Handbag 'Alterations'

1. Like many bag lovers...I have bags stashed in my closet that I haven't used in a while for one reason or another. Bored with what I've been carrying (and not having made a successful new purchase), I was rummaging through my closet and pulled out a couple of bags that saw regular duty a few years back. I had one all loaded with my stuff when I realized I was really annoyed the length of the straps.
    I am intending to take these in somewhere to see about getting the straps shortened (perhaps Nordstroms if they still do it, as that is where I bought the bags). I think it would be worth it as they are good quality bags (HCL..very popular here a few years back and retailing at that time in the $300-500 range). BUT....I'm wondering if anyone here has ever done such a thing with any of your bags and what your experience was. I know once they are shortened, there's no turning back! The only other work I've ever had done on a bag was having one re-lined. It was also an HCL (yeah..I bought a lot of them back then!) and Nordstrom sent it off to Germany and it came back with a pristine new lining and all polished up and looking fab. :biggrin:

Thank you, ladies!

2. I'm sure a quality leather repair place could help you with the shortening/lengthing option. I don't know if you're in CA, but there's a great place in Orange County, Factotum that a lot of stores like Nordstrom send their repairs out to. The people there are helpful and they have several locations throughout Orange County. their number is 1-877-322-8688.

3. Good to know! :biggrin:

I have a drawstring Ghurka with a really long strap. I would love to have it shortened so I could utilize the bag.

4. A couple of months ago I saw a vintage HCL bag being carried and it still looked great!!

Do u know of any dept. stores still carry them on the West Coast?

5. I've altered my bags... since I can make bags and have a sewing machine and rivet machine... I can alter a few things. Flat handles are easy to shorten... rolled satchel handles will be a mess and are better left alone.

6. The last I knew of was Nordstrom (where I had always purchased mine) but I haven't seen them there in some time. I heard somewhere that the line is no longer available in the states.

The bags age gracefully. Mine still look great. There is only one I haven't really used. It was a drawstring style that just didn't work for me and I never got around to returning it. But all my others have been well loved and still look great.

You can find them readily on Ebay. I picked up one there once in a color I'd never had. I got it for less than $50 because it was definitely used but still had a lot of life left in it, and I get compliments whenever I carry it. You might want to give that a whirl.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice