Hamilton question

MJ8798

Nov 24, 2012
Those of you with the hamilton bags, do you ever undo the lock and make the opening bigger? I'm looking at a used one but the key doesn't come with it......idk, it's the exact bag I've been looking for but with no key (the lock is on the bag) don't know if I wanna pass on the bag cause of a key, or just go ahead and buy it without the key.

I think it doesn't look good on the hamilton without the lock. if you loosen it you can't have the lock on. Depending upon the price (it would have to be very low) the key may not be a necessity, its really your call. If the bag is anymore than $150 I probably wouldn't get because you can find one for that price or just a bit more with the lock and key. Good luck

The only time I remove the lock is when I put my Hamiltons in their dustbag for storage so the weight of the lock doesn't pull the leather down.

In regards to size, I feel the bag is large enough as it is. If I was to remove the lock during use I would probably be scared of loosing it.

I always left the lock on my NS Hamiltons unless they were going to be stored. Go into a MK boutique and ask a SA if they would be able to order you a spare key...I've always found them to be friendly and accommodating in these situations (LV could take a lesson lol)

I haven't tried carrying my n/s Hamilton totes without the lock yet, but I did experiment with taking off the lock and expanding the bag. When I took off the lock and unhooked the belt, I just replaced the lock on the bare hook and then pulled the bag open as far as I could. If I ever need to carry it this way, I most certainly will be carrying it by the short handles as a tote. Therefore, I tried nesting the loose belt ends under the upright short handles and the short handles seemed to hold the loose belt ends in place pretty well.

I would suggest getting a replacement key if you can. You can call MK directly for a replacement if your bag is still in warranty. I've already ordered extra locks for both of my n/s Hamilton totes, one in gold and one in silver.

Going to Michaelkors.com and calling or emailing about a lock and/or key does work even if you are out of warranty. I got my first hamilton from TJMaxx without a lock, and the lady asked for the serial # in the purse and stated it was out of warranty but would still send me a lock and key. I would suggest trying that and if the first person doesn't work try someone else, they have very good customer service, but they will verify its a legitimate MK which is only right.

Thanks you ladies for your input and advice. I decided to go ahead and meet the person selling it and to my surprise the key WAS there and she didn't even know it. I double checked to see if it really was authentic and it is. So I went ahead and got it. For only $100!!! loving my new hamilton bag with the silver hardware : )

Thanks you ladies for your input and advice. I decided to go ahead and meet the person selling it and to my surprise the key WAS there and she didn't even know it. I double checked to see if it really was authentic and it is. So I went ahead and got it. For only $100!!! loving my new hamilton bag with the silver hardware : )

OMG, what a great deal!!!!! Please post pictures when you get a chance.