Handwashing Scarves Pictures Part I

CobaltBlu

Butterfly Wrangler
O.G.
Oct 20, 2006
I wanted to include these pictures of a hand washing extravaganza I had one rainy and dull Friday night a couple of weeks ago.

I will try to publish part II tomorrow...I need to steam some of these in order to get good photos, and I need to buy batteries!!

I know many of you are afraid to wash your silks, and some of us get really worried when we see color in the water...

So, I am including some pictures to help ease your fears, if you are on the fence about washing your silken treasures.

These scarves are slightly different in that they are made using fiber reactive dyes, and painted, rather then silkscreened...but the dyes are set using a steam process, and of course the material is generally the same.

The first pictures here are of a hand made silk mousseline scarf, which I painted myself years ago. I am also including a close up of the hem area. This is different from an Hermes carre, because when this scarf was painted, the hem had already been handrolled...consequently, a lot of color settled in the hem area.

OK, lets start!
I used LeBlanc silk wash, and a little white vineagar.

Here it is spread out a little. this was doing using wax and several stages of painting.

attachment.php

Close up of the hem area, where you can see some color concentrated... You can also see the the hem got a little flat when it was dry cleaned after painting. This is the only time I dry clean them, it is to remove any excess wax that remains after the process of ironing the silk between newsprint.. I put this away right after and only just got it out again after 15 years!! It really needed a wash!! Same for the other hand painted scarves I will show....

attachment.php

Now!! Into the water!! This scarf smelled musty....so I used warm water!

This is not for the weak of heart!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

The important thing here is to keep the water moving, and change it out if it gets really dark...eventually, you get this...

attachment.php

Next....a china silk scarf.....similar to twill....

Attachments

• plum mousse1.JPG
    plum mousse1.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 4,541
  • plum mousse 2.JPG
    plum mousse 2.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 4,496
  • plum mousse 3.JPG
    plum mousse 3.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 4,491
  • plum mousse 4.JPG
    plum mousse 4.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 4,501
  • plum mousse 5.JPG
    plum mousse 5.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 4,478
Reactions: TresBeauHermes
Before I go on, I want to show you a little something I rigged up for the REALLY dark scarves I wanted to wash....

I knew the had a lot of excess dye, and I wanted to wash them all together.
I rigged up this little system where I could run warm water over the lot of them, in advance of the real washing...

it is just a bowl positioned so that the water can keep running and run straight out after filling. This is great for scarves that release a lot of color and scare you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• water bath 1.JPG
    water bath 1.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 4,444
Now on to the china silk...it is a smooth silk, a little lighter in weight to the twills we get from Hermes....

This is another handpainted scarf...another case where it has never been washed. Was I afraid??? NAH!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

This water got changed a few times. I was using tepid/warm water.

Here is the next to final rinse...See...all is well!!

attachment.php

It is unlikely that your Hermes scarves will dump as much excess color as these...but I want to show you that you dont have to :sweatdrop: as long as you swish, change the water, and are careful!!

Next, a thick weave crepe silk.

Attachments

• heliconia 3.JPG
    heliconia 3.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 4,367
  • heliconia 2.JPG
    heliconia 2.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 4,370
  • heliconia 1.JPG
    heliconia 1.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 4,423
Oh, thank you friend!!!! I need pictures!!! I bought the Shout dye catchers, and I will order Le blanc if that is what you recommend. Unless there are other choices for the wash? You use the dye catchers?

This is a HEAVY silk crepe de chine...a large scarf with LOTS of color. Again, using the wax (the previous one was not painted with wax..)

Here she goes!!

attachment.php

This water had to go immediately:

attachment.php

OH, back to my comfort zone...

attachment.php

All is well...

attachment.php

Next, my vintage Mosaique!!!
Just so you know I really do it with the Hermes as well!! :P

Attachments

• drops 1.JPG
    drops 1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 4,363
  • drops 2.JPG
    drops 2.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 4,370
  • drops 3.JPG
    drops 3.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 4,351
  • drops 4.JPG
    drops 4.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 4,325
Oh, thank you friend!!!! I need pictures!!! I bought the Shout dye catchers, and I will order Le blanc if that is what you recommend. Unless there are other choices for the wash? You use the dye catchers?

Encore, I do not use them....Never have. I dont think there is any harm in it, but I use the multiple wash method.

I love the LeBlanc.:tup:

Mosiaque!

This scarf came to me dingy, smelly, and with flat hems.
I had to keep it in a ziploc bag to keep it from contaminating its cousins...

You may get an idea of the dinginess...

attachment.php

Because it seemed to have a film, maybe from repeated drycleanings or poor storage, I decided to start it out with a nice running waterbath in my bowl-in-sink setup. Mind you, by this point I had several scarves going in all my sinks and needed to automate a bit!

attachment.php

Most of the color discharge happened during the warm running water in the bowl rinse, so when I added the soap, it was minimal....

attachment.php

attachment.php

After I get back with batteries, I will show you how they all came out. I can also show some of the other silk scarves I painted...I started this when DD was a baby, and am hoping to get back to in in the next couple of months.....(LOL she is 15 now)

In the meantime, I hope this helps some of you get a little confidence in washing your silk pieces.....It can be done!

Attachments

• mosaique 1.JPG
    mosaique 1.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 4,465
  • mosaique 2.JPG
    mosaique 2.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 4,299
  • mosaique 3.JPG
    mosaique 3.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 4,258
  • mosaique 4.JPG
    mosaique 4.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 4,319
Thank you so much CB for taking the time!!!! It has been frightening to think about!!!! The pictures really help!!! :yes:I have a dingy e-bay one too, and I sure have been putting that thing off. The mousseline :heart: you painted is stunning! BTW! I am glad you are getting back to it!