Handbag Ethics Question?

I agree with above! It is completely different situation with the ebay seller selling a known fake bag and advertising it as real and then trying to make a profit out of fooling buyers that are looking to buy a authentic designer bag. The charity is just providing a means for a poor person to obtain a cheap functional bag and the charity to raise money. No one is trying to make an easy buck at the expense of someone else. I agree that I truly doubt the new buyer even has any idea it is a fake designer - its just a cheap bag to hold their stuff.

Ethical and handbag in the same sentence? I dislike fakes and don't buy them but not ALL fake handbags are being made be terrorists! Taht's jsut the PR spin the designer labels put out there to make you feel bad about buying counterfeit items.

I have toured many a fake factory plants in China and I can tell you those people work in bad conditions, they work eat and sleep in the factories. I have seen plants where they make fake albeite "real" designer watches. They are paid for their work but not much. NEVER BUY counterfeit items for that reason.

Since you bought it and did not know it was fake I see no harm in donating it someone else will love it and use it! That saves another tree.

I wouldn't carry it. I would give it to the Salvation Army, which I have done with all of my fake bags. If the people shopping there can't tell the difference, that's not my problem.

I wouldn't carry it. I would give it to the Salvation Army, which I have done with all of my fake bags. If the people shopping there can't tell the difference, that's not my problem.

Okay -to me-that's just a crazy statement. I don't mind the donating, but let's make sure it's known that it's fake. I have seen places like S.A. place "higher end" bags in display cases to sell at higher prices than their less "high end" bags. And I would not want someone buying a fake that they thought was real with the notion that there were getting a real bag at a reduced price and helping a charity out. Maybe I'm crazy, but I believe in the golden rule and for me if I knew something that would prevent someone from getting a bad deal, I would let them know.

Heather, I think you did a good thing if you can't stand it sitting in your closet (personally I would have used it for a storage device, #2 choice give it away). You did a lot of thinking on this and chose the lesser of two evils.

I think it's terrible that you got scammed on eBay, but I don't really understand why you would then want to potentially perpetrate the fraud on someone else. I'd be furious if I bought a bag on eBay that turned out to be a fake and was unable to get any redress, but that thing would go in the trash. I wouldn't want someone else to buy it, thinking it's real.

Just because someone is using GW or another type of charity or second-hand shop, doesn't mean they are ill-informed. I used to work at a women's shelter for victims of domestic violence. Some of the donations we received were beyond description. I didn't know if the people donating were doing it out of compassion, to get a tax credit or to clean out their closets. Some people truly made worthwhile donations--from the heart. Others, such dreck you wouldn't believe. I would never let the women see this stuff. We finally accepted no more personal donations and worked with a shop that weeded out the things that no one could--or should--use. Not everyone knows how to identify a fake bag. If we do, we should do the charity or organization a favor and not offer it to them in the first place. I think we should show some respect for the people who will ultimately receive our donations.

However, it sounds like from the description from the OP, the bag is in almost new condition. It might be a fake, which is offensive to some, but to someone else, it is just a functional bag for a good price. It isn't as if she is donating dirty, ratty underwear. If the purse is still in great condition and a pretty purse to those that are blind to labels, it is so wasteful just to toss it! And it isnt as if the charity will be trying to sell it as an authentic purse to try to trick someone else.

Also; believe me, if someone can't tell a purse is a fake Fendi spy, they can't tell its a Fendi spy at all.

However, it sounds like from the description from the OP, the bag is in almost new condition. It might be a fake, which is offensive to some, but to someone else, it is just a functional bag for a good price. It isn't as if she is donating dirty, ratty underwear. If the purse is still in great condition and a pretty purse to those that are blind to labels, it is so wasteful just to toss it! And it isnt as if the charity will be trying to sell it as an authentic purse to try to trick someone else.

Also; believe me, if someone can't tell a purse is a fake Fendi spy, they can't tell its a Fendi spy at all.
Good point! I think I'll get off that soapbox now:shame:

This was pretty much my aim in donating the bag. Thanks for seeing that. What's done is done - ie obtaining my fake bag in error.

Although this Oxfam outlet tries to keep its prices low, it does not sell dirty or disgusting items of the sort another poster mentioned. I DO hope this was just a general comment and not a slur on charity shops that happen to be in poor areas, or anywhere else.

Just because someone is using GW or another type of charity or second-hand shop, doesn't mean they are ill-informed. I used to work at a women's shelter for victims of domestic violence. Some of the donations we received were beyond description. I didn't know if the people donating were doing it out of compassion, to get a tax credit or to clean out their closets. Some people truly made worthwhile donations--from the heart. Others, such dreck you wouldn't believe. I would never let the women see this stuff. We finally accepted no more personal donations and worked with a shop that weeded out the things that no one could--or should--use. Not everyone knows how to identify a fake bag. If we do, we should do the charity or organization a favor and not offer it to them in the first place. I think we should show some respect for the people who will ultimately receive our donations.

I really fail to see where disrespect for people comes into this at all. The bag was in practically new condition. It was not at all on a par with dirty, unuseable items. I have no intention of pushing my own views on fake items down other people's throats. I'd say that when the workers at the charity shop saw this bag, they were happy to place an attractive-looking item in the window. Charity shops often place eye-catching items on prominent display, for obvious reasons. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the workers purchased the bag herself. 'Weeding' takes many forms!

the only place i have ever bought a fake purse was NYC, i was there visiting for a couple days and me and my friends thought it would be cool to just have a souvenir from there.. but i have never really used it though

I had purchased what I thought was an authentic chanel wallet on ebay. I was so proud when I got it, even though it smelled like men's cologne.

It was not until I came on the purseforum did I see that the wallet was fake (the 'authencity number was the mass produced one)

so what did I do? I went and purchased a REAL wallet from a reputable store (Gucci at Neiman Marcus).

then with the FHANEL wallet, I grabbed a pair of sissors, and yep shredded it!

I dont not tolerate carrying fakes and I dont want anyone to get hold of such an awful wallet. especially when it has the name of another company (fraud)