Happy Cinco de Mayo

Sep 23, 2006
Today is Cinco de Mayo!!! Is anyone else going to celebrate? My gal pals and I are going to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch? I try to do this every year...so anyone else got big plans?

Brief History according to wikepedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "5th of May") is primarily a regional and not an obligatory federal holiday in Mexico.[1][2][3][4][5] The holiday commemorates an initial victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. The date is observed in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.
A common misconception in the United States is that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day; Mexico's Independence Day is actually September 16 (dieciséis de septiembre in Spanish), which is the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.

Oh, I also signed up for spanish classes that start on this week wednesday. I'm going on a cruise to Cozumel and I want to be able to learn the Spanish language. Besides, I think it is good for me to know different cultures and languages! I'm excited!!!!

La La La La Laaaaa La La La La Laaaaaaaaaa....

The sangria has been mellowing in the fridge for almost 24 hours, the guacamole is resting in a bowl on the counter, and the chicken is marinating in the fridge for the fajitas! Olé!

:drinkup:

We had mexican for lunch, but that's all I did to celebrate. I heard a story on the news this morning about how many alcohol-related accidents there are on Cinco de Mayo, so I came straight home after work!

Yes!! Some friends and I went out to celebrate after work last night....started off low-key with just drinks and discussion, but ended up in a Latin-themed bar/restaurant with awesome mojitos and salsa music.

We just threw the plans together last minute, but it turned out to be really fun. :tup: