Hardware Talk - Gold, Silver, Ruthenium, Black, Shiny Light Gold, etc.

justnewyork

Sofa King Banned
Jan 18, 2019
I’d like to know your thoughts on the different types of hardware Chanel has to offer.

Most favorite hardware? Least favorite hardware? Why?

How do you take care of your bags’ hardware?

Any awful experiences with a particular hardware?

What do you like about the hardware of your bags? How are they keeping up?

Any repair issues?

As far as I know, the following are the hardware selections - I’d like to know your opinions on each hardware type and whatever experiences - good or bad - you’ve had with the hardware:

* 24K gold plated (was available until the late 2000’s)

* The new type of gold hardware offered after they stopped producing the 24k gold plated

* Antique finish gold hardware

* Silver hardware

* Ruthenium hardware

* Black hardware

* Shiny light gold

Did I miss anything?

Let’s talk!

My boy bag is in the Ruthenium - the hardware is just gorgeous!!! I've had it for around 5 years and I still admire the hardware :smile: It's unique in that not many designer bags offer this hardware, and has a slight edgy vibe.

I also like the shiny light gold, it's absolutely beautiful! Not sure if it's classic enough at this stage yet!

Reactions: WineAndCoco
My favourite is the Rainbow hardware! No issues to date *crossing fingers*

Black hardware with the rainbow streaks is a close 2nd. My so black Boy, so black chevron Gabrielle and so black mini are holding up fine. However, couple of issues with another two-
  • Had the clasp on my older 2.55 repaired once, it was my favourite 227
  • My M/L 11.12 chevron was 'ink'ing onto my Vernis LV after the chain touched the patent leather while being displayed in my cabinet for maybe 2 weeks - I was not happy about that, my brand new Vernis was a write-off :annoyed:

Reactions: Egel
Black so (iridescent) is my top choice
ruthenium
silver

im not a gold hw person but I do like gold and pink gold jewelry so have decided to just not match.

I have one 24k hw vintage small, one ruthenium hw reissue 227, and one "new gold" hw 19 flap. I love them all, but I sure do adore that original 24K! I have had no issues with any of them. :smile:

I have pieces in almost all hardwares except rainbow and black (generally prefer the gold hardware - all types of gold - over silver/ruthenium but still love and own a few pieces in those).

I just realized that the shiny gold (not light gold) only comes on the classics (black and beige CFs and the classic SLGs). Am I correct? Other seasonal pieces either have the light gold or the brushed/antique gold.

Last edited:
I like having a mixture of the different hardware. Mostly because I gravitate towards black Chanel bag and the hardware as well as the pattern are what make me feel like i don't have the same bag :smile: I currently have silver, aged gold, shiny gold, and ruthenium. I'd love to add a so black to my collection.

I’m thinking of getting a preloved Reissue with ruthenium hardware but there seems to be some darkening on the ruthenium mademoiselle lock. Is this normal for older reissues? Is this something that can be cleaned perhaps?

You missed the shiny Ruthenium (or gunmetal).

Anyway my Fav hardwares are the aged ruthenium and shiny light gold. I also like Silver...
Do you know how the gunmetal hardware compares in looks to the silver hardware? I am looking at a preloved bag from 2008 and is hard to tell much from the photos and not able to ask for other pics, but it photographs closer to shiny silver). I love the silver finish on other Chanels and don’t care for the rustic look of some of the other metals (just my preference, nothing wrong with them for others.). Will the gunmetal be a grayish rustic look or closer to silver tone? Tried looking at other bag photos but just getting more confused...