Happy Lunar New Year 2013!!

Xin Nian Kwai Le!

<---- (pointing to my avatar), Ta si jong gua ren, he may gua ren. Wo si ta Mama. :biggrin:

(Ok, I know I got some of that pinyin is wrong. Sorry. :flowers: Daughter and I are in our second year of Mandarin school, and it's an uphill battle, especially with the tones. But we're trying. I promise. )

She received her red envelope, plus a few other gifts, and we actually had noodles and dumplings both Saturday with her Philipino godfather (the New Year having already started by Beijing-time, I think), and had them again Sunday as well.

And Wednesday we're giving a "Spring Festival pizza party" to daughter's entire fourth grade at school. (If the school won't acknowledge Chinese New Year for the kids, then fine, we'll do it ourselves. ;) )

Yes I know pizza is far from standard, but we're trying to please as many kids as we can. And at least pizza sauce is red ("hong se"). ;) I have an embroidered fish, dumplings, pictures of old money, noodles, and a Cantonese-style lion marionette ready to go, so I can give a little talk on some of the traditions. I'm only mildly scared to death.

Sorry, I just love celebrating this one. :biggrin: :flowers:

Last edited:
Happy CNY.
Here's a pic of the Sydney Opera House lit up in red to celebrate Chinese lunar New Year.

sohcny_zpsd779e70b.jpg

Xin Nian Kwai Le!

<---- (pointing to my avatar), Ta si jong gua ren, he may gua ren. Wo si ta Mama. :biggrin:

(Ok, I know I got some of that pinyin is wrong. Sorry. :flowers: Daughter and I are in our second year of Mandarin school, and it's an uphill battle, especially with the tones. But we're trying. I promise. )

She received her red envelope, plus a few other gifts, and we actually had noodles and dumplings both Saturday with her Philipino godfather (the New Year having already started by Beijing-time, I think), and had them again Sunday as well.

And Wednesday we're giving a "Spring Festival pizza party" to daughter's entire fourth grade at school. (If the school won't acknowledge Chinese New Year for the kids, then fine, we'll do it ourselves. ;) )

Yes I know pizza is far from standard, but we're trying to please as many kids as we can. And at least pizza sauce is red ("hong se"). ;) I have an embroidered fish, dumplings, pictures of old money, noodles, and a Cantonese-style lion marionette ready to go, so I can give a little talk on some of the traditions. I'm only mildly scared to death.

Sorry, I just love celebrating this one. :biggrin: :flowers:

That's very thoughtful of you to bring awareness to the Chinese traditions to the children. My brother was crazy about the Chinese lion that my dad bought him a full size one when he was a child, each year for Chinese New Year, my mom would bring it to school and the principal would let us tour around the school with it going into all the classrooms.