Haircalf -sleek kitty, or more wet dog?

Nov 2, 2009
I have been bitten by the urge to obtain a bag in haircalf leather. But, the very small practicable part of my brain is wondering how weather proof this finish is. I can just see a lovely (expensive) haircalf bag getting soaked by a big dirty rain or snow splodge. I know that Mulberry recommend Collonil (reckon they must own that company!!!), but has anyone had experience of this finish in adverse weather, and does it survive and look just as good afterwards -or, would it remind me of my JR's after they have been out in the rain!! :nuts:

All advice greatly received!

(I am contemplating snow leopard or another type of leopard, or if I ever see it again, the neon pink Mitzy Hobo that Manchester had last year!)

I have no experience of the haircalf at all.

My guess would be that it would probably fair ok in the rain without staining. after all you don't see many water stained cows etc walking about!:nuts:

Dirt would probably clean off ok too, I reckon. It certainly brushes/wipes off a horse,ok. :nuts:

I think the main danger would be balding and the hair rubbing off esp the bits most handled and in contact with your body. Someone on here mentioned recently that a Mulberry SA warned them that this could be an issue with a hairy leopard Lily bag and as such they did not buy it. But if you are considering it as a special bag that would not be used day to day then hopefully it would be fine with light and careful usage. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon to advise! :P

Heh heh! Seriously I have never known a horse get a dirt or water mark on it that did not dry and come off and cows must be the same. I reckon it would be fine!

I can't actually think of anyone on here who has a haircalf bag? Don't think anyone has revealed one recently.

Hang on, I seem to recall that LMM has a Hairy Mitzy :nuts:!!

She might just be your girl :smile: xx

I do not like enabling generally, but here I cannot help getting involved... I think haircalf is a very practical finish - will not scratch (very important issue with normal leather)! will not get any stains! And even grease stains will not look bad. Regarding balding - I personally would be prepared to keep wearing the bag until it gets completely bald, if this is the bag that I had from new. I would not want a bald bag worn by someone else before me though... So far I have not noticed any hair loss at all, but I cannot claim that I wore the bag a lot...
The feeling I get from holding a hair-calf bag is great, I cannot possubly feel down... it is like a real calf, there is something like a nature energy present...
...I did not drink:nuts:

Korzinka, thank you very much for your help! I am totally with you, not bothered by balding if I bought the bag from new. I would be buying the bag with that knowledge, so it would not bother me. I loved handling the Haircalf Alexa clutch and the snow leopard shimmy -had to keep touching them, did not want to put them down! So, I would love to be carrying one..

Well spotted, MM!!! There are the 5 bags I have bought recently to add (not all received yet...), and then there's my current obsession -which has not materialised yet, its still in the incubation period..

Oooh hello .. you rang?? :biggrin:

I love my Hairy Mitzy I will have you know :P

I bought it knowing that it would not be an every day sorta bag .. & it has only been used on special occasions so far!

I havent treated mine yet (I am so lazy!) but then I dont take her out if there is the slightest hint of rain or anything nasty like that!

In four short words .. I AM A WUSS!! :nuts:

I would say you should go for it, as you know what you are getting yourself into re any possible balding etc .. that would take quite some time to happen!

Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you LMM! I have just been looking at the different ones on .com, and loving quite a few of them.. But I will only be getting the one!!

I bet your RN Haircalf Mitzy is beautiful -I only saw it in hot pink in the Manchester shop -at the time I was buying my first oak Mitzy Hobo, so was not interested. But it did look stunning! Now that we have drier weather you should take her for a trip or 2!

I will do a separate reveal when I get one!

I have a calf hair Mabel but like LMM I have only used it on special occasions. As it was brought from the York outlet I didn't pay full price so I am not worried about the hair loss. Haven't used her in the rain but I have sprayed her to protect her and she has been fine.

Last edited: