Handbag Review: Dooney & Bourke Verona Bionda Elisa

Lovely.Purse

Dec 11, 2016
This is a review of my Dooney and Bourke Verona Bionda Elisa in the colour wine. I received this purse as a Christmas gift, but it retails new for $298 (and was released in April 2016).

IMG_1484032514.050960.jpg

The "Elisa" handbag comes in three color-ways/leather(s): Verona, Verona Bionda, Florentine, Suede, and Ostrich. The Verona Bionda (pictured above) is a combination of smooth vachetta leather in a warm caramel color and Dooney's signature pebbled leather in wine with shiny gold tone hardware.

IMG_1484032947.240692.jpg
(Other leather and color options).

The vachetta leather has a fine grain and is very smooth. The flap which closes the bag, the bottom corners, and the cross body strap are all made of the same material. While this particular leather scratches easily and is not water resistant, it will develop a lovely patina over time with regular use. The leather, which is sturdy and and on the stiff side, lends a certain structure to the handbag that reminds me of Mulberry or Hermes.

IMG_1484033463.869708.jpg

The pebbled leather, which comprises the body of the bag, feels thick and rich. Dooney's pebbled leather is known for its durability (i.e. scratch resistance) and water resistance, and this handbag is no different in that regard (just be careful of the untreated vachetta leather). The pebbled surface is lovely to hold, but it is a softer leather than the contrasting vachetta and with regular use develops a certain slouch--not unlike the beloved Florentine Satchel.

IMG_1484033104.808587.jpg

IMG_1484033126.233147.jpg

The two leathers when paired in this fashion are a perfect match, and their contrasting color and texture make for one beautiful purse!

When you open up the bag, via the tongue and loupe hardware, you're greeted by a smooth dark green suede lining which covers the entire underside of the flap. The interior of the bag however, is covered by the traditional red twill cotton fabric which we've come to associate with D&B.

IMG_1484033154.138478.jpg

IMG_1484033180.823297.jpg

Inside, there's two small pockets, one large slip pocket, and one large zippered pocket (all trimmed in that warm caramel vegetable tanned leather). Besides the four pockets there's also a nice sturdy key catcher which is sewn to the interior. The exterior of the purse has one large slip pocket on the back with a clasp closure--perfect place to drop your phone for easy access on the go. The bag also sports four metal feet on the bottom.

IMG_1484033243.733974.jpg

IMG_1484033259.532282.jpg

Measurements (taken from D&B):
H 9.25" x W 6.5" (aka depth) x L 13.75"
Handle drop length 4.5"
Adjustable Shoulder Strap drop length 23"

Rating: 5/5

IMG_1484033332.174183.jpg

Cons: While this classic handbag is beautiful, the front flap with the tongue and loop closure makes it a bit tricky to open and close the purse. With regular use I imagine most people would become accustomed to it, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway. Unlike Mulberry's Bayswater, the front flap does not fold back on itself, when you open the purse. With regular use, I imagine the leather will become softer and more pliable, but it's just not a slouchy leather.

Final thoughts:
All in all, I think this is an amazing purse. The price is reasonable and the quality is superb. I believe that with regular maintenance and proper care, the purse will last many many years. As with any well made leather item, if you treat it well, it should last you a lifetime!

For anyone looking to add a truly classic handbag to their collection, I highly suggest you seriously consider the Elisa from Dooney and Bourke.

Thanks for reading, and let me know if you have any questions!

This is a review of my Dooney and Bourke Verona Bionda Elisa in the colour wine. I received this purse as a Christmas gift, but it retails new for $298 (and was released in April 2016).

View attachment 3570178

The "Elisa" handbag comes in three color-ways/leather(s): Verona, Verona Bionda, Florentine, Suede, and Ostrich. The Verona Bionda (pictured above) is a combination of smooth vachetta leather in a warm caramel color and Dooney's signature pebbled leather in wine with shiny gold tone hardware.

View attachment 3570179
(Other leather and color options).

The vachetta leather has a fine grain and is very smooth. The flap which closes the bag, the bottom corners, and the cross body strap are all made of the same material. While this particular leather scratches easily and is not water resistant, it will develop a lovely patina over time with regular use. The leather, which is sturdy and and on the stiff side, lends a certain structure to the handbag that reminds me of Mulberry or Hermes.

View attachment 3570189

The pebbled leather, which comprises the body of the bag, feels thick and rich. Dooney's pebbled leather is known for its durability (i.e. scratch resistance) and water resistance, and this handbag is no different in that regard (just be careful of the untreated vachetta leather). The pebbled surface is lovely to hold, but it is a softer leather than the contrasting vachetta and with regular use develops a certain slouch--not unlike the beloved Florentine Satchel.

View attachment 3570182

View attachment 3570183

The two leathers when paired in this fashion are a perfect match, and their contrasting color and texture make for one beautiful purse!

When you open up the bag, via the tongue and loupe hardware, you're greeted by a smooth dark green suede lining which covers the entire underside of the flap. The interior of the bag however, is covered by the traditional red twill cotton fabric which we've come to associate with D&B.

View attachment 3570184

View attachment 3570185

Inside, there's two small pockets, one large slip pocket, and one large zippered pocket (all trimmed in that warm caramel vegetable tanned leather). Besides the four pockets there's also a nice sturdy key catcher which is sewn to the interior. The exterior of the purse has one large slip pocket on the back with a clasp closure--perfect place to drop your phone for easy access on the go. The bag also sports four metal feet on the bottom.

View attachment 3570186

View attachment 3570187

Measurements (taken from D&B):
H 9.25" x W 6.5" (aka depth) x L 13.75"
Handle drop length 4.5"
Adjustable Shoulder Strap drop length 23"

Rating: 5/5

View attachment 3570188

Cons: While this classic handbag is beautiful, the front flap with the tongue and loop closure makes it a bit tricky to open and close the purse. With regular use I imagine most people would become accustomed to it, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway. Unlike Mulberry's Bayswater, the front flap does not fold back on itself, when you open the purse. With regular use, I imagine the leather will become softer and more pliable, but it's just not a slouchy leather.

Final thoughts:
All in all, I think this is an amazing purse. The price is reasonable and the quality is superb. I believe that with regular maintenance and proper care, the purse will last many many years. As with any well made leather item, if you treat it well, it should last you a lifetime!

For anyone looking to add a truly classic handbag to their collection, I highly suggest you seriously consider the Elisa from Dooney and Bourke.

Thanks for reading, and let me know if you have any questions!
LP: great review. I've always loved looking at this style and I hope you enjoy using
yours. The only reason I haven't bought one yet :smile: is the flap top and closure... I was afraid they would drive me crazy. Post again after you have used the handbag for a while and let us know how your experience.

Great review LP! I have two of these, one from the regular collection in pebbled leather and one in suede. It think these are gorgeous but the flap is a bit of a pain. It's not a deal breaker though.
Your wine bag is beautiful and I'm glad you're enjoying it. You should make YouTube videos [emoji4]
Thanks for sharing!

I think this bag is gorgeous in so many colors. My faves have been the first three from the left in the multi-image you included - I couldn't even begin to decide between the three, I'd "have" to buy all of them, lol! Your bag is really beautiful, enjoy!