Hands vs rotary cleansing brushes??

Macprincessx

Mar 31, 2013
When you clean your face what do you use your hands? A cleansing system like the clarisonic or the olay pro x system or maybe something else? I've noticed a few broken capillaries on the bridge of my nose I do blow my nose but I'm concerned if I'm not using the right method :-/ I use the olay pro x :-/

From memory the Olay pro ones rotate physically, correct me if I'm wrong, which can be quite harsh for the skin, I would treat it like a hard scrub, so definitely not something to use daily and try not to push too hard on the skin.. The clarisonic one doesn't actually rotate. It oscillates back and forth so it's much more gentler and some people are able to use it daily.

I am using clarisonic but sometimes, actually most of the time, when I'm lazy I'll just use my hands. That being said when I do use the brush my face feels smoother after.

I like the hand held brushes from Sephora. It's cheap like $7

I have the Clarisonic but it didn't work that well for me, it's a bit bulky and cumbersome so it sits under the sink.

I just purchased the Clinique Sonic Cleansing system kit $ 99 ( Comes with Clinique facial wash, toner, lotion.Sonic brush, stand etc.) The Clarisonic system is too harsh for me with my sensitive skin. The first day you only use it for 30 seconds and the cleansing brush will automatically stop after 30 seconds. They tell you you can use 1 minute twice a day and the brush head it super soft. I will let you know what happens after a week. My skin is sensitive and acne prone, and combination skin type. I didn't use the Clinique wash, lotion or toner. I used CeraVe foaming facial wash with the brush.

I just want to be sure if I have a reaction I can narrow it down to the brush being too much and not the products being used on my face that are new. I've had mixed reviews with Clinique skin care in the past which either broke me out or was too drying.

Many years ago I purchased a manual soft brush from Shiseido which was great but I stopped using it for some reason.

Last edited:
When you clean your face what do you use your hands? A cleansing system like the clarisonic or the olay pro x system or maybe something else? I've noticed a few broken capillaries on the bridge of my nose I do blow my nose but I'm concerned if I'm not using the right method :-/ I use the olay pro x :-/

I wanted to buy the Olay pro x but still using hands for now. Still wondering if cleansing brushes are really more effective ?

I just purchased the Clinique Sonic Cleansing system kit $ 99 ( Comes with Clinique facial wash, toner, lotion.Sonic brush, stand etc.) The Clarisonic system is too harsh for me with my sensitive skin. The first day you only use it for 30 seconds and the cleansing brush will automatically stop after 30 seconds. They tell you you can use 1 minute twice a day and the brush head it super soft. I will let you know what happens after a week. My skin is sensitive and acne prone, and combination skin type. I didn't use the Clinique wash, lotion or toner. I used CeraVe foaming facial wash with the brush.

I just want to be sure if I have a reaction I can narrow it down to the brush being too much and not the products being used on my face that are new. I've had mixed reviews with Clinique skin care in the past which either broke me out or was too drying.

Many years ago I purchased a manual soft brush from Shiseido which was great but I stopped using it for some reason.

keep us posted as how your skin feels with clinique ....good luck!

If one has roseaca, one has to be careful with machines (or sensitive skin be careful)

This! I used a Clarisonic (gentle brush and cleanser) and my skin nearly exploded. It was red, bumpy and sore for weeks.

What's roseaca?

It's a condition where the skin gets red, breaks out, sometimes sore; usually when you're older. Mine began in my 40's. The pimples and bumps are different from the younger acne. I don't know if it goes along with sensitive skin but I have both sensitive and rosacea. I have to be extremely careful about what I use. For example, no Retin-A or anything with an acid (most anti-pimple products).

I've been using the Clinique sonic system for a week now and I haven't had any break out issues. My skin feels smoother and I only use it at night not twice a day. In the morning I just wash my face with my cleanser and hands.

The Clinique system is not like the Clarisonic in which the brush head pulsates. I've never used the Clarisonic but I've had friends who have had good and bad results with the Clarisonic. I have sensitive skin /combo skin and (it's acne prone-more on the hormonal side).

I would purchase the Clinique system during the Sephora VIB/VIB Rouge sale if you aren't planning on purchasing the clarisonic because you can always return it if it doesn't work for you.

i used to have the Clarisonic but it's not working good for me and the routine recharging/replacing the brush is too tiresome for me. i now use Boscia konjac cleansing sponge and it works way better on my acne-prone skin.