Handbag Raincoat

Dec 12, 2006
Does anyone have and use the Handbag Raincoat? I was recently in The Container Store and saw this cute little thing - I almost bought it, but then I had second thoughts. Basically, I questioned whether or not I would really get any use out of it. I LOVE the idea, but just not sure if I'm the right one to execute the idea. Thoughts?

**I'm in NO WAY affiliated with Handbag Raincoat or The Container Store.

Reactions: papertiger
Does anyone have and use the Handbag Raincoat? I was recently in The Container Store and saw this cute little thing - I almost bought it, but then I had second thoughts. Basically, I questioned whether or not I would really get any use out of it. I LOVE the idea, but just not sure if I'm the right one to execute the idea. Thoughts?

As much as I love my bags I find the idea of the raincoat a tad precious. Just my opinion!

Reactions: ladysarah

I like the look of them.
The problem I see would be where to put the wet raincoat when it stops raining or when I go indoors (shop/restaurant )...

I keep a reusable bag in my purse big enough to cover the bag in case it rains...or take an umbrella. Seems rather wasteful to have a separate raincoat for your bag.

I do this too. I think if someone uses the same bag almost every day or a similar size/stye it's kind of the same thing. So long as they use it and it's useful, otherwise I agree with you.

The other problem with the raincoat is not only are the handles getting wet but the rain can rundown them. The worst thing for bags it not so much just getting uniformly wet but the droplets that accumulate. What gets under the raincoat is going to be a problem.

It's raining today so I'm feeling PO at the weather because I had my outfit planned.

I have a handbag raincoat! I got it when I lived in London and used to commute to work as I had to walk to/from the tube station and my office every day and often I got caught in the rain and my bags got soaked. It was useful at the time but now I don't live in London anymore I don't use it as I don't commute. I've also changed my handbag style as I used to use the raincoat for my open top totes (e.g. Chanel GST) or handheld bags but I tend to use smaller cross body bags now.

When I got to work or home I would just carefully take it off my bag and leave it somewhere to dry like you would with an umbrella. I'd say it's useful if you own open top bags and live in a rainy area

Reactions: Fancyfree
I do this too. I think if someone uses the same bag almost every day or a similar size/stye it's kind of the same thing. So long as they use it and it's useful, otherwise I agree with you.

The other problem with the raincoat is not only are the handles getting wet but the rain can rundown them. The worst thing for bags it not so much just getting uniformly wet but the droplets that accumulate. What gets under the raincoat is going to be a problem.

It's raining today so I'm feeling PO at the weather because I had my outfit planned.
YES! Thats why I dont understood the appeal of a raincoat for the bags. I have a reusable that is big enough to fit any of my purses and has handles. Hands free is perfect for holding an umbrella and opening doors.

Similar to this that can be made into a tiny pouch. (not affiliated with this company in any way just love their reusable bags)
https://baggu.com/collections/reusable-bags/products/upcycled-baggu-white-sail