Hardware Protectors on Chanel?

tffanyt

Jun 26, 2020
Hey guys!

Just recently purchased my first Chanel bag. I got my hands on the Medium Le Boy ( black chevron caviar w/ champagne gold HW ).

Have taken the front plastic peel off, still debating if I should take the peel off of the back of the clasp. ( part that hits the bag the most ).

Please help! would love some feedback.

Hey guys!

Just recently purchased my first Chanel bag. I got my hands on the Medium Le Boy ( black chevron caviar w/ champagne gold HW ).

Have taken the front plastic peel off, still debating if I should take the peel off of the back of the clasp. ( part that hits the bag the most ).

Please help! would love some feedback.

some people leave the protectors on, but I’ve read frequently that leaving them on for a long time can cause the hardware to oxidize and discolor. So I always take them off. Kind of a fun “tag cutting” ceremony :smile:

some people leave the protectors on, but I’ve read frequently that leaving them on for a long time can cause the hardware to oxidize and discolor. So I always take them off. Kind of a fun “tag cutting” ceremony :smile:
Wait, does this actually cause the hardware to oxidize??? I left mine on my Le Boy for the past 3 years and now I'm wondering if I screwed myself :shocked:

Reactions: ChanelCanuck
Wait, does this actually cause the hardware to oxidize??? I left mine on my Le Boy for the past 3 years and now I'm wondering if I screwed myself :shocked:

Honestly the reviews are really mixed. Here’s a post that says they left them on too long and moisture got trapped underneath, causing issues. Lots of other opinions stating the opposite in that thread, though. It seems like a dilemma of which type of wear you are more afraid of - scratches (without the protectors), or discoloration/oxidization (with the protectors).

I personally am not concerned about scratches on the hardware because it makes the bag seem loved :smile: but I totally understand wanting to keep it scratch-free!

Reactions: ncabahug
Honestly the reviews are really mixed. Here’s a post that says they left them on too long and moisture got trapped underneath, causing issues. Lots of other opinions stating the opposite in that thread, though. It seems like a dilemma of which type of wear you are more afraid of - scratches (without the protectors), or discoloration/oxidization (with the protectors).

I personally am not concerned about scratches on the hardware because it makes the bag seem loved :smile: but I totally understand wanting to keep it scratch-free!
Ah, I only left the plastic on the plate at the back of the lock, not the actual lock in the front. In retrospect, discoloration and scratches in that area wouldn't really bother me so maybe I should just take it off. I actually forgot that was there until I read this thread tbh :lol:

Reactions: ItsPurseonal
Ah, I only left the plastic on the plate at the back of the lock, not the actual lock in the front. In retrospect, discoloration and scratches in that area wouldn't really bother me so maybe I should just take it off. I actually forgot that was there until I read this thread tbh :lol:

You can keep the one on the back, it will only last a few months anyways before falling off on its own with use. It shouldn't harm the bag.

I believe it depends on the climate. If you live in a humidity environment or your bag is stored where there is humidity you can have that issue so I would definitely remove it. If you are in an area with very low humidity or a dry area I would keep an eye on it but once the plastic starts to lift, it is time to remove it.

I believe it depends on the climate. If you live in a humidity environment or your bag is stored where there is humidity you can have that issue so I would definitely remove it. If you are in an area with very low humidity or a dry area I would keep an eye on it but once the plastic starts to lift, it is time to remove it.
I just took the plastic off actually. There was no discoloration, oxidization, that sticky feeling, or any changes to the hardware even after 3 years of just chilling on there. :smile: However, I do live in a desert. You're right, the hardware changes might be more related to humidity rather than the plastic, which may just exacerbate the effect.

I just took the plastic off actually. There was no discoloration, oxidization, that sticky feeling, or any changes to the hardware even after 3 years of just chilling on there. :smile: However, I do live in a desert. You're right, the hardware changes might be more related to humidity rather than the plastic, which may just exacerbate the effect.

Wow that is good to know that your plastic was on for 3 years with no issue! I just purchased the Trendy CC "small" (really it's more like a mini size) top handle bowling bag and I still have the plastic on the Trendy plate. The plastic appeara to be sealed on there AIR TIGHT! If I wanted to take it off I would have to trim the edges with a blade to lift and remove. Lol. I'm in the desert as well.

Reactions: ncabahug
They actually sell hardware protectors for some of the Chanel bags here. https://www.thehandbaghaven.co.uk/collections/chanel-2
I wonder if theirs would also cause oxidation or discoloration if left too long in humid environment. I have not taken the inside stickers off for almost a year, but the stickers on the CC lock tends to always fall off anyway.
I ordered some but didn’t like and returned. I didn’t like the dulling effect on the hardware. I take my stickers off the front of the hardware but have left it on the underneath bits which aren’t visible and my bags have been totally fine.

I figure if hardware gets really scratched up you can get it replaced.

Reactions: Chloe1004
I ordered some but didn’t like and returned. I didn’t like the dulling effect on the hardware. I take my stickers off the front of the hardware but have left it on the underneath bits which aren’t visible and my bags have been totally fine.

I figure if hardware gets really scratched up you can get it replaced.
Good to know! I was thinking of getting their leather conditioner for Chanel lambskin and saw the protectors. I probably won’t be getting the protectors then.

Reactions: juicybon