Hard workers vs the Privileged

amymarie

Oct 6, 2008
I am 24, I graduated last year with a BA in Psychology, but I decided to go back to school for nursing. I chose the accelerated route to get my BSN (14 months rigorous program). I finished 5 months (21 credit hours) of it, I studied/worked harder than I ever did in my other undergraduate. I had 15+ hour days of class, clinical and studying/reading. On the weekends, I still studied many hours and had very little time for anything else.

In the nursing classes, you must get a 75% average on exams before any other class points are calculated in. If you don't get a 75% test average, you fail, even if you have other points in the class. I had As in all my other classes, but there was 1 class that was difficult for me. I had a B+ overall in the class but only a 78% test average going into the final exam.

I have a friend in class whos father is VP of Academic Affairs. She rarely studies and gets Cs in her classes/exams. My whole class is always concerned about their grades and studies hard, but she is never concerned about anything. She had a 75% test average (compared to my 78% test average) in the class.

I knew I had to do well on the final, I studied HARD... we go over the multiple choice portion of the exam after everyone is done. I calculated my score from what I missed. There was no way I did not pass the class. My friend missed more than me and was on the verge of not passing. The next day, before grades were even posted, my friend's dad (the VP) texted her and told her she passed and not to tell anyone. However, she showed me the text message.. and also told another friend. how unprofessional was that of her dad?!! Anyway, when grades were posted, I did not pass by 0.2% or 1 test point. I feel there was a miscalculation and I talked to the professors and they would not allow me to see the final exam, as if they were hiding something. My friend on the other hand, passed by 0.75 test points, just barely. I feel screwed over and that something is very fishy about all of this. It does not make sense that I did not pass and they they wouldn't allow me to see my test.

I tried to speak with the professor and the program director; they still wouldn't let me see the exam and did not care that I had great grades in everything else and a B+ overall in the class but I still didn't pass by 0.2% for the test average. I want to take this to a higher authority, but the next person is my friend's dad (VP of academic affairs). I emailed him about my situation and he brushed it off. I find the whole thing unfair and suspicious.

I just want to know what you guys think about this situation. I know there is probably nothing I can do about it at this point. What can you do when the ones in charge are the ones who screw you over and there is no one else to talk to about it? I just feel disappointed because I worked my butt off in the program and got kicked out for no good reason (to me). But my friend who's father is in charge at school, rarely works hard, gets C's and somehow passed the class and I didn't. It doesn't make sense, the numbers of the final grade did not add up when we went over the multiple choice portion after the exam.

It is upsetting to me because now I have to go thru the traditional route and it may take up to 3 years compared to the 14 months. I plan to look into other schools because I don't want to go back to a school that I feel screwed me over. I don't want to give up on my goal, but this feels so discouraging after what happened to me.

Also: last night, the classmates went out for a drink. We were near campus and walking back to my friend's place. We were joking around about my friend getting kicked out for being intoxicated at a dry campus (she lives on campus) and guess what she said: "My dad works here, I'm not getting kicked out!" WOW....

Thank you for letting me vent...

This is absolutely ridiculous. I would maybe first talk to a professor that you liked about it (someone you know who would be on your side), then plan a meeting with someone close in ranking to the VP, and if not, then the president. This man should be fired and his daughter should be kicked out. This is totally not okay.

Unfortunately this happens a lot - I knew someone who got into the MBA program because her mother is one of the profs who recruits for the program and this girl had D's and low C's. One of my courses in which I was suppose to fail (I was getting D's throughout the course), the prof gave me a C to pass because he knew my parents. In his office, he told me the final grade that he had adjust to pass me when I flunked the final exam.

Have you talked to the Department Head about this situation? I don't see why they won't allow you to see your exam - it's not like you're asking to take it and fudge your answers after the fact. If you plan a meeting with the president or someone similar to the VP of Academic Affairs, you should have someone from the university to be with you too - maybe a student liaison officer or someone similar.

Thanks. Yeah it's unfortunate that it happens a lot. :sad: I know nothing will come out of it, like I won't be able to go back into the program or anything. Because by the time we set up any meeting, the next term starts next week already. I want to figure out what I am going to do first (go to their traditional program or go to another school) then I will definitely write a letter to the Dean of Nursing about the whole situation. Even though they won't do anything, I just want to be made known that these things are occurring.

I want to say something about my friend's dad - the VP of Academic Affairs, but I don't have the hard proof..Just the couple of friends who saw the text message as well..so is it worth saying it?

If you talk to someone at school (Department Head, etc), don't bring your friend into at all. Professors don't want to hear it, and probably aren't allowed to talk about other students due to privacy regulations. Keep everything centred on yourself.

Does your school have an ombudsperson? That might be a good place to start.

If you talk to someone at school (Department Head, etc), don't bring your friend into at all. Professors don't want to hear it, and probably aren't allowed to talk about other students due to privacy regulations. Keep everything centred on yourself.

This is a good idea.
The heartbreak in your post is so clear, and I am so very sorry this happened to you. It is not fair, and I really hope you get to the bottom of this.

For what it is worth, which right now is probably nothing, the person whose dad is the VP will not get far in life, especially if she tries to make it as a RN, because when it comes to hard work she won't be able to do it and nursing is very hard work.
You on the other hand will do well, once this is past you.

Yeah I definitely won't whine about my friend getting by. I will discuss not passing by 0.2%, the numbers not adding up and not being able to see the final exam (when we have always been able to review past exams).

I'm just not sure if I should bring up my friend's dad's unprofessionalism? I guess it may not do any good because I have no hard proof.

That's a good idea, I may look into seeing if the school has something like that. thank you.

This is a good idea.
The heartbreak in your post is so clear, and I am so very sorry this happened to you. It is not fair, and I really hope you get to the bottom of this.

For what it is worth, which right now is probably nothing, the person whose dad is the VP will not get far in life, especially if she tries to make it as a RN, because when it comes to hard work she won't be able to do it and nursing is very hard work.
You on the other hand will do well, once this is past you.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

I'm surprised they would kick you out of the program for .2%. Humans and machines are both capable of making grading errors so it's totally possible that you could have really passed the test. If I were you, I would not let myself get kicked out of school for .2% without doing everything I possibly could. Take this as high as you need to and try to speak with everyone face to face. It's a lot harder for people to tell you there's nothing they can do when they have to say it to your face vs. email. I wouldn't bring up your friend or her dad because that's getting too personal. You don't want to make any enemies during the process.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
I tried to speak with everyone I could so far. They all said the same thing, they can't do anything, the grade is the grade and no chance of reviewing the final exam. The next term for the accelerated program starts Monday, so even if I do something, it will be too late :sad:

I have to accept that I won't be in the program anymore. But I still want to say something about the situation. But I am being smart about it and waiting to see what my options are. I may go to a different school. Or I may stay at that school (though I don't want to). If I stay at the school, I don't want to make enemies.

The whole not being able to view your exam really gets to me. Through my college classes, I remember being able to make an appointment to go over any final exam with my professor, if I chose to.

I absolutely think there is some sort of ethical violation by not allowing you to view your final exam.