Handbag Display

ItsKindaCrazy

Mar 2, 2018
Hi all! I would like your insights. I converted a spare bedroom into a walk-in closet / getting ready room. There is a large portion of one wall where I put Ikea shelving to store my handbags & some shoes. I feel like it looks cheap, though. I'm also not the best at space design. I am limited as to how much I can do because I rent. I can hang some things on the walls (nail & drill), but I cannot have lighting hardwired. Can someone please suggest to me how they would make this Ikea shelving look nicer? I am also open to any tips on re-arranging or re-designing my handbags & shoes.

Also, is there a specific modular unit anyone has purchased for their handbags & shoes that they recommend (i.e., California Closets)? I really appreciate any insights or advice.:smile::heart:

KJ
0.jpeg

Reactions: IntheOcean
Can you get doors for this type of shelves? If you can, you could get doors that have glass on the top half and attach a small led cable to the inside of the door. You can put your favorite bags or shoes on display behind the glass and hide the rest on the bottom shelves behind the solid part of the door.

The white Lack shelves are great if you want to put a few of your bags on display. I know a person that has done this in their living room. If you spend a lot of money on wearable art, why not share it with your friends and family?
This one can fit a pair of pumps or a bag nicely A674487B-7AAA-425D-9D14-A98C0ADD25F0.jpeg

And with this unit, you can have several things on show - maybe a pretty vase with flowers or a nice picture, some sunnies, a couple of bags, wallets, scarves, and your favorite pumps or ankle boots!
26075A1F-20A7-440C-93E7-2B86B2305233.jpeg
LED cables are an easy way of getting lights where you want them, whether on the shelving you have in your walk-in closet or on your open art show.

Can you get doors for this type of shelves? If you can, you could get doors that have glass on the top half and attach a small led cable to the inside of the door. You can put your favorite bags or shoes on display behind the glass and hide the rest on the bottom shelves behind the solid part of the door.

The white Lack shelves are great if you want to put a few of your bags on display. I know a person that has done this in their living room. If you spend a lot of money on wearable art, why not share it with your friends and family?
This one can fit a pair of pumps or a bag nicely View attachment 4821876

And with this unit, you can have several things on show - maybe a pretty vase with flowers or a nice picture, some sunnies, a couple of bags, wallets, scarves, and your favorite pumps or ankle boots!
View attachment 4821878
LED cables are an easy way of getting lights where you want them, whether on the shelving you have in your walk-in closet or on your open art show.
Thank you!!

Reactions: Shelby33
Hi all! I would like your insights. I converted a spare bedroom into a walk-in closet / getting ready room. There is a large portion of one wall where I put Ikea shelving to store my handbags & some shoes. I feel like it looks cheap, though. I'm also not the best at space design. I am limited as to how much I can do because I rent. I can hang some things on the walls (nail & drill), but I cannot have lighting hardwired. Can someone please suggest to me how they would make this Ikea shelving look nicer? I am also open to any tips on re-arranging or re-designing my handbags & shoes.

Also, is there a specific modular unit anyone has purchased for their handbags & shoes that they recommend (i.e., California Closets)? I really appreciate any insights or advice.:smile::heart:

KJ
View attachment 4821643
Very nice and I love the GIF

Reactions: ItsKindaCrazy
I think you have a nice set up. I’d just rearrange a bit so it’s more soothing to look at. You've got bits of color that seem disruptive.

Re the shoes: I’m not loving the shoes with the bags look. It looks a bit forced. So I’d remove the shoes and pair them up with others on your shoe shelves. I would also organize your shoes by color. Instead of the shoes being placed with the side showing, go heel/toe. This will create a more harmonious flow.

Now, for the bags. First, arrange by color. I’d play around with two bags to a shelf (same color family) and then one bag on a shelf. It’s ok to have an empty shelf where you could then put a photo and a personal Knick knack. Then reserve a shelf for your small bags/clutches and arrange by color. For paired bags try side by side, or face forward but offset. You could also angle them for visual interest. If it seems contrived, then just have them face outward.

I think the idea is to merchandise your space so you love looking at your things. What a fun project! I love playing around with my closet and remerchandising my things.

I think you have a nice set up. I’d just rearrange a bit so it’s more soothing to look at. You've got bits of color that seem disruptive.

Re the shoes: I’m not loving the shoes with the bags look. It looks a bit forced. So I’d remove the shoes and pair them up with others on your shoe shelves. I would also organize your shoes by color. Instead of the shoes being placed with the side showing, go heel/toe. This will create a more harmonious flow.

Now, for the bags. First, arrange by color. I’d play around with two bags to a shelf (same color family) and then one bag on a shelf. It’s ok to have an empty shelf where you could then put a photo and a personal Knick knack. Then reserve a shelf for your small bags/clutches and arrange by color. For paired bags try side by side, or face forward but offset. You could also angle them for visual interest. If it seems contrived, then just have them face outward.

I think the idea is to merchandise your space so you love looking at your things. What a fun project! I love playing around with my closet and remerchandising my things.
Thank you! I agree, it looks disruptive. I don't have that knack so many naturally have so I really appreciate the insights! :smile:

Great idea with the wallpaper! It really adds to it. Silly question--is that removable wallpaper or regular wallpaper? Was it easy to do?
It was pretty easy...but I had help from one of my DH's friends. :rolleyes: It's regular wallpaper but to be honest, I don't think it would make a difference if it was removable. There's no way to take it off without causing damage to the back of the shelf since it's cardboard and not wood. BUT if you decide to do it, come back and show us. I'd love to see!! :smile: