Handbags and Lifestyle?

misslola

Feb 10, 2006
Does anyone feel that their lifestyle dictates what type of bag to use? Seems like many of you on this forum are students or young urban working women, while I am a middle-age suburban stay-at-home mom. I live in jeans and like a funky handbag to balance my boring clothes. In the suburb where I live I would feel just silly carrying a LV bag! Plus I don't necessarily like other people knowing exactly how much I paid for something.

What is a bag-lover to do?

misslola said:
Does anyone feel that their lifestyle dictates what type of bag to use? Seems like many of you on this forum are students or young urban working women, while I am a middle-age suburban stay-at-home mom. I live in jeans and like a funky handbag to balance my boring clothes. In the suburb where I live I would feel just silly carrying a LV bag! Plus I don't necessarily like other people knowing exactly how much I paid for something.

Basically me too. Only I work part time (at night) in a liquor store. Buy I buy what I like. Plus no one needs to know what you paid. If someone gets bossy with me about a designer bag, I tell them it was a gift.

I live in black clothing, so I like the funky bags too. Plus I hate the whole "Soccer Mom" look for me. So it's bags and boots to funk it up at bit. In fact, I don't even own sneakers!

This thread provokes a question on my part. Do you all think that a Botkier Trigger hobo is too big to work as a day time purse for a business woman? How big is too big for business wear, anyway?

Kathy K said:
This thread provokes a question on my part. Do you all think that a Botkier Trigger hobo is too big to work as a day time purse for a business woman? How big is too big for business wear, anyway?

I don't think that it is too big for business wear, especially if you carry a lot to work. I carry an MJ Stella bag, and I am fairly certain that it is larger than the Botkier.

I had a Botkier Trigger bag. I LOVED it, but it was way too heavy, big, and bulky for me to realistically carry. Sadly, I returned it. I wish they'd make a smaller, lighter version.

I buy what I like and then go with what's appropriate for my outfit. Or not. I wear casual clothes 99% of the time, and I have no problem carrying a Brahmin or LV. The Bally would be pushing it though. :lol:

misslola said:

YES, my choice in handbags is totally indicative of my lifestyle. I need big, roomy, easy to get into and durable.
I'm a SAHM in the suburbs of Dallas, but my current fave is my Vuitton Batignolles Horizontal.
I like funky too, I'm dying for a couple of IF bags.

Well, the different aspects of my lifestyle dictate which bag I carry. I'm a university professor, so during the day I tend to carry a large bag that can hold papers and such, usually one of my MJ Stellas or my Kooba Sienna. For going out, I don't like tiny bags, so I often carry something like one of my MJ Stams or my paddington. I'm a mom, too, so I like to have room in my bag for whatever I might need.

I guess my handbag collection is like my life .... a little bit of everything .... one day I'll be riding my motorcycle ... the next day I'll be at work at the courthouse ... the next day I'll have a formal to go to .... the next day I'll go out for a casual dinner with friends ... I also take several trips each year for pleasure .... at this point I pretty much have a bag for every occasion .... lol