Handbags in Japan

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi,

I am doing a bit of bag research to find out what different countries buy handbag wise.

I was just wondering what types/brands of handbags are popular amongst 23 year olds in Japan and also how many bags on average they have?

2. I don't know about 23-year-olds, but Louis Vuitton is one of the biggest designer brands in Japan. I think Louis Vuitton sends more of their products to Japan than any other country.
    You might be able to find ideas for brands from books and websites on Japanese street fashion. Also there are a lot of fashion subcultures that have their own brands that are interesting.

3. Actually, if you follow japanese fashion much, while women 30 and older are still passionate about european brands, the modern trend is towards home-grown designers. While many do, it's no longer de rigeure for young girls to sport Gucci or Louis Vuitton.

In fact, many labels have popped up to target specific age groups. Not unlike the Hannah Montana/Maz Azaria collaboration - but in Japan, these are actually successful collaborations. (And sometimes goverment sponsored!)
    I'd start by looking at the Japanese fashion organization, and the prolifery of street-blogs.

4. Just walking around central tokyo, the jimmy choo, chloe, and prada stores seem to be doing quite well. as far as women in their early 20's, I don't see them as brand specific as the women in their late 20's and 30's. but yeah, Louis Vutton and Gucci seem to be the most dominant brands.

5. Fashion is something all over the world. I have been to tokyo several times and seen many fashionable purses on the streets. Among them, Louis Vutton seems to be the most popular one.

6. I read somewhere that on average, every Japanese girl has at least 3 LV bags. I forgot where I saw this though.

I subscribe to many Japanese fashion mags, and I'd say they are still pretty heavily obsessed with designer/European brands. Every month they seem to feature new products from a specific brand (i.e., Gucci, YSL, LV). Specifically I read two mags, one that is geared for under 25, and another that is over 25. The over 25 mag features a LOT more designer duds, not only bags, but watches and shoes. Surprisingly they're not that obsessed with European clothing. My guess is that European sizing doesn't fit them that well?

Some brands that I see heavily rotated in the under 25 mags are: Coach, LV, Gucci, Prada, Samantha Thavasa, Loewe, YSL.

some brands that I see heavily in the over 25 mags are: LV, Gucci, Loewe, YSL, Hermes, Chanel (and other brands like Cartier, Louboutin, Sergio Rossi).

If you have a Japanese bookstore near you (such as Kinokuniya), you may want to check out their magazines.

7. Definitely agree with the LV bags. You should also check out Samantha Thavasa. It's a Japanese handbag/accessories brand that used to only be in Japan but recently came to the US. They have the cutest and prettiest bags. I like what they have in Japan more than what they do here. :sad: A lot of different American celebrities have represented this brand such as Paris and Nicky Hilton and Beyonce recently. I forgot the other celebrities.

Japanese girls are really into being "western", mostly girls who call themselves "gyaru". Look it up :smile: I hope I helped~ ;)

8. yep i agree w/ everything there. also, many of their own brands knock off the designs of those design houses.

the clothing in japan is cute and trendy... :smile: