Half plastic, half cloth dustbags

snoflinga

wool collector
Jan 18, 2014
I recently bought some plastic dustbags that have a fabric back. I've attached a pic from the internet that look similar.

My question is do you guys think these are these safe for leather bags? The back is breathable material but the front and sides are clear plastic so I can see my bags even though they're being stored on my shelf. I store my bags standing upright, stuffed with cotton, in cotton dustbags/pillowcases right now so they're in perfect condition right now, but I can't see them :sad:

Anyone else use these?

Capture.PNG

I recently bought some plastic dustbags that have a fabric back. I've attached a pic from the internet that look similar.

My question is do you guys think these are these safe for leather bags? The back is breathable material but the front and sides are clear plastic so I can see my bags even though they're being stored on my shelf. I store my bags standing upright, stuffed with cotton, in cotton dustbags/pillowcases right now so they're in perfect condition right now, but I can't see them :sad:

Anyone else use these?

View attachment 4822278
What is that back ‘breathable’ material made out of?

You should be OK ... this is a great idea, actually. What is the brand that you bought?

Not for me. I can tell which bag is what from the dust bags and I don't want to buy any more plastic than I have to,

So long as the front panels are breathable and air can circulate you should be OK. Don't forget light can damage leather too so store away from the window or any direct light.

What is that back ‘breathable’ material made out of?

You should be OK ... this is a great idea, actually. What is the brand that you bought?

The back feels like rough canvas and has little perforations where you can see light.

There's no brand name on them, bought them on Amazon. If you search Amazon for "transparent dust bags for handbags" the listings come up, I think they're all made by the same company just sold by different sellers.

Reactions: indiaink
Not for me. I can tell which bag is what from the dust bags and I don't want to buy any more plastic than I have to,

So long as the front panels are breathable and air can circulate you should be OK. Don't forget light can damage leather too so store away from the window or any direct light.

I hear you regarding extra plastic, I bought a few just for my special bags so I can see them smiling at me instead of them sitting on my shelf unloved :smile: Most of my bags will stay in the cotton dustbags and pillowcases they came with.

Reactions: papertiger
A tip from garment conservators is to store things in breathable, acid-free material. Usually they use acid-free paper boxes and acid-free tissue. I'm guessing your bags are not that old so you may not have to be that careful, but it's something to keep in mind down the line.

These look like a great innovation!

This may be completely off but I’d worry about the chance the plastic could rest against or lean on my bags over time. I’d worry that would make them stick.

Again, I have zero facts to say that would happen. It would just be a slight concern bumbling through my head.