Handbag lover that can't love this Cholé

Vivasm

Dec 14, 2013
Hi,
I'm new to tpf and this is my first topic post. A couple of days ago I traded a few items to try something new. The Chloé Marcie large bag in lizard. It has all the tags, authenticity card, holograms both match, dust bag, care booklet, everything is fabulous. With one exception. She bought it at one of those last chance sales and as you know they take that black marker and go right through where it says Chloé on the tag inside. I, as a meticulous vintage restorer pulled out my magic trick bag and managed to lift most of the marker off of it. Here's my problem, I thought I would try something different then my usual vintage Louis, Gucci and Chanel and this bag does not fit my style at all. Now I don't know what to do with it. I know it's sold out everywhere, but with the marker blemish is it even worth value anymore? I know I am going to take a loss with this, but I'm on day two of looking at this fantastic bag and I absolutely can't stand it. Would anyone know the best route to get rid of it? I don't have an eBay account, so that's out. I am a member of another resale sight but I just don't know what to do with it to recoup some of my losses to a bag that I really love. This is not a for sale post, just looking for advice on what I can do with it. I'll post some pics, it's truly magnificent. But it's out of my comfort zone and I'm sure somebody would appreciate it more than just to sit in my closet. Here are some pics. Am I crazy?? ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956229.220771.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956241.065882.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956310.730561.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956325.258053.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956357.550603.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956391.160324.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956412.777781.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956452.902707.jpg

Thanks for any help of what I can do with this beautiful bag that I can't bare to look at anymoreImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956523.291358.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406956548.587273.jpg

Try consigning with Fashionphile.com or Yoogi's or Ann's Fabulous Finds. You'll get knocked off here pretty quick if you try to sell it here, as that is strictly forbidden.

Try consigning with Fashionphile.com or Yoogi's or Ann's Fabulous Finds. You'll get knocked off here pretty quick if you try to sell it here, as that is strictly forbidden.

I'm not trying to sell it at all. Just showing it to show that I might be a little off wanting to let go of such a beauty. But I'll try those sites you mentioned. I know you can't sell it on here, I'm just way out of my comfort zone with this brand and have no idea what I should do with it besides stash it in my closet for thirty years. 😳

So, long story short. I found a girl who had the Marcie lizard print and I traded her my never even touched manhattan pm and koala wallet for it. When I got it it has a black marker strike through where it says Chloe. Everything else is there. I stepped outside of my safe place Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Chanel and yes I got a never worn bag, yes it's beautiful, yes it has everything it should and is authentic...and yes it's sold out everywhere. It's day two with it and havnt touched it. I don't know what to do with it. I absolutely don't want it. My sister thinks I'm crazy because it's gorgeous. I also used my restoration bag if tricks to remove the evil marker mans strike through... Ugh what to do with this beautiful monster I now have on my hands. I hav no clue how to even begin to find it a home that loves it.anyways, here's some pics. Tell me I'm nutty. It's just not a fit for me. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1406963255.959207.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406963277.630046.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406963298.345269.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406963312.139281.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1406963329.304601.jpg

This is a beautiful bag - you said in another thread that you don't like it because of the strike through on the tag (which I cannot see in the photos)? If the bag doesn't suit your needs or your style, then it is worth selling. But if you don't like it simply because it had a mark inside where no one would see it but you, then you should give this gorgeous bag a try. Take it out one day. You will be selling it pre-pre-preowned anyway, so why not try out the shape?

Or, you could trade it again?

Last edited:
This is a beautiful bag - you said in another thread that you don't like it because of the strike through on the tag (which I cannot see in the photos)? If the bag doesn't suit your needs or your style, then it is worth selling. But if you don't like it simply because it had a mark inside where no one would see it but you, then you should give this gorgeous bag a try. Take it out one day. You will be selling it pre-pre-preowned anyway, so why not try out the shape?

Or, you could trade it again?

I totally agree. Personally I haveńt seen anything strange in the pics.
The Chloé is a gorgeous bag. The leather is indestructible.Give it a chance before selling it....

Personally I love the bag. The neutral colors can work with just about everything. But if you're not loving it already then maybe it is time to find her a new home. Good luck with your decision.

Whenever someone buys an expensive bag (or expensive anything, for that matter) that is completely out of their comfort zone and style, I have to wonder what is going on in their life that has caused them to do that. Not that there's anything wrong with trying new styles, but OP, your reaction to this bag upon receiving it is so strong, I wonder why you bought it in the first place. Are you regretting letting go of the bag(s) you traded to get it? Does it look very different from what you expected? Yes, there is a little mark on the inside tag, but if you were planning on using the bag, that shouldn't be a big deal. I agree with those who said, why not take it out a few times and see how you feel about it -- after all, you said you're trying to expand your comfort zone so why not wear it? Maybe you'll remember what attracted you to the bag in the first place, or maybe you'll just get closer to what it is you're really looking for. But before you sell it, I think a little soul-searching might be in order!

Whenever someone buys an expensive bag (or expensive anything, for that matter) that is completely out of their comfort zone and style, I have to wonder what is going on in their life that has caused them to do that. Not that there's anything wrong with trying new styles, but OP, your reaction to this bag upon receiving it is so strong, I wonder why you bought it in the first place. Are you regretting letting go of the bag(s) you traded to get it? Does it look very different from what you expected? Yes, there is a little mark on the inside tag, but if you were planning on using the bag, that shouldn't be a big deal. I agree with those who said, why not take it out a few times and see how you feel about it -- after all, you said you're trying to expand your comfort zone so why not wear it? Maybe you'll remember what attracted you to the bag in the first place, or maybe you'll just get closer to what it is you're really looking for. But before you sell it, I think a little soul-searching might be in order!

Funny you should say that. In my life nothing is a sure thing. I have stage 4 sarcoma and it has metastasized to my brain. So right now I'm having chemo treatments. I traded those items because I thought I wouldn't have the chance to yet, instead I should've left them to my daughter. I guess I'm kicking myself more for that. Plus I don't know anything about Chloe. If something should happen to me, my husband could sell half my handbags and live well for a few months. I've been a collector since I was very young. I have some vintage pieces that are worth a lot of money. I guess what I should've asked was how would this strike through effect the resale and does Chloe hold it's value like Louis or Chanel?

F

Funny you should say that. In my life nothing is a sure thing. I have stage 4 sarcoma and it has metastasized to my brain. So right now I'm having chemo treatments. I traded those items because I thought I wouldn't have the chance to yet, instead I should've left them to my daughter. I guess I'm kicking myself more for that. Plus I don't know anything about Chloe. If something should happen to me, my husband could sell half my handbags and live well for a few months. I've been a collector since I was very young. I have some vintage pieces that are worth a lot of money. I guess what I should've asked was how would this strike through effect the resale and does Chloe hold it's value like Louis or Chanel?

F

I am so sorry to hear that! You are right that nothing in life is a sure thing, but you have a very unfortunate reminder of that right now. I do hope the chemo works!

re. the handbag dilemma, I don't think Chloe holds its value the way LV and Chanel do, although this particular bag is rare enough that it might. I am no expert in resale value, so hopefully others will chime in on this.

Personally, putting resale aside for a minute, if I were your daughter I might value the bags you used and loved more than the ones that simply have monetary value. I appreciate what you're saying about your DH being able to live for a while off of selling your collection. But from a purely emotional standpoint, if you love the bag, use it and hand it down to your daughter as something you just simply loved. She will feel like she's getting a piece of you, and that has a whole different sort of value.

Hopefully, that won't happen for a very long time! Very best wishes and hopes to you.

Yes, my life is a roller coaster ride, and like Carrie Bradshaw says "I like my money in my closet, where I can see it" I know it's a rare bag. I know there is a waiting list for it, but that's about all I know. Maybe I should get the cliff notes on the history of Chloe and if this bag was worth the trade that I made. I basically just traded $2000 retail worth of never worn never used been in my closet a few year Louis Vuitton manhattan pm and wallet. And for all the "I'm sorry you don't like it, I feel ill about it"I'm getting from the lady I traded with I can guarantee I'm not going to be getting those things back. We traded. Done deal. If she would've disclosed that stupid marker through the heat seal I wouldn't have done it. But that's neither here nor there. I'm just looking for the future. All I know about Chloe is the paddington. I know how much they were when they came out and what they're worth now. Is this trade going to end up biting me in the butt if I can't get anything out of it. I'm not even sure what it's worth due to the blemish on the heat stamp that I almost totally removed myself. I guess I should post a picture of that too. I'm used to my jeans, nice basic blouse or t shirt, some flats and my monograms. Those I love. I love a lot of things that are very dear to me. I have a ton of jewelry that has been passed down. I mean honestly, my prized possessions are some cabbage patch dolls I played with as a child (I'm 34) she loves them. Life isn't certain, at least it isn't for me right now. I mean, so far physically, it's hard. I can't do a lot of things because I don't have the strength from treatment and previous conditions that are complicating the matter. But I first had this in 04', went into remission in 08' and then started feeling bad last November. I know and hope and pray that if remission happened before it will again.

But back to the bag. I would like to know the value. It has zero signs of use. The only thing is that darn strike through that has me thinking it's killed for a resale now. But I don't know. I'll post a picture of what it looks like in a minute.
I am so sorry to hear that! You are right that nothing in life is a sure thing, but you have a very unfortunate reminder of that right now. I do hope the chemo works!

re. the handbag dilemma, I don't think Chloe holds its value the way LV and Chanel do, although this particular bag is rare enough that it might. I am no expert in resale value, so hopefully others will chime in on this.

Personally, putting resale aside for a minute, if I were your daughter I might value the bags you used and loved more than the ones that simply have monetary value. I appreciate what you're saying about your DH being able to live for a while off of selling your collection. But from a purely emotional standpoint, if you love the bag, use it and hand it down to your daughter as something you just simply loved. She will feel like she's getting a piece of you, and that has a whole different sort of value.

Hopefully, that won't happen for a very long time! Very best wishes and hopes to you.

Personally I love the bag. The neutral colors can work with just about everything. But if you're not loving it already then maybe it is time to find her a new home. Good luck with your decision.

I'm a total Chloe newbie. What do you think the value of this would be. I know what the value of what I traded for is and I'm thinking I got the raw end of the deal. But you can't cry over spilled milk. I just like my monograms, my flats, jeans and a blouse. I thought I would take a dice roll. But I think I just hit craps on this. Do you know a lot about this purse at all? I've just learned Chloe doesn't hold it's value like Louis Vuitton or Chanel, but since this is a rare model do you think it could be an exception?

First and foremost I'm sorry to hear about the Sarcoma. But, it is beatable! One of my best friends fought off Sarcoma, he's been in remission 5+ years and even has fathered two miracle babies after his doctors said that he would never have children after chemo. Keep fighting the good fight ❤️

As for your purse....I agree that Chloe doesn't hold it's value as well as LV or Chanel but you can definitely recoup some of the loss if you try online consignment like Yoogis or Fashionphile. Maybe poke around some of those sites to see what other similar bags are selling for & that will give you a ballpark value? You could also try selling yourself on a site like eBay & get more $ back than consignment to put back into a purse than is more you.

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much! I always love to hear about survivors. I had it from 04'-08' and had a beautiful daughter that said would never happen. But it did. I love her so. I started to feel ill again in November and then I found out not only was I out of remission but it had metastasized to my brain. I've had two surgeries and this is my second round of chemo and my oncologist says everything is looking well, nothing growing and what was there seems to be responding to treatment. So I thank god for that. In reality I have way bigger things to worry about then a purse.

Here is my question though, I'm a total Chloé newbie and I got this Marcie lizard because it was rare and different, which I like. Now I am finding out there is a waiting list for this bag as it is sold out. So I'm assuming you've read what I traded for as far as how much I have in it, where do you think I could get the most out of it. And considering it has the marker through the Chloe label, which I have removed, but you can still tell there is something there. I just don't know how much it would be worth, it's totally intact and gorgeous. Just not my thing. I liked it more in the picture. But I know there are some Chloe fans that would look for something like this. So in short, I'm just trying to recoup losses to find for something I really do like.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice.
First and foremost I'm sorry to hear about the Sarcoma. But, it is beatable! One of my best friends fought off Sarcoma, he's been in remission 5+ years and even has fathered two miracle babies after his doctors said that he would never have children after chemo. Keep fighting the good fight ❤️

As for your purse....I agree that Chloe doesn't hold it's value as well as LV or Chanel but you can definitely recoup some of the loss if you try online consignment like Yoogis or Fashionphile. Maybe poke around some of those sites to see what other similar bags are selling for & that will give you a ballpark value? You could also try selling yourself on a site like eBay & get more $ back than consignment to put back into a purse than is more you.

Good luck!!!