Happy to finally use Best Offer! Need opinions!

I finally listed something using best offer after reading a post from a fellow TPFer. I have sold hundreds of luxury goods and never would list anything that's fake.

A potential buyer sends me a question right away asking if the item is authentic. It's stated clearly on my page it is and to view my feedback.

I send a really kind message back to reassure them and to offer to pay Carol Ives to authenticate the item. Again, I tell them to please view my feedback.

They respond:
I will take it to the store, if it's fake I will open up a dispute with paypal and file a charge back on my credit card and send the item back to you.

Does this seem a little harsh for a response? After reading stories in this forum I am hesitant to accept an offer from someone that seems they are not sure to begin with. I surely don't want to get a fake item returned back to me.

Best offer has it's pros and cons but in this case it's nice to get a glimpse into someone's personality before hand.

Does anyone else see this as a potential problem? They do not have a lot of feedback for buying anything expensive.

Block this buyer asap!!! What a total PITA you do not want this kind of buyer bidding on your stuff, the stores dont authenticate anything anyways

I finally listed something using best offer after reading a post from a fellow TPFer. I have sold hundreds of luxury goods and never would list anything that's fake.

A potential buyer sends me a question right away asking if the item is authentic. It's stated clearly on my page it is and to view my feedback.

I send a really kind message back to reassure them and to offer to pay Carol Ives to authenticate the item. Again, I tell them to please view my feedback.

They respond:
I will take it to the store, if it's fake I will open up a dispute with paypal and file a charge back on my credit card and send the item back to you.

Does this seem a little harsh for a response? After reading stories in this forum I am hesitant to accept an offer from someone that seems they are not sure to begin with. I surely don't want to get a fake item returned back to me.

Best offer has it's pros and cons but in this case it's nice to get a glimpse into someone's personality before hand.

Does anyone else see this as a potential problem? They do not have a lot of feedback for buying anything expensive.

I can understand the buyers concern but they could of responded in a much nicer way. It's very nerve wracking to buy luxury items on eBay and not get ripped off!
I just went through this with a seller but I was much kinder with my words. I was in the process of being offered a second chance offer on a high end handbag and really wanted to confirm the authenticity before purchase. I asked for additional photos and said I was planning on having the handbag authenticated. The seller responded, a little defensively, that if I didn't trust the authenticity she would sell it to someone else. I wrote back that I meant no offense but I had been scammed before. She relented and sent me the additional pictures I requested in addition to a second chance offer. I'm now awaiting the handbag and authentication, nerve wracking!
I think your potential buyer might be afraid of getting scammed...or they might really be pita's! I would respond nicely and if they continue with the harshness I might think twice about accepting an offer. My thought is that if they're acting this way now, who knows how they might act later? good luck!

It definitely runs both ways. Understandably both buyers and sellers want hassle-free transactions. A buyer who started the communication with that kind of combative tone would make me doubtful that the transaction would be hassle-free. I would pass on the offer.

They respond:

Exactly.....BLOCK to avoid a major headache!

With a buyer who has this kind of tone in an e-mail, is not the type of buyer

I would be interested in selling an item to.. every buyer may have concerns about

an item being authentic, however, this is not the right way IMO to go about making

sure that a seller's item is authentic...BLOCK HER...BIG TIME...

Sounds like a savvy buyer who knows her rights and protection :smile:) But yes I do agree the tone of voice is not at all friendly and it may turn out to be a rather troublesome transaction so...advisable to wait for a better buyer to come along, IMO.

I decided to block them after their offer expired. I always look at people's feedback when buying luxury goods and it does make me feel better when someone is known for selling higher priced items. I surely wouldn't have any reservations if someone offered to pay for authentication and received a direct e-mail from Carol saying it's authentic. I'm obviously not trying to sell fake anything!

The tone makes my skin crawl and there is a feeling in my gut that says heck NO! I would rather keep my limited item than take a chance.

Ebay is no longer fun. Scam artist ruin everything!!! I hate that it's so easy to mistrust but it's gotten so bad.