Handle length: Longchamp Le Pliage / Planetes

mollipop

in lvoe
Aug 19, 2007
I just ordered a medium Planetes shopper (i.e., long-handled) online and I might be having second thoughts regarding handle length. Anyone have any thoughts on the practicality of the long handles vs short handles (for the medium size)?

The shopper seems easier to wear, but the handbag just looks so much more chic! I'm looking to wear this bag casually every day, but I'm not very used to carrying around a handbag in the crook of my arm. I guess the temptation of how cute the short-handled handbag looks is killing me, despite my friends steering me away from it because it will end up being "too tiring."

Is the short-handled one impractical for casual use? Do any of you use the short-handled Longchamp bags for everyday use and find them comfortable?

Ultimately, I'm leaning towards the short-handled one, unless it's less practical for an everyday bag. Just need some extra budging and convincing from fashionable and educated people—even if the steering is in the other direction! Thanks, you all are wonderful :heart:

Pictures

Last edited:
I have the long handled one and I think its perfect for everyday use. I personally can't do anything that doesn't go over the shoulder. The short handle one is really cute, but I think its impractical.

i have some of each! :lol:

the short handle Medium (Type M) is a bigger bag slightly than the long handle medium ("Shopping").

Do you think that the short handle Type M is comfortable for everyday casual use? And do you think it's slightly dressier than the long-handled medium?

I love how you have so many Longchamp bags :smile:

I think neither is dressy, but that is OK because I am a practical girl. :smile: Usually I prefer the long handle because it keeps the hands free.

For heavy things, I prefer the Type M because I do not want to hurt my shoulder and the bag is larger.

IMHO, the Type M seems more popular in Paris but the long handle seems more popular in US. It is all personal preference.

I think neither is dressy, but that is OK because I am a practical girl. :smile: Usually I prefer the long handle because it keeps the hands free.
. . .
IMHO, the Type M seems more popular in Paris but the long handle seems more popular in US. It is all personal preference.

Oh, yeah, the Longchamp Planetes and Le Pliage lines are not dressy, but I just meant that the short handles might look relatively more chic than the long handles.

I work in Manhattan and went to school in Boston, and I only usually see the long handles! I didn't know the short handled ones were popular in Paris. I like being a little different so you just nudged me a little closer toward changing my order to get the short handles instead...

I much prefer the long handles. I have 2 with long handles and 2 with short handles and I must say, I haven't used the short handle ones in months! It's just so much more convenient to be able to fit the bag on your shoulder.

I picked the short handles on my black Planètes for two reasons:
  1. The short handles are less common in New York and New England, and
  2. I used to own a long-handled medium Le Pliage until my sister swiped it. I just wanted something different. Soon, I'll pick up another long-handled large shopping Le Pliage in addition to my older 2006 model (which unfortunately has bubbling in the fabric), so I'll also have a Longchamp tote option for travel/classes.

The size M actually looks quite chic and dressy despite being a tote bag, especially since the leather matches the color of the bag. Sizewise, it works well on my 5'1, 115 lb frame. I absolutely love it! :blush:

:ty: Thanks for all of your input!

FYI: Unlike Le Pliage size M (short-handled), which is noticeably bigger than the medium shopping tote (long-handled), the Planètes size M is very close in size to its medium, long-handled counterpart. It's just 1 inch deeper. So in terms of size,
  • Le Pliage medium: Short handled ≫ Long-handled
  • Planètes medium: Short handled ≥ Long-handled

I think you made the right choice considering your needs. For a handbag (non work bag that I need to put a lot of junk in), I would get the long handle (which I have in Planetes large), but for a handbag, short handle all the way. I think it looks clean and polished!