Happy with your PS1+ or other calf leather PS1 version)?

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

I’m considering a PS1 in calf leather, as I’m in the camp that doesn’t love the wrinkled look of the lamb version after some use. If you have one in calf, how happy are you with it, and how has it held up/changed over time? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I found a lot of pictures of the bags new online, but am having trouble finding used ones for comparison. TIA!

I don't have a PS1+, which, I believe, is supposed to be a bit less prone to curling and overall softening of the leather, but I own a PS1 Pouch in calfskin. It's about five or six years old, but hasn't been worn all that much due to it being too small and not really my color.

It does show some curling of the edges, which I imagine would only be more noticeable in a Medium or a Large PS1. There are some wrinkles, but they're not as noticeable as they would be if it were lambskin. Doesn't slouch quite as much, but my lamb PS1 is much bigger, so naturally the Pouch would hold its shape better. The calf leather is quite different from lambskin, you can definitely feel the grain and it's not as smooth. It's more rough, but not in a bad way. It feels dryer than lambskin. But I think it would feel a bit differently on each bag depending on the color and age.

I personally prefer lambskin over calfskin, but that's because I do love the wrinkled look. Can't say anything negative about Proenza calfskin. Definitely would've carried mine more if I hadn't bought it in this yellow color. I love it, but it just sooo isn't me.
On the shoulder.jpg Up close.jpg
Edit: forgot to upload the pictures! :biggrin:

Thanks so much, IntheOcean! Your pictures are really helpful, and your bag is fantastic. I personally love the yellow color. I have a yellow Loewe flamenco bag, and it is one of my favorite summer/vacation bags.

Thanks!

I don't have a PS1+, which, I believe, is supposed to be a bit less prone to curling and overall softening of the leather, but I own a PS1 Pouch in calfskin. It's about five or six years old, but hasn't been worn all that much due to it being too small and not really my color.

It does show some curling of the edges, which I imagine would only be more noticeable in a Medium or a Large PS1. There are some wrinkles, but they're not as noticeable as they would be if it were lambskin. Doesn't slouch quite as much, but my lamb PS1 is much bigger, so naturally the Pouch would hold its shape better. The calf leather is quite different from lambskin, you can definitely feel the grain and it's not as smooth. It's more rough, but not in a bad way. It feels dryer than lambskin. But I think it would feel a bit differently on each bag depending on the color and age.

I personally prefer lambskin over calfskin, but that's because I do love the wrinkled look. Can't say anything negative about Proenza calfskin. Definitely would've carried mine more if I hadn't bought it in this yellow color. I love it, but it just sooo isn't me.
View attachment 4533711 View attachment 4533712
Edit: forgot to upload the pictures! :biggrin:

Reactions: IntheOcean
Thanks so much, IntheOcean! Your pictures are really helpful, and your bag is fantastic. I personally love the yellow color. I have a yellow Loewe flamenco bag, and it is one of my favorite summer/vacation bags.

Thanks!
Happy to help ;) Hope you'll find the exact right Proenza for you. I kind of wish more people liked the PS1 bag, even though I do appreciate how under the radar it is. It's a shame the hype is over.

Reactions: serenityneow
I have PS1+ calf leather in both medium (asphalt grey) and tiny (sand) sizes. I bought the medium PS1+ gently used, and the tiny PS1+ was purchased new. Even though both are calf, I believe there can be variations in different batches of leather; the medium has thinner, smoother and softer calf leather, probably because it has been used. When I first received it, the back of the bag has already begun to collapse. Meanwhile my PS1+ tiny is more grainy with thicker leather and is completely structured.
I have regular PS1 bags in lamb in both medium and tiny sizes as well. Compare PS1 and PS1+, there are actually more differences than just the leather. There are certain features in PS1+ bags that I do like. I feel overall PS1+ bags have cleaner silhouette and look edgier, dressier, and more contemporary, but there are days I just want to carry my old fashioned PS1 bags. I am away on vacation, but I can post pictures after I get home next week.

I have PS1+ calf leather in both medium (asphalt grey) and tiny (sand) sizes. I bought the medium PS1+ gently used, and the tiny PS1+ was purchased new. Even though both are calf, I believe there can be variations in different batches of leather; the medium has thinner, smoother and softer calf leather, probably because it has been used. When I first received it, the back of the bag has already begun to collapse. Meanwhile my PS1+ tiny is more grainy with thicker leather and is completely structured.
I have regular PS1 bags in lamb in both medium and tiny sizes as well. Compare PS1 and PS1+, there are actually more differences than just the leather. There are certain features in PS1+ bags that I do like. I feel overall PS1+ bags have cleaner silhouette and look edgier, dressier, and more contemporary, but there are days I just want to carry my old fashioned PS1 bags. I am away on vacation, but I can post pictures after I get home next week.
Thank you for your input and yes, please, do post pictures! The more the better! The Asphalt Grey color is stunning, by the way.

So sorry for the very late reply! I bought something else, but am still thinking about the PS1+ (a very good sign!). Alice1979, thank you very much for the pictures and insight on the differences between the PS1 and PS1+ beyond the leather. Your bags are gorgeous, and while I didn’t realize there were differences in the style beyond the leather and tag, I can see them clearly now. I too really like the sleekness and edginess of the PS1+.

I’m carrying my old lambskin PS1 for the first time in a long time this weekend (I forget the actual color name but would call it Bordeaux and it has silver hardware) and now remember why I love this bag so much. It easily holds a book, magazine, iPad, or small laptop, it looks very cool, and iI barely feel it when I walk all over creation, as I love to do. Perfect for my long weekend in NYC.

So sorry for the very late reply! I bought something else, but am still thinking about the PS1+ (a very good sign!). Alice1979, thank you very much for the pictures and insight on the differences between the PS1 and PS1+ beyond the leather. Your bags are gorgeous, and while I didn’t realize there were differences in the style beyond the leather and tag, I can see them clearly now. I too really like the sleekness and edginess of the PS1+.

I’m carrying my old lambskin PS1 for the first time in a long time this weekend (I forget the actual color name but would call it Bordeaux and it has silver hardware) and now remember why I love this bag so much. It easily holds a book, magazine, iPad, or small laptop, it looks very cool, and iI barely feel it when I walk all over creation, as I love to do. Perfect for my long weekend in NYC.
I don't have a PS1+, but I have the style where a thin leather ribbon is woven into the face (attached). I believe it's calfskin, since it's very thick, sturdy, and structured. I'm stunned how much I love this bag. It holds its shape perfectly, never flops over, bends, sags, twists, or stretches. The full leather lining is a huge plus.

I love slouchy unstructured bags and have an ungodly number of them. But when I wanted a structured, smooth leathered bag, I went for this one and it's exceeded my expectations. I have two bags my mom regularly threatens to steal, and this is one of them.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 10.05.44 AM.png