Hair: To simply layer or To razor comb?

TheWinglessBird

Elegance Is Refusal
Nov 24, 2007
London
Does anybody use the razor comb technique?

My hair is almost exactly like Avril Lavignes, only it's real. I have very long, layered, straight hair, BUT something has really been bugging me about hers for some time, & that's the layering. Her layers (or the tips of her natural hair) are thin & light, where as mine are kinda choppy. I want my layers to look less choppy, & I was thinking that the razor comb could be the answer??

Does anybody think she uses this technique on her hair? Perhaps someone who has this themselves could identify for me.

TIA.

kippeydale

Apr 8, 2008
Missouri
I personally always just hated the "feel" of having my hair razored. I also felt like afterward, my hair didn't look wispy or cool. Instead, I just had split ends.

TheWinglessBird

Elegance Is Refusal
Nov 24, 2007
London
Oh dear :sad: I was hoping that by razor combing, it would also catch the split ends without really getting hardly any length taken off from it...

claireZk

Jun 18, 2007
Razoring does give you those light, wispy layers, but it's not great for all hair types. I'd just bring in Avril's pics & explain to the stylist that you want softer layers (not so choppy). They'll know what to do :yes:

kippeydale

Apr 8, 2008
Missouri
Razoring does give you those light, wispy layers, but it's not great for all hair types. I'd just bring in Avril's pics & explain to the stylist that you want softer layers (not so choppy). They'll know what to do :yes:

Yeah...my hair is really, really thick and heavy...so that could have been the source of razor failure..haha!

claireZk

Jun 18, 2007
^ Definitely and the stylist should've realized that! It seems like it just doesn't work for a lot of people...

I have somewhat fine hair, but it's very thick. It actually looks great razored and flat ironed, BUT it looks terrible after ~5-6 weeks when it's grown out. It just looks like split ends :hrmm:

TheWinglessBird

Elegance Is Refusal
Nov 24, 2007
London
Thank you for your advice & sharing your experience, Claire!

My hair used to be thick... my auntie used to tell me that I should be lucky. It was thick, gorgeous & healthy. But I didn't see it that way, so I used to brush my hair ALOT just to get my hair thinner like all the other girls... I think these days my hair actually is alot thinner, but not as thin as others. Quite inbetween.

I will follow your advice, Claire :amuse: