Handbagclinic.co.uk got burgled - my bag is gone :-(

I ‘think’ BB means they wouldn’t have agreed to pay the ‘new’ retail value, of a replacement. Like if I bought a 2010 Corvette and a mechanic somehow totaled it, they wouldn’t reimburse me what a new 2019 Corvette costs, I’d get the value of the 2010 model.
So, like, they wouldn’t pay for you to go to Chanel and buy a new, unused one.
Exactly!

That actually happened to me with an iPhone; I took it to a mom-n-pop repair to have the earpiece speaker replaced after my biggest dog drooled RIGHT in it and sound got wonky.
Long story short,they took the screen off, had other jobs on the same table, and put someone else’s parts on my phone, frying the whole thing. They were really standup about it, they reviewed their video and realized they’d boned it. They actually said buy the newer one and reimbursed me for the phone, early upgrade fee, taxes, etc.
But I wasn’t expecting that much. Really ace on their part.
I have seen, like you say, many the stolen bag looked for online by the PF community; (I lurked a long time before joining)it’s downright friggin’ heartwarming there’s as much community as there is here! A bag can be very meaningful despite only being material but even if no memories are attached, most here are not made of SO much money we can lose a high end piece and be no worse off (for those who don’t get reimbursed) so it’s beautiful to see bag lovers hunting stolen beauties just out of righteous indignation!

I really am very interested to know the full behind-the-scenes of this, even though I know OP isn’t likely to be able to get the whole scoop.
I can’t see insurance paying the company’s losses out without a police report. Everyone has settled something here and there without getting insurance involved, sure, but how many stolen bags could they pay off out of pocket before it’d get prohibitively expensive? Especially since word will still probably get out among the bag community, as it has, and I’d think people likely to renovate/spa a bag (so their customer base) are much likelier than average to BE in the bag community.

Wish we had an eating-popcorn-dramatically animation!:doh:

Reactions: papertiger
I ‘think’ BB means they wouldn’t have agreed to pay the ‘new’ retail value, of a replacement. Like if I bought a 2010 Corvette and a mechanic somehow totaled it, they wouldn’t reimburse me what a new 2019 Corvette costs, I’d get the value of the 2010 model.
So, like, they wouldn’t pay for you to go to Chanel and buy a new, unused one.

But I’m glad to hear you got back everything you paid! That’s only right. It’s very fishy overall. I certainly will avoid considering them in future.
Oh okay i see what yo mean :smile:

I wasn't just looking for a "yes" or "no" answer to the questions. I was hoping you'd answer the actual questions (date, color, pictures) so those who try to help might FIND THE BAG!! (There have been cases (long threads here) where stolen bags WERE found on ebay. In fact, I found a victim's stolen Chanel bags listed by an ebay seller who runs a well-known pawn shop in Las Vegas.
Actually I dint have pics of the code but bag was so specific and rare I would have known straight away if I saw it again. Anyway, I think bag is long gone now and I got my money back so I would not be watching ebay for it to resurface..

still got that funny feeling they did not disclose full story and something just aint right here..

All seems fishy to me

*snip*

Many question marks here...

Even staff members at lower level didnt know about it.. maybe they suspected an insider’s job?? Idk..
I agree something "just aint right here" and "it seems fishy to me, too."

There certainly are many question marks but my questions aren't with the company.

I checked news reports for the robbery, something that would certainly have made the news based both on the value of the losses as well as the fact that it happened 2 years prior.

I also went back through all their posts both prior to and since the supposed burglary their facebook as well as their website, and from what I see, there was no robbery from the business! There was no mention (which might be understandable) but more importantly, no break in posts.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/HandbagClinic/posts/?ref=page_internal

I agree something "just aint right here" and "it seems fishy to me, too."

There certainly are many question marks but my questions aren't with the company.

I checked news reports for the robbery, something that would certainly have made the news based both on the value of the losses as well as the fact that it happened 2 years prior.

I also went back through all their posts both prior to and since the supposed burglary their facebook as well as their website, and from what I see, there was no robbery from the business! There was no mention (which might be understandable) but more importantly, no break in posts.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/HandbagClinic/posts/?ref=page_internal
Are you saying its made up?

What was the date of your purchase?

What color was the bag?

Do you have pictures?

Yes I had all of these, purchase was recent enough for me to send them screenshots from my ebay account showing what I paid..

I wasn't just looking for a "yes" or "no" answer to the questions. I was hoping you'd answer the actual questions (date, color, pictures) so those who try to help might FIND THE BAG!! (There have been cases (long threads here) where stolen bags WERE found on ebay.
Someone who really wants to find a lost or stolen item would do whatever is necessary to try to find her item.

All of us who've been here more than a few years have read stories (fiction and not) and can sense when someone is evasive.

Actually I dint have pics of the code but bag was so specific and rare I would have known straight away if I saw it again. Anyway, I think bag is long gone now and I got my money back so I would not be watching ebay for it to resurface..
In your previous post, you responded to my question that you have pictures. Now you're saying you didn't have pictures? I find that hard to believe, particularly since as a TPF'er and a seller, you know both what to show and what buyers need to see.

Regarding the bag being "long gone now," i don't know why you'd think that. According to your timeframe, it's been only 5-6 weeks since the "theft" and often, thieves hold off listing stolen goods, waiting until the fire has died down.

Is the Chanel bag the same one that was posted here in September 2017?

less than what i paid for the bag few weeks earlier)

What was the date of your purchase?

What color was the bag?

Do you have pictures?

It's all in your ebay account showing your date of purchase, item number and certainly, you know the color of the bag!

Listings on ebay are shown for a minimum of 90 days following the end of the listing and sometimes, they can be viewed years later! (Yup, I can even see a Celine listing that ended on October 5, 2015. Pictures aren't viewable but the description is!)

So even if you didn't save pictures of your bag prior to sending it to Handbagclinic, the pictures in the STILL VIEWABLE listing from which you say you "purchased just a few weeks prior" to sending to them would help us in searching for your lost bag.

If I lost my item, I'd sure want other eyes to look for it.

It’s possible that they told you there was a robbery but that in truth an employee...with or without the company’s knowledge/complicity... stole some bags.
Maybe.. I think it may bave been an insoders job and they are being so quiet about it to pritect their reputation and avoid loosing potential business.

Someone who really wants to find a lost or stolen item would do whatever is necessary to try to find her item.

All of us who've been here more than a few years have read stories (fiction and not) and can sense when someone is evasive.

In your previous post, you responded to my question that you have pictures. Now you're saying you didn't have pictures? I find that hard to believe, particularly since as a TPF'er and a seller, you know both what to show and what buyers need to see.

Regarding the bag being "long gone now," i don't know why you'd think that. According to your timeframe, it's been only 5-6 weeks since the "theft" and often, thieves hold off listing stolen goods, waiting until the fire has died down.

Is the Chanel bag the same one that was posted here in September 2017?
Okay, you are trying a bit too hard here.. Firstly, chanel bag you pulled up is bag Was SOLD over a year ago, nothing to do with bag I was refering to in my post. Second - I do have pics of the stolen bag but there was no serial number in the listing. Besides that, I intentionally did not give you enough details to identify the bag in question as you would then digg up all my ebay history and would find out what my kid’s name is, what size of knickers I wear and possible all sorts of other info - you have reputation for that.
Lastly, I did not ask for help or didnt come here to find the bag - I came here for INFO from potential handbagclinic customers. I am not looking to recover the bag - I got my money back therefore if bag is ever found - its a property of the company or insurers.. I am way too busy to spend time on ebay looking for thw bag no longer belongs to me!! Would not want stolen goods back in my possession anyway.

Came here to ask for information, not for conspiracy theories ... btw, have been reading this forum for 12 years now so kinda was expecting it cheers!

Dear Client,

I am the Director of Handbag Clinic, as explained to you we did experience a robbery in our Clinic on 4th November 2018. We have provided the crime reference number to any clients who requested this. This is the first incident we have had at our Clinic during 8 years or operations and the first where clients bags that were in for repair were affected. Our Clinic had been assessed only weeks prior for insurance purposes and we were deemed as having more than suitable security. We have of course since severely increased the security in our Clinic and all premises even further since the incident.

I can assure you we have no financial or reputational benefit to be deceitful about this robbery and we are happy to answer any questions you may have, I understand you have been dealing with my most Senior Manager regarding this.

All bags brought in to us are fully insured to the current market value when the item was brought into us. This is standard for all companies carrying our repair/restoration or cleaning work. The bag brought into us was a seasonal piece several years old and was in for a full restoration, the treatment for bags which have seen the highest signs of wear. I can assure you our valuation was fair and consistent with the bag brought into us. To ensure all clients were offered the best possible option we offered to purchase you a suitable replacement, a cash offer based on the current market value of a pre owned, seasonal black flap bag with similar wear to the bag when brought in to us plus a full refund or a significantly increased offer in the form of a store voucher so that you could purchase another pre owned bag from us plus a full refund.

We have aimed to get the very best for all clients affected and as you have explained we actually slightly increased your cash offer from that provided by our insurance company as we did not want our any clients to be dissatisfied. Out of the clients affected we have had overall a really positive response to the way we have handled the issue, most commending us for the speed, efficiency and fairness of our resolution options. I apologise that you do not feel this way.

This was reported in press Local to the region as an appeal for information, we are still working with the Police and are still striving to get the bags back. We have sent images and full details of every bag to companies which buy pre owned items and auction houses, we also have a team who are searching daily online for items matching the description of the bags affected. We have full before photographs for all bags affected and happy to share these at the clients request. This has been tragic for all involved and I apologise if you feel that we did not do the best we possibly could for you, I can assure you we have.

I adore handbags and the women who have the same appreciation and I am devastated reading these posts. If anyone would like to discuss this issue further or has any questions or apprehension about the company or using our services I am happy to discuss this either via this platform or via telephone by calling 01207 279963 and requesting a call back.

Kind Regards
Charlotte Staerck
Handbag Clinic Director

Reactions: houseof999
Long story short, I purchased preowned chanel jumbo and sent it off to Handbagclinic.co.uk for full restoration (£340). Once due date for the treatment passed, I asked for an update but was being fobbed off for about 10 days. After posting questions on their social media account someone finally got back to me and said thet their warehouse got broken into and lots of bags got stolen - together with my Chanel.. to say I was gutted is an understatement ...
Anyway, they oferred me compensation (less than what i paid for the bag few weeks earlier) and I had to negotiate hard to get my ££ back - I did in the end but still got that funny feeling they did not disclose full story and something just aint right here..
So, since this is baglady’s community, please may you let me know if any of you have been in the same position as me with the above mentioned bag spa?
I tried to search news etc but nothing appears to be posted online etc. Apparently it was massive heist.. ??
Dear Client,

I have posted a comment above regarding your comments about the robbery at our Clinic but I have since looked into your claims regarding timescales and communication as this is extremely important to myself and the Company. I would like to confirm that your item was booked in on 31/10/18 and paid on 1/11/18, you were quoted an 8 week timescale due to the work required on your bag and the current queue for restoration work. I am happy to send another copy of your Order Confirmation to which you authorised prior to payment if you would like me to do so.

As a policy to ensure the queuing system is handled fairly we do not provide an exact completion date until the bag is 14 days away from its estimated timescale, unless a Senior Manager has approved an early completion date ensuring no other clients will be affected. Your bag was due to be completed on 28th December according to the 8 week timescale quoted therefore your requests for an updates on 13th, 22nd and 26th November we numerous weeks ahead of this policy. I can see from the systems that your were contacted each time a request for an update was received and that each time it was explained to you the 8 week timescale as per the system still applied. We repair over 600 domestic/public bags a month and although we will always do the best for our clients our Sales Consultants and Customer Service Staff are required to follow these policies to ensure or operations run smoothly and fair for all customers.

Please also understand we were looking into a criminal investigation and no staff other than Senior Management were aware of the bags affected. The Consultant you were speaking with to try and shorten your timescale was unaware your bag was affected but raised your numerous requests for a reduced timescale with Senior Management after your communication on 26th November which is why you were one of the first customers contacted regarding the issue on 29th November. We were unable to contact clients until we had exhausted initial investigations to retrieve the bags and had a confirmed a settlement in place from our insurance company, however you were one of the first clients contacted.

I again am saddened to see your post and the way you have represented your experience with us. I understand you have received your settlement, we have offered a 50% reduction to any services booked in in the future and have offered direct contact with Senior Management regarding any future work. We have greatly increased security as explained in my overall response to your thread and I am happy to discuss this further with anyone who has questions or apprehensions.

This isolated incident affecting a very small number of clients compared to the numerous bags repaired every month for the many years we have been in operation is just that, an isolated tragic incident. I apologise again that your bag has been affected and you have felt the resolution provided was not satisfactory for you. I have passed on the details of my responses to the Senior Manager you have been speaking with and if you do have anything else in need of cleaning or restoration work we would welcome the opportunity to show you how amazing the work we complete is.

Kind Regards
Charlotte Staerck
Handbag Clinic Director

I know I appreciate the response from @Charlotte Staerck.

After hearing her side, it sounds like Handbag Clinic handled all communications quickly, efficiently and professionally.

While I'm sure the OP was disappointed that she lost her bag, I don't see the point of bashing the business who (apparently) was a victim no less than the clients who lost items.