Hardware turning green?

baghag91

Nov 20, 2019
Hi all I picked up my pink classic and found this weird green growth on the back of the bag, any idea how to get rid of it/causes?
I live in Australia, only had the bag for about 6 months (winter, used maybe three times in that period on sunny days) from Japanese seller.
Thanks!

B3E160B1-1DE1-4E71-AFBA-1759CEEF21F2.jpeg

51C4735E-AF2D-4E6C-8419-4863931FABAB.jpeg

Reactions: RT1
You might find this video helpful-ish:

It's oxidation, think like the Statue of Liberty turning green. That video is for an LV bag, however. I'm not sure how this Brasso stuff would work against Bal leather, as I'm sure some touching is unavoidable. I imagine that the hardware itself has not turned green because it has been coated with something, but perhaps this coating was not applied underneath the hardware... so the green has only formed around it.

I would personally take it to a professional bag cleaning service. Or try using a sewing needle to try and chip out the green stuff while putting a little masking tape over the surrounding areas to avoid as much contact to the leather as possible... I don't really know though, just some ideas! :smile:

Good luck!

Looks like it's tarnishing, perhaps? I have no experience with this, but maybe if you got a Q-tip with a little leather cleaner on it and work at it gently it will help.
That’s what it looks like to me...hardware is tarnishing. :yes:
I would not use any chemicals on it. :tdown:
Perhaps, a little Baking Soda on a Q-tip or as @atlantis1982 suggested, some leather cleaner on a Q-tip will do the trick.

Reactions: baghag91
You might find this video helpful-ish:

It's oxidation, think like the Statue of Liberty turning green. That video is for an LV bag, however. I'm not sure how this Brasso stuff would work against Bal leather, as I'm sure some touching is unavoidable. I imagine that the hardware itself has not turned green because it has been coated with something, but perhaps this coating was not applied underneath the hardware... so the green has only formed around it.

I would personally take it to a professional bag cleaning service. Or try using a sewing needle to try and chip out the green stuff while putting a little masking tape over the surrounding areas to avoid as much contact to the leather as possible... I don't really know though, just some ideas! :smile:

Good luck!

Awesome thank you!

Reactions: electricbluerita
T
That’s what it looks like to me...hardware is tarnishing. :yes:
I would not use any chemicals on it. :tdown:
Perhaps, a little Baking Soda on a Q-tip or as @atlantis1982 suggested, some leather cleaner on a Q-tip will do the trick.
Thanks! I will try that and see if it doesn't come back. It's disappointing on what would have been such an expensive bag.

• Love