleasure. Unfortunately, many of my students are not reading enough on their own (they would rather play video games) and it shows in their writing.

i love the harry potter series and i can't imagine how it's BAD for kids. sure, the books get increasingly violent as Harry goes thru school, but you are supposed to grow with the books.

i agree with everyone else on this forum. some people take things too far...

a bit OT but i once asked my cousin what she was dressing her 6 year old daughter up as for halloween. she looked at me and said, V goes to a Christian school...we don't celebrate pagan beliefs. i was stunned. halloween is halloween...just another americanized holiday where kids get to dress up as barbie and ask strangers for candy. i couldn't believe that V was banned from celebrating Halloween...oh, she's also not allowed to watch Disney films or play with Barbie. :wacko::wacko: