Hand rearing baby Sparrows

BagAngel

Louis Vuitton Addict
O.G.
Oct 30, 2006
So yesterday someone brought two nests to our house. They had taken down guttering to replace & found the two nests. Absolutely amazing nests & I felt so sorry for the poor mammy birds that had lovingly made these & were now furiously looking for their babies :sad:

Anyway we are now hand rearing these birds under a lamp, with special food from a syringe. You can see the nest of 5 have some feathers & are a lot more lively then the 4 younger ones that are still naked & I really don't think will do well but we will try our best.

Here are some pics, hopefully they will survive & I will be able to post their progress in pics.

Sparrows 001 (Small).jpg

Sparrows 002 (Small).jpg

Sparrows 003 (Small).jpg

This happened to us 7 years ago. We found a baby sparrow on our front porch... she had no feathers. We left her there for a few hours praying the mom would come back for her... but she never did. We took her in our garage and hand fed her. She is now 7 years old... and we keep her as a "pet." If you need any advice on what to feed... let me know. You're a great person for taking care of them!

Oh Prettyinpink, I am so glad that your Sparrow survived. We are giving "Kyatee Exact Hand Feeding formula for all baby Birds" Would be very interested to know what you did, obviously it worked :smile:

Sure will keep you posted LVPradafanatic :smile:

We did a mixture of baby food. Mostly beef. And fed her with an oral syringe. She still gets a little of the baby food mixture everyday. She's very healthy and very happy! But, she DEFINITELY prefers my mom over me. lol

This happened to us 7 years ago. We found a baby sparrow on our front porch... she had no feathers. We left her there for a few hours praying the mom would come back for her... but she never did. We took her in our garage and hand fed her. She is now 7 years old... and we keep her as a "pet." If you need any advice on what to feed... let me know. You're a great person for taking care of them!

I love success stories like this!!!:woohoo:

This is amazing!! This is hard work, no kidding. So great of you to be so committed to helping these little ones.

As a side note, we had tree guys show up to do our entire yard, cut things back and I told them I thought there were at least one dove and one other bird nest, and yep, so they cut around everything and kept their distance so the mothers did not abandon the nests. All is fine, moms are on their nests now.

Ok, sorry back to OP...

We did a mixture of baby food. Mostly beef. And fed her with an oral syringe. She still gets a little of the baby food mixture everyday. She's very healthy and very happy! But, she DEFINITELY prefers my mom over me. lol

Yes last night when they arrived all we had was baby food that we feed to some other animals but today we got the special food. So brilliant that your sparrow is still with you!

My DS hand reared a Jackdaw once! He was unreal, used to follow the kids to school & tap on the classroom windows, they got into so much trouble :roflmfao: One night after several years here, there were fireworks near my home & he obviously got scared & flew off, we were heartbroken! I still shout "Jack" when i see one but I am sure he is dead by now :sad: He was such a pet!

This is amazing!! This is hard work, no kidding. So great of you to be so committed to helping these little ones.

As a side note, we had tree guys show up to do our entire yard, cut things back and I told them I thought there were at least one dove and one other bird nest, and yep, so they cut around everything and kept their distance so the mothers did not abandon the nests. All is fine, moms are on their nests now.

Ok, sorry back to OP...

That's great Irish, I was a bit mad that these people couldn't have replaced the nests & waited a few weeks to redo the guttering but whatever!